How do I fast in a busy, very long day at work – 16:8 to start?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dlish
    on

I’m concerned about how I am going to manage my fasts in the workplace initially and wondered if anyone had any experience of the 16:8 which I thought might be more manageable initially.

I’m already eating the BSD way but need to lose weight and so I want to fast 2 days a week ideally. However, I am not well at this time (nothing serious just a water and ear infection) and so I want to start gently as my energy is low.

Has anyone tried 16:8 and lost weight this way and is it as effective from a health point of view as the 5:2.

Many thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi, I dont see anything specific to you on the forum but if you type in ‘shift work’ into the search engine lots of posts come up with people talking about managing the plan around work. It might help.

• posted by Cara54
    on

Hi. I do 16:8 all the time. I would say you need to decide when the best time of day for you to eat is, whether it’s one meal or two. You need to eat a reasonable amount but don’t over compensate. I don’t count calories but I try to avoid sugar as much as possible. If you stick with it you will lose weight.

It might take a while to get into a routine. Don’t be too hard on yourself especially if you’ve not been feeling well.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I do 16:8 (roughly) regularly, by only drinking fluids until 1:30 pm ish when I usually have my lunch at work. The only downside is the occasionally noisy tummy gurgle, so it depends on how close you are to any fellow workers whether that is a problem. My colleague is very forgiving.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Why do you think it will be any more challenging to fast at work? I’d imagine in some ways it would be easier, since you don’t have to bother sorting out breakfast with one foot out the door. Is it the food all around you that concerns you? If so, I’m afraid that’s going to be a challenge no matter when you break your fast.

I do 16:8 every day, and often push it back to 18:6, even 20:4 when I feel like shaking things up a little. I just drink water like nobody’s business. If you’re really feeling the hunger gnaw at you, bring some bone broth to work. Heat it up and sip it just like coffee. It feels like you’re eating, and you are getting some nice nutrients, but it still counts as fasting.

Best of luck to you!

• posted by dlish
    on

Thank you!

• posted by dlish
    on

Many thanks really helpful

• posted by lahpic
    on

I work shift work in which my schedule is different every day and do a version of 16:8. I emphasize the fasting time frame more than the feeding window. Basically when I’m done eating for the day (whenever that is), I calculate 16 hours from then before I eat again the next day. I aim for at least 16 hours, but sometimes it turns into 18, 20, or a full 24 hour fast. I also wait 4 hours between meals (and usually only eat two meals a day: low carb, high fat, moderate protein). I just read the book, “The Complete Guide to Fasting” by Dr. Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore, who say that Bullet Proof Coffee (coffee blended with MCT/coconut oil and unsalted grass fed butter, which tastes like a latte and it’s naturally sweet without having sugar in it or added to it) and Bone Broth are acceptable during a fast even though they have calories. This is because they do not trigger an insulin response. I recently started having Bullet Proof Coffee during my fast and it makes the fasting soooooo much easier. It greatly suppresses my appetite and I have no cravings. I’ve been doing this for about a week and find it very sustainable as a way of eating. I’ve been able to loose some weight I had recently gained (about 4 lbs). I also like that it’s flexible.

• posted by Ellarose
    on

Hi, I am doing the 800 calorie version of 5:2 vs. the old 500 calorie version. It’s amazing how an extra 300 calories makes this so totally doable. In addition, I also fast for 14 hours a day, with a 10 hour eating window. I really like what Lahpic said about emphasizing the fasting hours each day instead of the eating window hours. Counting those fasting hours really ensures you have a true fast.

I hope Dr. Mosley writes another book with the revised 5:2 guidelines, emphasizing 5:2 instead of the 8 week thing. I just couldn’t stick to that.

• posted by runrascal
    on

IIRC in the original documentary Michael Mosley didn’t eat anything on his 2 fasting days. Then when the book came out it said 500 calls per day. Anyone know why? I did 5:2 when it was first shown and fasted totally (water and unmilked tea) from dinner the night before to breakfast the day after, 36 hours, being careful not to over feed at dinner in preparation.

• posted by Pam1954
    on

Hi, I am getting back to the 5:2 after a break. Although I have quite a bit to lose, I’m not diabetic and prefer regular fasting to the BSD diet.

I think Doctor Michael intended to make the 5:2 easier by allowing 500 calories a day, but frankly I don’t agree. If I try to stick to such a low figure, I invariably overeat. Fasting to me means just that. I fast for 24 hours – evening meal to evening meal – drinking plenty of water to keep me hydrated. Weight loss is probably slower than the BSD but it suits me. I just wish I hadn’t fallen off the wagon for a few weeks.

• posted by eatingforlife
    on

Hi, I have started 16:8 since the beginning of this term. My window for eating is 12.30pm to 8.30pm but I usually eat my dinner around 6pm so in fact achieve 18:6 most days. This weekend I have been doing an extended fast with just drinking water and I have (so far) managed 42 hours and I am so energised and not hungry yet! I even managed to bake a cake/biscuits yday for guests without so much as licking out the bowl – let alone eating the finished product!
    I started BSD on 1st April this year at 88kg and now I weigh 72kg. My main goal is green BMI which is 68.5kg but I will need some wriggle room and so am aiming for 58kg before I start maintenance.
    I feel so much better on this WOE and hope to keep it for life.

Please log in or register to post a reply.