Hypos – Most effective food for dealing with a hypo

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MissT
    on

Just had my 2nd hypo since starting BSD 3 weeks ago. I’m not worried as still adjusting and my insulin needs have dropped by half!! However, in the past I would use wholemeal bread and jam or M&S mini Flapjacks to deal with a hypo. Since starting this diet I don’t keep anything like that in the cupboard as I don’t want to fall off the wagon! Does anyone have any suggestions about which foods would best treat a hypo? Also, I suffer a feeding frenzy when I hypo. Completely out of control eating until I’m stuffed and fall asleep exhausted when I stop. It’s a horrible feeling and something I can’t seem to control. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance 😘

• posted by Ziggy
    on

A lot of folks (type 1) on my diabetes forum use lucozade, or fruit pastilles or glucose tablets. They are carby but when you are hypo you need those quick acting sugary carbs. The feeding frenzy is a rebound effect by the body from being low, the sooner you treat a hypo the better

• posted by LisaCotter78
    on

I used to get Hypos with metaformin , I was on a low GI diet not this one but I used to have some almonds and cheese it did help 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.