How many grams of carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenki82
    on

Hello, am starting the BSD tomorrow and I have bought the book and recipe book and have given them a good read, I just wanted to check how many grams of carbs, fat and protein should I be aiming for a day ? Thank you

• posted by JGwen
    on

The formula that is recommended by a number of sources. is
    20g <> 50g of carbs. (If you are insulin resistant you will need to be under 20g, but some people can cope with 50g)
    0.6g to 0.8g per 1kg of TARGET weight in protein.
    The rest of your calories come from heathy fats.

• posted by SunilDogra
    on

Hi
    As per the research the carbs provide around 45-65% callories of our daily intake. So consume 2000-calorie diet, you should aim for about 225 to 325 grams of carbs per day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

SunilDogra
    I totally believed that 45-65% of my calories should come from carbs. I effortlessly ate the recommended 235 to 325 grams of carbs a day and really really loved this way of eating.

Very sadly it led to diabetes so severe that it caused diabetic retinopathy and macular oedema (costing the NHS £600 each time i had a lucentis injection into my eye) and steadily worsening neuropathy in my foot which would have ultimately resulted in an amputation.

As a last ditch effort to save my sight in 2016 I started the BSD and cut my carbs initially to 50g a day but then lowered to 20g because my pancreas has been so damaged by all those ‘healthy ‘ carbs and couldn’t cope with 50g. Now diabetes is in remission and the eye and foot problems are no more.

My DN totally supports me eating this level of carbs as the way for me to stay healthy and free from diabetes in the future.

Please log in or register to post a reply.