High Keytones

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CazP1965
    on

I’ve been on the Fast 800 for 6 days and I tested my urine for keytones last night and they were VERY high. I’m a type 2 and I’ve always thought that high keytones could lead to KETOACIDOSIS and diabetc coma. I’m very worried. Is this a side affect if the diet? They were fine when I started.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I can’t hep directly but I wonder if it would be worth having a look at a website called dietdoctor.com. It recommends a low carb diet for people with type 2 so there might be some advice on there for you.

• posted by CazP1965
    on

Hi. Spoke to my clinic this morning and they have reassured that this is not dangerous for my BMI (obese).
    All good. Just in case anybody else has the same issue and is a bit worried.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Caz, as far as I know KETOACIDOSIS only is dangerous for type 1’s
    I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

• posted by Matrika
    on

Big difference between ketones in urine indicating fat burning and ketoacidosis. That common confusion is mentioned in the book I think.

• posted by karra
    on

Here are a few excerpts from a website on Ketosis.

Problems associated with extreme levels of ketosis are more likely to develop in patients with type 1 diabetes compared with type 2 diabetes patients.

If there is not enough glucose available to meet energy demands, the body will adopt an alternative strategy in order to meet those demands. Specifically, the body begins to break down fat stores to provide glucose from triglycerides. Ketones are a by-product of this process.

Ketones are acids that build up in the blood and are eliminated in urine. In small amounts, they serve to indicate that the body is breaking down fat, but high levels of ketones can poison the body, leading to a process called ketoacidosis.

Ketosis describes the metabolic state whereby the body converts fat stores into energy, releasing ketones in the process.

Patients with diabetes who follow a ketogenic diet need to carefully monitor their ketone levels. A serious condition called ketoacidosis can occur if these levels get too high, and although it is most prevalent in individuals with type 1 diabetes, people with type 2 diabetes can still develop ketoacidosis.

Here is the link to the website
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180858.php

Hope this helps to explain it a bit better.

hugs
    Karra

Please log in or register to post a reply.