How is it everyone seems to know how to do this?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by allione
    on

I have unsuccessfully tried to start and stick to the this diet twice in two weeks. Everyone on here seems to know about how many carbs they should have each day (what, how ??) also how do you begin sticking to the 800 calories does everyone just make the exact recipes in the book ( I am vegetarian so need to adapt them) I cannot believe so many people can do this I just seem to find it overwhelming and then give in to temptation, I have terrible sugar addiction.

I am crying out for help here I just need some help getting on this plan and would appreciate any guidance.

Many thanks in advance
    Alli

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    I am a vegetarian as well, and I had great difficulty initially in sticking to it. – Depending on how much weight you have to loose, and what your diet is like your body may be so used to living off carbs that starting is hard. – What I did initially was cut out all the “big carbs”, rice, pasta, bread, sugar, pizza and chocolate. –
    Then I used the fatsecret app on my mobile phone to monitor what I was eating and tweak it to reduce the carbs further. –

The book doesn’t mention ideal ratios of carbs, protein and fat. But then the book is focused on doing just one 8 week session for rapid weight loss, and doesn’t cover in detail options for those with a lot of weight to loose who need to continue. One of the advantages of this forum is that people are free to research similar protocols and read different research papers and compare notes. – Out of that has come the consensus on the target carb, protein and fat ratios to follow if you want to do multiple rounds. – If you would like me to explain the reasons I will be happy to share them, but if your head is spinning right now just follow these guidelines. I know its difficult for a vegetarian, but ideally carbs should be under 20g a day to be sure you are in ketosis. You may be able to get away with 50g and it wouldn’t hurt to set that as your target for your first few weeks. Protein in the range 0.6g to 0.8g per Kg of TARGET weight (not current weight) and rest of your calories from healthy fats.

You may struggle, you may fall off the waggon a few times, but each time just dust yourself off and climb back on and it will get easier and easier. The secret is to focus on cutting back on the carbs, it is that which is causing you the hunger pangs and cravings that drag you off the waggon. If you need reassurance that this way of eating does work. I started back in October 2017, am down over 6.5 stone, just recently my weight has stayed stable but I am continuing to loose inches as I combine this way of eating with weight training.

——————-

There are two regular threads, a weekly challenge and a road trip where people set themselves targets for a longer period. On both you will find a mixture of newcomers right through to people who have been maintaining their weight loss on this way of eating for a few years now. Come and join in one of the threads you will be warmly greeted and receive a helping hand from others.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Allione

I started by reading the Blood Sugar Diet Book and like JGwen simply cut out bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, sugar. I too am a vegetarian. For breakfast I ate the same thing all week, Greek yoghurt with raspberries or blueberries. At weekend I had an egg and some mushrooms or scrambled eggs with cheese. Lunchtime was cheese and salad or egg and salad or quorn slices and salad, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and celery a few nuts, Home made cream of mushroom soup. Evening meal was a cheese or mushroom omelette, halloumi and roasted vegetables, cauliflower cheese, I made the cottage pie with quorn and cauliflower mash. Quorn sausages with mushrooms and cabbage or broccoli, There are some lovely vegetarian recipes on the recipe page of this forum. I didn’t know about macros. I just avoided the white carbs and gradually started to lose weight. Keep things simple and eat simple food to get you in the swing of things. Just by avoiding the bread, rice, potatoes pasta you will lose weight and you will also notice that you don’t feel hungry once you ditch the carbs.

Hope this helps you to realise that this way of eating doesn’t have to be complicated, .

• posted by Squidge
    on

Cutting out the worst stuff – sugar, bread, cakes, biscuits, pastry, pasta and white rice is an excellent place to start if doing the complete diet seems too much.

It might seem we all know what we’re doing, but we’ve all had slip ups and/or adapted the diet to suit us and experimented until we’ve found what works best for us personally.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi Allione,
    Like the others have said you don’t have to eat 800!cals on the first day. If you’ve tried it twice and it’s not working don’t focus on the numbers just ditch the beige carbs. You can tweak things as you go along and refine your nutrition. Just pop back and ask. The book was my inspiration to start but the forum has kept me going.
    I’ve never used the recipes from the book but found it easier to adapt things I already ate. The first couple of weeks my diet was quite repetitive. I’ve found some lovely inspiration on this forum and great advice.
    The key is to start and not give up when you inevitably make mistakes and slip a bit. We’ve all been where you are.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi allione and welcome to the forum.
    I feel I too have to add my tuppence worth here. Like you, I also have a massive sugar addiction or to be more precise a chocolate addiction. I started the BSD on 7th January thinking there was no way I could ever stick to it. I’ll be honest and admit I didn’t stick rigidly to it but I did enough to lose over a stone, reduce my blood sugar levels to near normal range and also reduce my diabetic medication. I’m not perfect and I regularly fall off the wagon and give in to cravings or at times choose to step off the wagon and back on again at events or celebrations etc. I used to live on chocolate and never thought I could cut back on it. Even my diabetic nurse was surprised at what I have achieved. Nowadays If I overload on chocolate and carbs I feel physically ill.
    If I can do this then anyone can. Just stick with it as best as you can and tweak it to suit you. Coming onto the forum everyday with all these lovely people and their support, enthusiasm, advice and encouragement has been brilliant. It’s the people on this forum that has kept me going. I’d have given up long ago without them.
    Good luck

• posted by allione
    on

Thank you all so much, you are such an inspiration, I will try my best to work the plan out and fight the sugar demons along the way, I do hope I can actually lose some weight and break my binge habits!!

x

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Allione welcome!

The best thing you could have done is join this forum😁. Like the others have all said if it wasn’t for our home here we would never have got on the wagon!

I would like to repeat what they have all said and that, it is the carbs that need to go first. You may find it difficult as your stomach bacteria will cry out for it and your brain will engaged with them and force you to eat them and probably binge on them, as you will NEVER feel full on them! Have no fear though as it can take as little as a coupe of days to lose half a stone once you have got rid of them and start drinking your 2-3 litres of water. I started on Monday April the 1st at 18stone and by Tuesday I had lost 6lbs! By Saturday I had lost 13lbs! Amazing and my first week was rubbish! I went over the 800 calories on a daily basis! Some days a lot and some days a little but I couldn’t stay at 800! I came on here and said I am doing rubbish and everyone spoke up and guided me, which was fab. The next thing I realised I had made a rookie mistake and that was my protein😳. I was consuming 70-80g a day and I should have only been consuming 50g, but I was still discarding weight😁 so can you see what I am saying? That even though I cocked up again and again I still lost a stone in my first week!😝❤️. You will fall off and you may get carb flu but it does work and it can be done simply at first. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself as you are already making a huge change with cutting out carbs hun. It is doable I promise and we are here to pick you back up and answer any questions you may have, no matter what. I would say that the next good thing you could do is join us on our weekly thread entitled One Week At a Time starting for the 21/5/19. Like the title says One Week at a Time is all we can do wether it is a bad week or a good week, it does not matter because we are all on the same journey with all its highs, lows and everything in between. I now weigh 15 stone 7lbs after just 8 weeks (your weight discard will possibly be different as no two bodies are the same🙃) and I have not been perfect.🤣🤣. You can do this and we have your back. Cheering you on with my Pom poms . All the best Birdy💞🦜

Please log in or register to post a reply.