help!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mariagm26
    on

I’m just starting out (day 3) and wondered if I can have Grapefruit?

Also any suggestion for dinners everyone can have – hubby and 3 children ranging from 5 – 12. Trying to get a little list together so I don’t have to make two dinners every night ;o)

Thanks

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I don’t know about grapefruit
    I was told by the Newcastle diabetes centre a few years ago to avoid the stuff like the plague as it was just not good for T2D’s but no reasons were ever given, so if anyone has any facts about it, I’d be interested in them
    I used to love grapefruit at one time.

• posted by maggie17
    on

Hello Maria. Grapefruit has a GI of 25 and a GL of 3 so it is fine for the diet. It is also only 35 kcal per half slice. You do need to wary of grapefruit if you are taking some medications, most commonly statins which are used to control cholesterol. Good luck!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi, grapefruit can interfere adversely with the how some drugs work like statins and some high blood pressure drugs. Can’t see anything about diabetes drugs on this link, but I am not that familiar with the drug names. The Newcastle team may have been very cautious in the advise. Link to NHS advise – http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2474.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=103

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Aha
    I may not have been listening correctly at the time as I was being prescribed statins at that time so that would explain it.
    The statins got consigned to the bin ages ago and I have managed the cholesterol ok without them
    Methinks a couple of luscious grapefruit will be in the shopping basket this week
    Thanks for explaining it.

• posted by Mariagm26
    on

Thanks all.

Good to hear. Gladly not on any medication and not diabetic (though I was on the road to it) and hoping to swerve it with this diet.

loving this forum.

x

• posted by maggie17
    on

Just to add, I buy grapefruit on every shopping trip and try to keep it around 2 weeks in the fruit bowl before I eat it. They are never too tart then.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I like the pink grapefruit as they’re a bit sweeter – not sure if that means we shouldn’t have them though?

• posted by maggie17
    on

I don’t think it matters what colour. I prefer pink too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.