Help on measuring

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Help does anyone know the measurements my nurse uses to measure my blood sugar
    It’s neither those on the meter they are all around 150 whatever that means ????
    And what’s the equivalent in way we do it ???
    Alan

• posted by Natalie
    on

You can either use international mmol/l (millimoles per litre) or times by 18 to get the American version mg/dL (milligrams per decilitre). 150 in mg/dL would be 8.3 in Australian money. In the prediabetic range.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Natalie
    That 8.3 you mentioned you say in prediabetic range ??
    Is that same as uk and do you consider 8.3 pre diabetic range or am I mixed up
    Alan

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alan, if your nurse is sending off blood to be tested, it will come back as a %. If this is the one you mean it is called HbA1c and measures your average blood sugar for the past three months. If your meter has a memory it may give you an average reading over the past week and month. This is useful if you are doing a few random tests after meals, before bed etc. because you can keep an eye on whether your average is heading in a good direction. If it shows improvement you know your HbA1c will too.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Cherrianne
    Thanks very much for that info,how does it know average of past 3 months if I only go every 3 months ?? Interested to know this
    Strangely I found an old card nurse used to fill in with all blood results and target for me
    Six years ago It says target 6.5 but actual reading 6.8 this was HbA1c (,latest reading from 3 years ago 7.2 increase with weight !)

Just found this on line which explains it

Glycated hemoglobin is a form of hemoglobin that is measured primarily to identify the three month average plasma glucose concentration. The test is limited to a three month average because the lifespan of a red blood cell is three months. Wikipedia
    Thank you very much for your input Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Disappointed BS readings
    Before lunch of cod n veg and full fat yoghurt Small amount and few blueberries I got BS reading of 7.5 and after 7.4
    May start back on my metformin ?
    On third week stone and half lost never hungry but concerned it’s too high !
    Mornings are erratic as ever
    Alan thanks for help and support it helps a lot .

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Alan,
    Those before and after lunch readings are still ok. Ideal readings before meals are between 4&6 but anything up to 7.8 after meals is in the non diabetic range.
    Your liver is still getting rid of stored sugar into your blood at this stage. Metformin will slow this process down. You can expect your morning readings to be higher and a bit erratic for a couple more weeks before they come down and stay down.
    You are on track though and the weight loss is great, well done. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.