I am returning!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

I don’t recall last time I was on here and have decided to log back in and give myself another go at this WoE!
    I was looking at the info on here and it seems I am drawn to this : BSD Low Carb Med Style
    It seems a gentler approach rather than a radical one but I could very well be mistaken…
    Is anyone doing this or done it?
    I note some folk are still around on here and that is actually encouraging!
    My diabetes is a bit better controlled due to the semiglutide injection ( ozempic) but getting harder to get hold of…but I am aware my cholesterol is a high 6 ( I refuse to do statins before I try this)
    I also have Coeliac and so should eat a gluten free diet…both diets have sent me crazy when planning!
    I am addicted to sugar and need to curb it
    I think following this bsd and adjusting my intake will hlep massively so any help, advice etc please feel free to add your thoughts…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi 1960smp, I think I recognise the name or maybe there was another 1960. I have been around for over 7 years and it is not because this doesn’t work, but because it does. Okay my weight loss varies but I weight around 24lbs less than when I started. I also have good control of my Type 2 but never got into remission – I was 12 year diabetic when I started this plan.

As for the BSD LC Med Style, if it works for you. If you join one of the usual threads like the August one or the bus one you will see we are doing a mix of different plans. If that is what you find works and is workable for you then go ahead.

As for the statins. All I can do is offer my experience. I have been on various doses for around 25 years. The only side effect was muscle cramps which may or may not have been caused by the drug. I still had the cramps when my doctor took me off. Also when he took me off my cholesterol went from around 4 to 7 within a few months. Since then I have had a serious vascular problem (wont bore you) and the surgeon put me on 40mg and said I must get my cholesterol down even though it was around 3.5 which is good but not for diabetics. Then I saw a keen young replacement doctor and she put me on 80mg. Within 2 weeks my cholesterol was down to 2.5 and everyone is very happy with that (my doctor, cardiologist and vascular surgeon). Apparently, statins have other good effects and can lower blood pressure and, most importantly can protect you from alzheimers. It is totally up to you but they can do more good than harm.

BTW you don’t really need carbs. Maybe you crave carbs but driving that craving are the carbs. Once you get used to not having them your body will not crave them as much.

Anyway, good to see you back and please join us on the other threads or ask if you have any questions.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Thanku Sunshine – girl for your reply! I do recall you actually!
    Interesting about the stats!
    I think I was drawn to the lc med bsd as I am nervous about failing because I might eat too low…but am sure that is a natural response!! I will check out the threads but not sure I understand which you mean: the ‘bus one’ ? could be a typo
    I have just seen that MM has a keto book too. Gosh I nearly have the set lol which really isn’t funny…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi you are right, the bus has reached its destination 🙂 it was a thread about jumping on the Easter/holiday/christmas bus, running for a few months so people had a longer time to reach goals. It seems to have gone, but there is a long running one called healthy new me, and we also have an August thread.

Your worries about going too low are understandable. Funny thing is your body soon gets used to the lower calories. Also, what we call ‘low’ alters over time. My doctor says stay within 85 and 125. I am more than happy with 85 but if I get up one morning and I am down to 75 I don’t panic or run for the jam and bread (yes, that’s what I used to do for a quick fix). Now I just have a slightly bigger breakfast and maybe eat immediately. When I first started I did a thread called something like Help What are we Doing to Ourselves. My BG went from about 200 to 130 in 3 days and I was terrified. But that is safe and what the diet is meant to do. If you are worried and you see low results maybe you could talk to your diabetic advisor and reduce one or more of the meds you are taking. Do it with medical advice but be aware doctors don’t want to hear about 800 cals or low carbing, most don’t think it works, however, that is changing.

Try the lc med style if it suits you and you stay on track, you can experiment later if you feel you want to.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

I may well be procrastinating but, the effort of planning meals is daunting to me at the moment!
    I must make a start tho.
    I recently invested in a vitamix blender and so, soup should be a doddle if nothing else!
    I enjoy a good salad, meat / chicken / cheese so I should crack on and read BSD recipes to plan better…

Please log in or register to post a reply.