Hi to all, i'm going to need help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sazzle50
    on

Hi to everyone, I have read lots of posts over the last few days. I have the books and I am armed and ready!
    Just to tell you a little about me. I am from Wales, just turned 50, type 2 diabetic for about 12 years and probably menopausal. About 4 years ago my blood sugars were out of control, I was taking Metformin and injecting (not insulin). I embarked on a low carb diet and lost a huge amount of weight going from around 19 stone to 12 stone, I brought my blood sugars to normal and came off all medication. I joined a gym and got myself fit. Then I let it all slide. I have put 3 stone on in the last 18 months and I am too frightened to have my bloods done at my GP surgery because I know they are going to be bad (burying head in the sand I know).

So it is time to sort it out! I have every faith in this way of eating, I just need to get organized and back on track. I have made a plan of my menu for the week and I have done my food shopping online (to avoid temptation).

So Monday 5th Oct is the day I turn things around…again.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Sazzle, If I was you I would go and have my bloods done to see where you are. Then I would speak to my doctor and tell him that I was serious about taking control of my condition and weight and was embarking on a plan that would help with this. No need to mention 800 calories as most doctors fall off their chairs (if you are doing the 800) just say you have been looking into a healthier way of eating. You can use your previous experience as proof that you have had some success even if you have had a bit of a backslide (now you are 15 stone – am I right, not 19 so ahead of the game). Tell him you want to go back in 12 weeks and be retested to see how it is working out for you. If he insists of putting you on meds (you don’t say if you are) or increasing meds or starting insulin etc ask him to give you this breathing space to try for yourself. OKAY.

Are you able to check your own bloods, can you get hold of a machine and blood sticks, it helps to see how you are doing, mine came down from 190 to 135 in 5 days and a week later were down to 120 and now lower, so if followed to the letter the plan can be that good. Hope that has given you ‘food’ for thought – but not carbs. You can still start on Monday and get your bloods done in the near future. Or am I guessing you want to do the diet for the 8 weeks and then go and see your doctor. Either way, you need to know what your bloods are so you can tell him of the improvements. Anyway, do what works for you, stick to the plan and you won’t look back.

• posted by Sazzle50
    on

Sorry for the large reply it has been a busy few days. Thank you for replying Sunshine-girl and of course you are right about getting my bloods done. I am starting the 800 med diet tomorrow., but will make an appointment with my GP.

on

Sorry Sazzle you did say you were on metformin and injecting (what are you injecting). Good luck, let us know how you get on this week and how you get on at the doctors.

• posted by Sazzle50
    on

I was injecting Exenatide. At one stage I was injecting, taking metformin and gliclazide. Now I don’t take anything but as I say I haven’t had my bloods done for a while. I will let you know.

on

Sazzle, know it as Byetta. My doctor wouldn’t give me that, it is supposed to help with weight loss whereas insulin causes weight gain. Apparently I was / am not big enough so I have had to continue gaining weight on insulin. Not gaining now though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.