High readings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Andy started the 8 week diet 3 weeks ago and stopped all his meds two weeks ago , his blood pressure is now perfect but despite his sugars dropping to 7 today they have risen to 11 and 12 , he’s really upset and I’m worried he’ll throw the towel in on the diet , which he’s been brilliant on

• posted by Nettle
    on

HIDE THE TOWEL WENDY.
    N.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Yes , !!!it’s a physiological problem isn’t it being so good , his diet has completely changed and he’s enjoying everything I prepare , he’s lost a stone and is feeling well in himself the only black cloud are these high readings , am I doing something wrong or is it a result of stopping all meds , if so will it settle and then start to decrease

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Sorry auto spell completely changed word ,

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Wendy
    The blood sugars could swing as does our weight from day today. The body also needs adjustment to learn how to work again, the medications took on that role. I’d say early days yet and it gets easier, I can witness that, just starting week 16. Some people have more sensitivity to certain carbs. We are low carb on this plan however the good carbs exist in the diet. The weight loss for hubby must make him feel great. The more you lose the better you will feel, the chemicals in our brain change for the better. Rather than letting him get his hands on that towel, set him shorter goals…like see how we go for this week. How lucky he is to have you doing all the cooking and weighing and calculating. Well done you. Hang in there.
    N.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Many thanks , today is the completion of week 3 , so far 9 kg down , and 10 inches off overall ,6 from waist . The BS readings are still a bit high 9 but dropped to 7 yesterday . Tomorrow Andy has said he’s going to exercise every day , I’m hoping this will help . We are active in general being builders/ painters so your not always in the mood for more exercise at the end of the day , I am however very hopeful . He has given up so much on this diet , although I always cooked a reasonably healthy meal every day I had no control over his crisp and beer habits . I do keep a 90 – 100 calorie snack handy for emergencies , which does have to be included in the 800

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Wendy,
    Back in my early days on the BSD, I experienced the same thing as did Bill and several others.
    It started around week 3 and lasted a few weeks. We did some research and came to the conclusion that this was down to the liver shedding its fat stores, and no longer being restricted by the metformin. As long as pre and post meal blood sugars are fine for the rest of the day try not to worry about the fasting ones. In fact I think one or two people stopped doing fasting readings for a while.
    The whole thing was posted on a thread called ‘ rising fasting blood sugars’ or something similar. Sorry it was months ago and I’m hoping that’s the right name.
    Hope this will reassure him, it seems to just be a phase the body goes through as it adjusts. 😃

Please log in or register to post a reply.