I HAVE A PLAN!: Week 2 – July 30th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi everyone. I was just not in the zone yesterday but today is a new one and a new start …. again! I think it’s just my general state of mind at the moment rather than this WOE. I think I need to extend ‘my plan’ to other aspects of my life as well at the moment. Maybe I’ll get my jigsaw out again!
    Have a good day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I am not a puzzle person but do love Suduko (only the easier ones) and I have a very old version of mahjong on my computer from XP days that I love doing also.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia I do sudoku as well but I like the very hard ones! I’ve never looked at mahjong but maybe I will. At the moment I’m making cauliflower and red pepper soup so that keeping my hands busy!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning!
    Krysia, is your 20 grams of carbs daily a gross number or do you subtract your fiber from it? What do you usually get for grams of fiber? Can you give a sample day of food for you? Thanks!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Ooh verano cauliflower and red pepper soup sounds Delicious! Making me think about lunch!
    I’m going on a spa day and dinner with my friends on Saturday who I’ve not seen in a year. We’ve been looking forward to this day for months now, we have a cream tea booked and then dinner at a really fancy restaurant and we’re all leaving our husbands to look after the kids and spoiling ourselves for one day. So I guess this week for me is more of a 5:2 than a strict 800 cal, as we won’t have another reunion until next year…we all live too far from each other. I don’t want to spoil this one day by stressing about food, so I’m going to follow the principles of the diet this week but relax on Saturday. Then my plan for Monday is to really hit the 800cals/20g carbs hard and watch the weight melt off 😂😂
    Lovely sunny weather here today so am managing a short walk which always helps give me perspective. Just five minutes on your own in the sunshine away from noise and people really can help your frame of mind…verano if you can spare 5/10 minutes try just going for a quick stroll somewhere quiet and see if that helps straighten things out in your head xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi V, don’t worry about not being in the zone yesterday. We all have days like that, secret is not to let it knock you off course, but sounds like you’re doing your best to ensure that doesn’t happen. Not feeling like your in the right mind set doesn’t help, but see if you can fine a little quiet time for yourself to try to gain some focus.

I’m sure if you try to apply the BSD principles on Saturday, there shouldn’t be too much adverse affect from letting your hair down a little, Mrs T.

Managed 23hrs before breaking my fast yesterday, but not too impressed with the results on the scales this morning. Still, on a 16:8 day to day, so hopefully will help to push progress forward. Doing okay with not sitting at the pc for longer than 20mins, it’s there or there abouts anyway.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Violinist – in the UK the fibre is already subtracted from the total carbs. I base my 20g on the net carbs.

This is what I am eating today:
    Breakfast
    Inulin 15g
    Flaked almonds 10g
    Milled flax seeds 10g
    Kefir 50g
    Cinnamon 2g
    Greek Yoghurt 40g
    Blueberries 20g
    Smoked Mackeral 50g
    Avocado 60g

Lunch
    Chicken – 100g
    Asparagus 4 stalks
    Chard & Kale probably 50g
    Mushrooms 50g
    Butter 5g (maybe more)
    Inulin 15g
    Flaked almonds 10g
    Kefir 50g
    Cinnamon 2g
    10g 70% dark chocolate

Double Cream 100ml

So Fat secret says
    Fat 105.61
    Total Carbs 55.07 made up of Fibre 36.7g and net carbs 18.40
    Protein 63.14g

Verano – I am impressed that you do the harder version of Suduku

• posted by Verano
    on

SunnyB you are right I need some ‘quiet’ time. I was using Headspacebut haven’t for quite a while. I will make some time to get back to it.
    I admire 23hours. Do you finish eating quite early the evening before? I just manage 15 to 16 and that’s a struggle.
    Mrs T the cauliflower soup is lovely but a bit fiddly because you have to roast then peel the peppers. I guess you could use a jar of peppers but I’ve never done that. Maybe you have started BSD at a bad time…. party and time away. Some people say that if you get a good few weeks on plan behind you then it’s easier to stay on plan in the long term. Maybe you should just make next Monday your ‘day 1’ although that isn’t license to go nuts over the weekend!
    Think I will have a little read in the garden which might just get me back into the zone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia I just answered the question asked by Violinist on the eatwell page. Just glad I got it right! My that sounds like a lot of food how many calories are in that?
    Yes the soduku book I have is an old copy of the New York Post platinum collection of 150 fiendish puzzles but it’s taking me years to do them!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thank you Krysia and Verano!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

I have been struggling with keeping the carbs down, I thought. But now that I know I can subtract the fiber, I AM GOOD TO GO!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano and Violinist – forgot to add the total calories. Fat Secret says 1364 calories. Husband cooked lunch and I noticed he also added some courgettes to the veggies which I didn’t log.

