How does your blood sugars change?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JanneB
    on

Hi,
    I’m just passed week 4 on my BSD.
    When I started my morning blood sugars were at around 7.5 with 2 mg of Metformin daily.
    Today, starting week 5, the levels are around 6 (5.9-6.3) without any Metformin at all.

I’m checking around 7 each morning, straight out of bed, before breakfast.

What is you experience? Can the levels drop more the coming weeks?
    Anyone into week 8 or so, who has kept track?

PS I have lost around 18 pounds and 10 cm around the waist during my first 4 weeks. So I’m still a happy pup 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

JanneB my HbA1c went from 8.2 to 6.9 in the first 8 weeks then down to 5.9, so yes, it will keep going down. I am hoping to be down even further when I have my next test in 2 weeks but even if it is the same it will be okay as I am less meds than the last time.

• posted by JanneB
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl,
    Sounds assuring. How long have you been medicating before the BSD?
    Do you still take metformin?
    I have been taking my meds since aprox 2009.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

About 11 years, I started on the usual meds like Metformin and tried many more but the all gave me the trots, so bad I couldn’t move from the house most days. Doctor decided I should try insulin and did warn me I would gain around 15 kg in 6 months, which I did. The reason my HbA1c was so high was because I always kept very low but had some hypo scares so my nutritionist gave me a diet plan which included about 300 grams of carbs, mainly bread, rice and pasta, with a bowl of cereal before bed. Knowing what I do now I wouldn’t have touched it with a barge pole but we live and learn. It has taken me nearly 2 years to get back to my usual 5.9 and I wasn’t getting anywhere until I started this plan. The initial reduction was the biggest and I have dropped half my insulin (from 38 units to 22 units) and 1 third of glycazide (was on 90 mg now on 60 mg). I have been on this plan for 8 months and hope to be insulin free within another 12 months. Not expecting miracles but a hell of a lot more than I could have dared hope for 2 years ago.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

I wasn’t on medication but it was being threatened. My fasting bloods dropped into the normal range, and my latest two HbA1c results have both been in the normal range

I found I needed to keep my daily carbs to around 25g and still do that now, although I reached my target weight and am now maintaining.

Please log in or register to post a reply.