HIIT

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kando
    on

Does anyone on the BSD do regular High Intensity Interval Training? I am 70 years age and fairly fit and active despite a badly damaged ACL. I had the best results with about 3 to 6 minutes of HIIT daily mixed in with an hour of hill walking and/or Xtrainer aerobic work. Not sure how to ease back into HIIT after a few weeks off it – any suggestions? I used to have a brilliant PT who was sufficiently sadistic to get me moving at 10 km/h uphill for short bursts despite crook knees and obesity. Since retiring recently I simply can’t afford PT sessions.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Kando, my current exercise includes swimming and weights.

In both sessions I try to add in a part of HIIT. For the swims, I normally do a mile of front crawl followed by 5 sprint lengths absolutely flat out (i.e. 5 x 1 slow breast stroke length followed by 1 full tilt front crawl). Also, after my weights sessions, I do a mixture of sprints on either a running, rowing or cycling machine or the horrible leg cycle ones on the TRX.

If you’re out of practice I would suggest just starting off with a couple of minutes, and building up over the course of several weeks.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

I would certainly suggest starting off slow and making sure you don’t overdo the resistance and strengthening exercises. I always joke that MM’s Fast Execise got me to my ideal weight. It did but only because I was following the recommended ladder exercises and ended up in Bristol Spinal Unit. I would always get a GP check as well.

Please log in or register to post a reply.