Verano you are right – it is a lot of food. I was aiming for 1500 calories but I knew that there was no way I could eat anymore.

Violinist – it is great we can subtract the fibre. I love veggies, yoghurt and kefir and it would be so horrible to have to survive on 20g total carbs.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Krysia, I aggre as that is what I have been trying to do and it is impossible!!!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Verano you’re right I’ve started the BSD at the wrong time. I’m going to be sensible but enjoy my time with my friends and then on Monday I’m going to follow this properly…there will be no distractions. We’ll be going to the IOW to visit my parents in August but my mum will always be very supportive of BSD diet so that will be really helpful, she’ll be glad I’m trying to lose some weight. I’m more determined than ever that on Monday I’m going to really get this diet going whole heartedly.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh my gosh, Violinist! If you have not subtracted the fiber from the carbohydrate count, you really have been suffering (although, you’ve also been incredibly low carb!)
    Here’s my typical low carb day —
    Breakfast:
    Egg, cheese, coffee with heavy cream (1-2 Tablespoons depending on how many calories I want) (all 0 carbs), 24 whole natural almonds (6 grams carbohydrate, 3 gram fiber — so 3 net carbs),
    or maybe some bacon or left over meat slices from fridge (0 carbs).
    Lunch:
    Big salad with kale and arugula and romaine (so low carbs on greens that I simply don’t count them) topped with meat (chicken or tuna or leftover dinner) homemade olive oil dressing with whole grain mustard), sprinkling of Parmesan, pepitas (4 carb total, 3 fiber, net 1), broccoli or red pepper (2-3 net carbs), artichoke hearts (1-2 carb), avocado etc..
    Dinner:
    Almost always a protein (fish, chicken, beef) prepared any way I want with a side of greens (collards, kale, chard, spinach) either sautéed in butter or topped with olive oil and lemon juice or baked in a casserole (calories permitting) and then another green veg if I’m still hungry.
    Hey, I just remembered that Dr. Perlmutter is from Florida and I love his books and recipes — he is one of my go-to guys for ideas — he has restaurants in Florida — I’m not sure where! Anyway, his Grain Brain Cookbook is excellent.

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia and Californiagirl I’m really impressed with you of low carb counts. I think I need to rethink my plan. I used to check out carbs and leave out anything too high but now I just eat them anyway and adjust my carb allowance upwards! Naughty and not helpful either.

• posted by Violinist
    on

California girl, I know it! I have asked you guys quite a few times but now understand that it wasn’t clear that US does not combine fiber and carbs on any ingredients. I am glad to eat a few more carbs as I need the extra fiber and can’t get it without increase carbs! Yipppeee!!!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Calofornia girl, thanks for the author/doctor idea!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m glad that you’ve got it, Violinist! Simply put, on our side of the pond, net carbs = total carbs
    minus fiber. When it comes to our labeling, always check the ingredient list item by item, too,
    because sugar masquerades under a lot of names, usually with “ulose” at the end of it!
    Sucralose, fructose corn syrup, etc. Looking at sugar grams alone isn’t enough. I googled
    “different names for sugar” and it was very illuminating!

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Yikes! California girl! You mean when is says 2 grams of sugar, it could mean more?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes, Violinist. (I think you were replying to my post, not californiagirls?). We have K street
    and D.C. sugar lobbyists to thank for this! Google “different names for sugar” and you’ll see
    what I mean. We are unwitting dupes, unless we stay one foot ahead of them. Have you
    had a look at the USDA Food Pyramid? 8-10 servings of grains per day!!! Salute the grain
    lobby, too 🙂

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

What the heck! Ok, I have to go google!!! Thanks Allie!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Today am having an HB1C. If this one is around 40 or under I will be moved from the care of our big diabetes clinic in the City to the care of the excellent Diabetes Nurse at my GP. I so want this move and am hoping the HB1aC will be good. Of course – as usual I am stressing out. I have excellent fasting levels but after meals my blood sugars often take absolutely ages to drop down to fasting. The good thing is they don’t go that high – but it is the uncertainty of not knowing what the outcome of the test will be.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Good luck Krysia! Let us know!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good day, everyone!

Krysia, I know how much you like your local diabetic nurse…Best wishes that you see blood
    results that will allow you to transfer to her care! When will your test results be available?
    We are waiting with you, my friend, so definitely let us know 🙂 You are amazing!

I’m back to weighing on tuesday and friday (necessary before the weekend!) and I’ve
    also started a chart to record my fasting plan for the next 3 months, thanks to reading
    Krysia’s story of the spectacular extra inches lost doing this. So far, this week is going
    great. Hope everyone is feeling the same. Have a wonderful weekend, all 🙂

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have found myself struggling with mind set today, with yet another unfavourable reading on the scales this morning. Nothing huge, but again in the wrong direction and bringing me back above original Target Weight – very frustrating. So, another day at 16:8 and an eagle eye on the carbs, in the hope of seeing something better tomorrow. Failing that, it will be a case of right back to basics as of Monday, with full on 800/20, 16:8 and a 20hr fast or two.

