How to pull it back?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Liverbird
    on

Was doing really well. Lost 13 lbs in 4 weeks, blood glucose levels were really healthy. However, It was my birthday last week and I had guests to stay for 4 nights and was away for 2. A carb blow out on my birthday. Crisps and booze every night last week, a piece of bread most days. Thankfully did lots of walking so only put on a pound.

Finding it hard to get back on track this week. Crisps are my downfall and today I struggled. Feeling pissed off at work. Sweets for on the table during the meeting, had 5. Had crisps and a small piece of cake at lunchtime (with my healthy high protein, low carb salad :-).Popcorn a bit later, more crips when I came in (though no booze since last Friday). Not surpsingly my blood glucose was 8.7 about 2 and a half hours after my meal tonight.

I should have plenty to keep me focused: a dress for a wedding do in hanging on my door that is a bit tight and I want to get into comfortably in 10 days time , going to Nepal in 3 weeks time and, most importantly, seeing the diabetes nurse in 12 days time. Yet I feel like I can’t be arsed. My mood feels really flat. How do other people push through times like this and pull it back on track? Thanks in advance.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

So you have no will power when you eat carbs? big surprise. Until you desist you will remain an addict. Hard but true. You have been eating in a way that defeats your objective and effectively until you have a better reason to be healthy, eat properly and learn the life changing lessons you will be unlikely to succeed. So, what to do. Simples. You must plan ahead and do this with the knowledge that many of us have failed at times but just started again from wherever we happen to be. Your continued good health is at risk, your poor attitude to carb eating will only change when you admit that you are an addict. But welcome to the club. We are here to advise, cajole and discuss but you have to be the one that makes the effort as the results are really only for you and if you are worth it – of course you are, do it for yourself and make a stab at saying No! from now. When you up the protein and fats you will not feel hungry when you switch into fat burning and it is downhill from there. Keep smiling it’s only food but it can surely kill you if you let it but it may take years. IF THAT SEEMS HARSH – YOU ASKED AND IT IS, AFTER ALL, ONLY MY OPINION – YOU ARE FREE TO IGNORE ME.

• posted by Maefly
    on

What do people do? They come to the forum and get some cracking advice from all the wonderful people here.
    It is really tough when your head is not in the right place. You have lots of reasons to keep going but they seem to have lost their ability to motivate you. Perhaps you are putting too much pressure on yourself? Try taking it a day (a meal?) at a time. Don’t think about the dress, the holiday or the nurse, you are doing this for you. Re-focus. Try getting into the Mindfulness thing, de-stress. It may be the carbs that are making you feel lethargic and wooly-headed. Drink lots of water and keep moving!
    I hope you get your mojo back soon.

• posted by Sandie
    on

Do something like jump or dance or swim or walk. Just enjoy living by being lively.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Liverbird,
    Skywalker and Maefly have wise words. Carb addiction is real. Take heed from the principles of the BSD and organisations that deal with addiction and treat the white carbs like that. Remember nobody has willpower when addictions are involved.

Over the past 9 weeks I’ve thought long and hard about celebrations (eg. birthdays, weddings etc) and what will be appropriate to eat.

We all have to make our own decisions. I will share mine.
    The one day a year that is my birthday will be celebrated and yes, I will have a slice of cake. I may even have a meal at a restaurant. But that’s where it stops.

I’m attempting to put the simple carbs back where they belong which is in the occasional category. It’s hard work. I’m not always successful. For me the BSD way of life is exactly that – a way of life. I will still celebrate special occasions in a socially appropriate way, but my choice is not to go on a simple carb ‘bender’.

Best wishes for working out what to do.

Please log in or register to post a reply.