how much sugar?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Annadongela
    on

Hi all

Day 13 in the fat loss household. I’m measuring everything I’m eating with the myfitnesspal app and am keeping my calories at <800 and my carbs <45. What about sugar though? What should that be? Without paying for the app it thinks I am on 1200 calories for weight loss (can only tell it 800 if I pay a monthly subscription). On my recommended calories its says I should have 150 carbs (which I’m not), 40g of fat, again not usually anywhere near this, 60g protein which I usually go over, 25g of fibre, I usually manage about 5g and 45g of sugar which I am sometimes close to. Is 45g of sugar too high on this diet? Would that explain why I haven’t lost a lot? Only 7lb in 13 days 🙁

Thanks

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Anna
    Do you mean actual sugar? If so, the answer is none at all. If you mean sugars in veg etc, it comes into your carbs allowance. BTW I had to cut down to less than 30 gms of carbs to lose. Hope this helps
    Penny

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Totally agree with Penny
    This is the blood sugar diet, developed for diabetics, and sugar is an absolute no no.
    Most folk on here are also trying to keep the carbs down to 50g or below too.

• posted by Annadongela
    on

Thanks for your reply. The myfitnesspal app gives me the carbs which I am keeping below 45 but it also gives the sugars that are in there too. This is hidden sugar such as that in milk – I have 200ml of semi skimmed milk a day and it has 13g of sugar as well as 13g of carbs, or natural sugars in the raspberries that I have in my morning smoothie – they must be allowed as they are in the recipes in the diet book. (I have half a cup of raspberries which gives 9g of carbs and 6g of sugar (unless it is saying how much of the carbs turn to sugar??)). I do have the occasional coffee with real sugar in so I know they’re a no-no, but I’m trying to get my head around the natural sugars and what should be the limit. Hope I’m making sense. Still not seeing a great loss after 2 and half weeks, less than 10lb so it has to be the sugars, right??

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Annadongela, when something has 13g of carbs and 13g of sugar, it means that all the carbs ARE sugar.

So your raspberries are a total of 9g of carbs of which 6g is the sugar and the rest will be the fibre in the fruit.

Generally you are completely right to avoid sugar itself, but other foods do have sugar in various forms, like milk, fruit etc. So try and keep the carbs down low in general, and that will automatically reduce the associated sugar.

Does that make sense?

Good luck!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Anna
    I didn’t realise you meant those sort of sugars. I think we just stick to a carb limit and don’t worry about the sugars.
    BTW I found I had to go lower than 45g carb down to 25-30 to lose weight consistently.
    Best
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi again Anna
    BTW Michael says have full fat milk and not much of it. Full fat has proportionately less sugars but you still need to just have a splash.
    Penny

• posted by Annadongela
    on

Thanks for your reply, missed the notification on this one! Yes, makes sense, thanks

• posted by Annadongela
    on

Thanks Pmshrink. Lost hardly anything last week (3) but it’s picked back up again, seems like lots of folks plateau on week 3 from what I’ve read. Good advice about the whole milk, don’t like it in my drinks but if it keeps the sugars down then I might have to do it.
    Still allowing myself a coffee with sugar and an occasional after eight mint but it’s all counted. Had a couple of days when I went over on both carbs and calories, not by a great deal but enough, and strangely those were the days when I lost the weight the next morning!!

I can really feel a difference in myself. Not much shifting in waist measurements but I can see and feel the difference, jeans are hanging off. Now lost 10lb 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.