Strange isn’t it Verano, that you kicked off week one of I HAVE A PLAN and weren’t thrilled with you results and I kicked off week two and find I’m none too impressed with how I’m doing either. Dare either of us kick off a third week?

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia what a wonderful achievement and a milestone reached if your HbA1c is low enough. After your last few months it should be good. Let us know when you have the results.
    There’s an article in the Daily Mail this morning about intermittent fasting and it seems that it’s acceptable. Prof. Taylor says you only need 8hrs to utilise the glucose from your last meal , although it does take quite a long time more to start burning fat stores. Interesting article nonetheless.
    Have a good weekend.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny our posts crossed in the ether! I’m putting that down to pure coincidence! I only started this thread because MaggieBath wasn’t around to continue with a further weekly challenge. To be honest I’ve been floundering for months now. I just don’t seem to be able to motivate myself at all. I’m putting it down to the warm weather making my body think it’s on ‘holiday’. So being in ‘holiday’ mode I’ve let things slip. Roll on the normal gloomy wet summer we usually have here!
    Sunny maybe you should leave the scales alone for a few days. You were away for four months and gained so little. You obviously just listened to your body maybe that’s the way for you to go for the moment?
    As for the third week …. count me out, I daren’t take the chance …. just in case!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey V – sorry the past few months have been a battle. You might be right about the holiday mindset – it’s certainly one I’m struggling to switch off. I’ll give suspending the daily use of the scales some thought, perhaps I’ll stay off until Monday morning and then look at make a plan for the next week.

Can understand your reluctance to risk being the one to kick of another weekly thread, V. If anyone else would like to kick off week three of ‘I HAVE A PLAN’ please say. However, if no one else what’s to take up the reigns, I will kick off week three, as I find it helpful to tackle a week at a time and useful to have somewhere to report progress (or lack of) through the week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh V., I’m so sorry that it has been a struggle for you of late. I wish I had something motivational
    to suggest….Maybe you just have to keep searching inward until you find it? With you in spirit,
    my friend!
    Sunny, I’m a believer in this thread, too! I’m always happy to help, so I’ll be carrying on also.
    Squidge, what do you think? Caron?

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunny I know I’m still in ‘holiday mode’ with all the warm weather we are having. Unfortunately I’ve been in this mode since last November when we went away. Away for three weeks, home for my ‘big’ birthday party, Christmas and New Year then away again New Years Day for four weeks! Since then we have been in ‘ holiday mode’ for about 10 weeks , although not altogether. Then of course we have the warmest summer weather for many years. So, I am in constant holiday mode with long lunches with a glass or two of crisp white, not that often at home though. So hardly any wonder I can’t get into a routine again especially as I don’t have the same enthusiasm as I did on day one.
    Allie you are right I need to search inwardly to find my motivation again. In an odd way I was sorry that my last HbA1c last month was ok because had it been closer to the prediabetes threshold I would definitely thrown myself back into BSD 100%!

• posted by Violinist
    on

I am in for week 3

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie and Verano – I think that it took a week to show up on my online medical records. Will let you know as soon as I get the results.

Allie – what a good idea to start a chart to record your fasting plan for the next few months. Am looking forward to hearing your reports on your progress.

Verano – what you said about you being a little sorry that your HbA1c was OK made perfect sense. I absolutely agree that it does make it harder to get motivated. You mentioned in an earlier post that you were impressed with my carb count (and Californiagirls). In my case it is very easy to stay 20g and under because I have absolutely no room to manoeuvre. It’s either 20g carbs max or inject insulin. As I would hate more than anything to inject insulin again it does make it rather easy to stick to my 20g rule. Even though it is great that it gives me lots of motivation – I do wish that I had been able to halt my diabetes journey at a much earlier stage rather than wait until it was almost too late to do anything about it.

I agree with Allie that maybe you just need to search inwards to find your motivation as you have achieved your original goal with your good Hb1Ac results.

SunnyB – I wonder if you will shortly get the ‘whoosh’ effect and the scales will start going in the right direction?

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for your thoughts. This morning I spent just 5minutes with Headspace, which is the first time since early May, three months! I feel much more relaxed already. I have a pan of soup bubbling away and that always makes me feel good. I am going to spend a little time with my jigsaw today and a new book. Hopefully that will keep me in a relaxed state and enable me to rediscover some motivation.
    Have a good weekend. Allie sounds like you are going to have a veritable Mediterranean feast …. enjoy!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Mornin Verano!
    That sounds like a great day! I wish you to have a calming day. Just love home made soups!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Headspace sounds like a great place to start, V. I seldom do anything just for myself, either
    and seem to always be focused on others. We must be on the same wave length today,
    though, because earlier I filled a pitcher with pure water and added in cucumber slices and
    fresh mint sprigs, just for me 🙂 I plan to enjoy it all day!

