How to work out carb in grams

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sandi
    on

Hi I’m day 4 into the 800 cal diet and going really well. While I don’t have diabetes I am at very high risk as I had gestational diabetes (4 years ago) and at a month off 40 years old, realise i need to act before it becomes reality. Lucky for me my hubby is on board (keen to remove a few kilos) and happy with the change in meals. I am following the recipes in the book and hovering around the 750-850 intake daily. My question is people are talking about 50g of carbs … how do you work that out? I don’t remember reading how to work that out. I am happy to keep on the meals in the book as I find them tasty and filling but I have no idea if my carb intake is right or how to work it out should I want to pick other recipes that aren’t in the book, thanks in advance, cheers Sandi

• posted by DJDAussie
    on

Hi Sandy, well done so far…. I think you will find that most people are entering their food intake in phone apps…I use myfitnesspal which then breaks down each food entered into protein, carbs and fat. ☺

• posted by neohdiver
    on

The BSD does not suggest or require counting carbs.

I do count carbs, because I have T2 diabetes and more than 20 carbs in a sitting (prior to this diet) took my blood sugar out of the normal range. The recipes here often exceed 20 carbs – and I am trying to use them as-is, because the theory behind this diet is that certain kinds of high density carbs should be included (brown rice, legumes are two). I’ve had one very successful trial with chick-peas (33 net carbs, with my BG staying around 110 (6.1), if I recall correctly.

I use myfitnesspal.com – I’ve tracked every bite since around mid-October.

• posted by Sandi
    on

Thank both for your wonderful answers they are a huge help. I will try those apps, I am current tracking food/calorie in take through the Fitbit app. I hope this isn’t a dumb question but when you input food do you add each ingredient or custome add a meal with the calories outlined in the book?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Sandi,
    A few people have found that the calorie count isn’t very accurate so I would add each ingredient. Does your app have a section for recipes? If you save it in recipes you can refer to it if you make the same meal again. I’m not familiar with the fitbit app sorry.
    If you are doing the diet to lose weight and not because you currently have blood sugar issues then just stick with the plan and not worry about carbs too much. You will lose weight on 800 cals. It’s only when you move to maintenance that you might need to consider carb values of certain foods as well as calories. Those of us managing blood sugar levels, as neohdiver says, need to monitor carb intake.

Please log in or register to post a reply.