High protein bars yes or no?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

A friend of mine has said that there are protein bars called Grenade Carb Killa in dark chocolate mint

60g bar
    Protein 22g
    Fats 8.5g
    Carbs 13.6g
    of which sugars 0.6g
    of which Polyols 12.1g
    fibre 7.0g
    salt 0.33g

on the front of the bar it highlights 0.6g impact carbs

Any ideas about these bars girls, good or bad?

tot calories 214 per bar

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi GofouritG1RlL – I would say at 214 calories, which is over a quarter of the daily 800 allowance, these would be a waste of calories. There are much healthier options for using this number of calories – yogurt with berries, a small salad, a two egg omelette for instance.

If you want protein bars it is better to make them yourself, so you know exactly what’s in them. I made some peanut ones that came out at 135 calories each, admittedly the carbs were 1.8g per bar (mainly from almond flour) which is higher than the processed product you describe, but at least I knew they weren’t full of E-numbers and suspect fillers.

If it’s the taste of chocolate your after, just have a square of good quality dark chocolate, or you could make some raw chocolate bites using 3tbsp of coconut oil, 2tbsp tahini and 2tsps of maple syrup melted together, into which you stir 6tbsp sifted raw cacao powder, pour into little moulds and refrigerate to set. These may be topped with chopped nuts, seeds or dried fruits if you like. Obviously you need to calculate the cals and carbs if you make these, depending on the number you make.

To summarise, my personal feeling is that products like the Grenade Carb Killa , are best left on the shelf.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Hi SunnyB
    Thank you for your thoughts on these bars. I know your right in what you say, I think I am having a weak moment where Im in week 5 and looking for something different to add to my diet which is low in carbs and sugar, but yummy. I do miss chocolate but I only ever had it maybe once or twice a week.

I am currently eating two eggs for breakfast, sometimes whisked into an omelette and then sprinkle a quarter of a slice of cheddar on top, which fills me up until maybe 11am. It is lunch time that I struggle with. Along side eating pecan nuts and walnuts by the handful,I used to have 4 rice cakes with a mountain of peanut butter in between and never kept an eye on the calories even though i wasn’t eaten too unhealthy..SO…. your recipe for the peanut butter bars would be much appreciated. I always have greek yoghurt and frozen raspberries and blueberries in the freezer and have used flaxseed for a long time, but i am also tiring of that.

Think I need to look up other foods..

Thanks once again…No nasty bars aloud here

• posted by Theodora
    on

Good decision, GofouritGIRL. I agree with SunnyB – if you have to eat sweet things, make them yourself if possible so that you know exactly what you are eating. Or, as she suggests, just have one square of really dark chocolate.

Personally, since starting BSD I have stayed away from all sweet things, as I felt I needed to re-educate my taste buds. I missed chocolate etc at the beginning but now (I am in week 11) I can honestly say it never crosses my mind. If I feel really peckish – although I don’t think hunger has anything to do with it, it’s more wanting a “taste” in my mouth – my “go to” snacks tend to be a couple of brazil nuts, or a slice of prosciutto or, and I shouldn’t be admitting to this as o/h thinks it’s disgusting, I just stick my finger in the marmite jar and lick (finger not jar πŸ˜‰ )

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Hi Theodora …Thank you for just making me laugh, Im sure there is a jar of marmite somewhere in my kitchen.

It is good to get opinions from other members about your decisions, and I am grateful to you all for your support.

As for brazil nuts, I remember years ago my first brazil nut was covered in chocolate, good grief. I tended to stay away from them because of being told that they were fattening even without the chocolate, so haven’t tried one in years(will add to nut list).
    I do like dark chocolate (or should i say did) and remember that it was hard to eat anymore than two squares before I started the blood sugar diet, so maybe I should buy a bar and break a corner off now and then when the monster calls.