Have a wonderful long weekend, everyone,

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello Violinist soup made and packaged in the freezer ready for those quick lunches!
    Allie Headspave is a great app. I’ve only done 4 5 minute exercises but if I wake in the night, which I often do, I just practice the deep breathing and it invariably sends me back to sleep. I know you aren’t the best of sleepers so it may be worth looking at. The first 10 daily exercises are free. I’ve not signed up for the full course yet but I may very well. I just find it so relaxing and you can do it anytime you feel stressed.
    Haven’t got around to the jigsaw yet today but maybe later.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Hi Verano! I actually sleep real well as I fall asleep on the couch at 7:30 pm alot! I am going to check that out!

• posted by Verano
    on

Pleased to hear that Violinist! Sorry it’s Headspace, misspelling on my part. I know Allie doesn’t always sleep too well which is why I mentioned it but I do think the app will be helpful for many.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re so thoughtful, V.! Thank you for remembering my sleep issues. I headed right over
    to the headspace website to have a look, but it seems that the meditations are accessed by
    way of apps, and I’m so primitive that I only have a fliptop portable phone, so no smartphone
    to use. Every month I see more and more reason to get this “device”, and perhaps I should
    just DO IT and stop procrastinating! I’ve been trying to wait until the current contract runs
    out and then make the switch. Maybe a gentle kick in the tail feathers is what is needed 🙂
    I have tried group meditation before, seen many so relaxed in the class that they actually
    fell asleep, but I just seemed to get more aggitated with my inability to do it! In the privacy
    of my own bed, maybe I would be more relaxed?
    Thanks again, V. See you tomorrow!

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning ladies!
    5:11 am this morning. The start of another week!

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie meditation in the privacy of your own home is far better without the distractions of others. There may very well be a computer programme that does a similar thing or even a podcast or cd. Just plugging in headphones and black cling out the rest of the world is relaxing in itself! I’m sure it would be of benefit to you when you wake early.

• posted by Violinist
    on

morning verano

• posted by Verano
    on

Morning Violinist ! Sorry rushing out today but will be back later. Have a good day

• posted by Violinist
    on

OK

• posted by Verano
    on

Some suggestions please. I have just been given a courgette. It’s a monster 1.8kg, yes that’s 1800g! I can use some for soup but need some suggestions for recipes for the rest. It looks more like a marrow than a courgette so you have an idea of the shape.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Do you like ratatouille, V.?

• posted by Verano
    on

I have never made it because I think I hate aubergine …. but maybe I don’t! Do you have a good recipe.?

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’ve been using my grandmother’s recipe all of my adult life, and I’m always happy with it.
    I’m not a fan of aubergine either, but I love it this way! I need to get out in the kitchen and
    rattle some pots and pans now, but I’ll return later in the evening to post it for you 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ratatouille, grandma style:

1 med size aubergine, peeled, leaving some strips on, about 50:50%
    3 sm-med courgette
    6 med. vine ripened tomatoes
    1 red bell pepper
    1 med onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    olive oil, for sauteing
    handful, chopped basil
    1/2 handful chopped parsley
    pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
    freshly grated pecorino romano, or parmesano reggiano, optional
    salt and freshly grated pepper
    optional: dried thyme

Cut red pepper, courgette, aubergine, and tomato in @ 3/4″ cubes
    Saute onion and red pepper in olive oil over med. heat. When translucent, add in garlic,
    and stir til fragrant.
    Add aubergine and cook for @ 3-5 min., til beginning to change color. Add courgette, and saute til
    @ 1/2 cooked. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and dried thyme, if using.
    Finish cooking with pan lid on or off, depending on how liquid the tomatoes are!
    Add herbs and remove from the heat.
    This can be served “as is”, put in an au gratin casserole and topped with cheese and run
    under the broiler, or even served at room temp. There are other versions that add yellow
    peppers, or remove skin from tomatoes, which I don’t do because the skin of the tomatoes
    is where the lycopene is! It is very simple, and accurate measurements are totally
    unimportant. The best part is that it freezes beautifully, and defrosted, makes the quickest
    of dinners with roasted chicken, or just about any grilled meat! I’m sure others will add
    their secrets, but we enjoy it in the simple, rustic style. Thank you, Grandma 🙂
    If you try it, V., let me know what you think! Do any vegetarians here have ideas on how
    to use it with plant based sources of protein? Maybe the addition of canellini beans to
    turn it into a vegetable stew? Go heavy with the basil! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.