Still laughing about the marmite jar πŸ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

For the Peanut Protein bars, basically melt together the first two ingredients and then add the others, before pressing into a tin and dividing up. Set it in the fridge and store there in an airtight container once out of the tin. You could use raw cacao or cocoa to replace the vanilla powder, to make them chocolatey. The quantities below made 15 bars approx. 3.5cm x 6.5cm at 135 cals and 1.8g carbs per bar, but if you divide into smaller or larger size bars (so more or less than 15), or adjust the recipe in anyway – like substituting cacao powder for vanilla protein powder – you would need to recalculate the cal and carb values.
    Ingredients
    Coconut Oil 60g
    Peanut Butter 60g (either smooth or crunchy)
    Chopped Walnuts 20g
    Vanilla Protein Powder 40g (this gives and illusion of sweetness)
    Chia Seeds 32g
    Almond Flour 120g

Why not use chia seeds instead of linseed occasionally? I know what you mean about the desire for a ‘taste’ in the mouth, Theodora, rather than really needing to eat. Pickles can be good for this, but watch out, ‘cos some of them are much higher in sugars than others. Olives work well too and you can get them with added lemon, herbs or garlic for an extra kick. I’m like you, sweet things just don’t appeal now and I very, very rarely have any desire to eat something sweet. Give me a cube of cheese please!

• posted by Theodora
    on

GofouritGIRL, so pleased to have amused you (she says with her finger stuck in the marmite jar πŸ˜‰ ). Seriously, Brazil nuts are just about the lowest carb nuts you can get – 4g carbs per 100g nuts. The only other nuts that low in carbs are Pecans, so if you like nuts, these are the two to develop a taste for. Avoid cashews (27g) and Pistachios (18g) like the plague though. Brazils just happen to be my favourites anyway. πŸ™‚

SunnyB, I actually eat a lot of olives, just love them, but tend to add them to salads etc. I love cornichons too. But actually, as long as o/h isn’t around, I am very happy sticking my finger in the marmite jar πŸ˜‰

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Finger in the marmite jar does sound tempting – marmite on toast with scrambled egg, is perhaps the only thing I really miss of the high carb stuff. A taste of marmite might be enough.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Thank you both, i am currently writing a shopping list for tomorrow and seeing as I have just had a new cooker delivered I have no excuse to try out those peanut butter bars..I will let you know how i did.

also adding brazils, and found my marmite, Ive just smiled whilst writing marmite…think I’m going crazy.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

SunnyB.. Just thought I’d let you know thatI made the protein bars you suggested over the weekend, and they are really really good and yummy. I did not think I would like them because I don’t really like coconut but I did. I think the chai seeds work great they satisfy hunger. These are going to be a good thing to have around the house in future.

This is the first time that I’ve used whey protein, do you use it in any other recipes or drinks?
    I have always wondered about it and have always associated it with people who lift weights/go to the gym a lot…please excuse my ignorance.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have used it in ‘smoothies’ made with veggies and a little fruit. Have also added it to almond crackers, to give the illusion of sweetness.

Glad the protein bars worked out okay. I’m not a huge fan of coconut flavour, but I find that coconut oil isn’t too heavily flavoured and can quite easily be disguised – in the case of the bars, with peanut and vanilla.

Hope you are doing okay.

• posted by candys
    on

it looks interesting. I also like protein bars for everyday, but I never heard about Grenade Carb Killa

• posted by jennykorpes
    on

Hey πŸ™‚ If you make your own protein bars I think it is a good idea. If you just buy them noo… A good alternative are proteins shakes or other kind of supplements. http://www.ranking-suplementow.com.pl/ here you can find anything you need from supplements πŸ™‚

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Hi Jennykorpes

Thank you for your post. I have unfortunately arrived at the point where I have to stop making the bars also. When I first started making them I was in control and had only one bar per day. I don’t keep any other things I feel addicted to in the house. I know that I am sneaking another one in now and then ..because I have a box of them in the fridge ..and every time I go in the fridge they stare at me..LOL Think I will have a look at protein shakes ..maybe ones that do NOT taste good..

Please log in or register to post a reply.