Help. Just not shifting weight. Need advice.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scarlethead
    on

Hi. I’m on week 4 of the BSD and although I lost an initial 1 stone my weight is now going up and the actual loss has now gone in total to 10lbs. I am not snacking. I am eating boiled eggs for breakfast. Not really anything for lunch and then salad and protein for dinner. I have some leafy greens or broccoli with dinner. I can hand on heart say that I’m not cheating.
    My waist measurement has only dropped by 1inch.
    I’m walking 5miles a day. I will keep going on this but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
    I track everything on my fitness pal that I eat and measure everything. On average I eat 700calories a day and am keeping carbs below 20g a day.

I’ve read about the woosh effect but this also has not occurred. I’m a 35 year of woman. 15.10 stone. Was 16.8 and have a waist size of 48 inches. I will keep going but just need some pointers as to what I am doing wrong.
    Thank you

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Scarlethead.

Well done on losing 10 lbs in just four weeks! I can see that seems disappointing compared with a stone, but it’s still pretty good going.

You may not be doing anything wrong – we all seem to lose at different rates. Some go down steadily, some in stages, with periods of hiatus or even small gains. Stick with it and you’ll lose more.

Are you drinking lots of plain water? That really does seem to help.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Scarlethead.

I started reading forum posts/following BSD back in October. When people have asked for help with this pattern during this time there have been some common conclusions.
    1. Carbs are sneeky things, they can pop up in high levels in foods we presume they are not in. So weighing and logging every thing we eat in one of the smart phone apps such as fatsecret or myfitnesspal has helped people who were struggling.
    2. Some people find they are more insulin resistant than others, so they need to reduce their target carbs from 50g per day down to 20g a day to loose weight.
    3. The diet can result in changes in bowel movement frequency. So that can result in an increase in weight.
    4. Whoosh effect – I find the size and length of my whoosh cycle depends on the area of fat my body is working on. It isn’t unusual for my weight to fluctuate by 2kg (4.4lb) during a whoosh cycle.
    5. Often people are find if they just keep on keeping on it a hiccup like this sorts itself out. If you are keeping your insulin levels under control, and cals down below what your body needs it has no option but to burn fat to make up the difference.

• posted by Gesine
    on

A stone is a great success. I’m doing very poorly. Only 1.3 kg in nearly 3 weeks. Less than 20 gr carbs, lots of water, never more than 800 kcal. No medical conditions that I’m knowing of. It´s really frustrating as so many people loose weight in an instant. But I´ll stick to it, hoping for the whoosh to come (hello, I´m ready !).

• posted by Scarlethead
    on

Hi JGwen

Thank you for your message. I think I’m gonna need help to stick to this.
    I am honestly counting everything and tracking all carbs. I’m always under 20g. I’ve stopped eating and snacking on nuts too.
    I will try with more water and update next week.
    I think I will also only weigh myself once a week. I’m getting disheartened doing it everyday:

• posted by Scarlethead
    on

Hi Gesine.
    I’ll tell you what. Let’s both stick to it and see how we do 🙂
    Good luck x

• posted by Scarlethead
    on

Thank you Squidge
    Are there any helpful tips that have helped you?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Scarlethead and Gesine — welcome to the forums! I want to encourage you to not give up, even if the weight loss seems to be slower than you would like — even though you can’t see the evidence of the changes yet, your body is already making the adjustments that are going to show up on the scales very soon.
    When we begin the BSD, our insulin levels are very high. Insulin is your “fat storage” hormone and we have a LOT of it when we are fat. Insulin is made in response to what we eat and, importantly, also in response to the fat levels in the body.
    When you start to eat the BSD-way you lower your insulin levels. When you cut your daily intake of carbohydrate to 20-30 grams you will lower them even further AND as you begin to lose weight the background levels of insulin will also fall in your body.
    All of that is ALREADY happening inside of you and as that continues, you will drop the weight more quickly. You can’t see the changes but they are there and you can trust your body to respond.
    Meanwhile, other, more immediate things are also happening. Your blood sugars are falling and remaining more steady during the day. Your brain is working happily on the increased fat you are eating. Your inflammation markers are falling because you are not eating sugar and refined carbohydrate. Your liver is cleaning out fat and your pancreas is finally getting a hard-earned rest.
    So even if it seems like nothing is happening, all those good things are going on inside of you and they all work eventually toward weight loss.
    So just keep on keeping on as Sunshine girl says and cut your carbohydrates WAY down and trust your amazing body to do the right thing.

• posted by JGwen
    on

A very well written and clear explanation CaliforniaGirl,
    Just a couple of things to add. – One of the aims of this diet is to get rid of fat from around the organs, and that happening may not make a difference to any measurements.

Often we don’t see the inches sliding away from where we expected. – Sometimes our bodies decide to use up fat from around our ankles, or our thighs or double chin, before our waist. So the inch change may be happening, just not in one of the standard places to take measurements.

The large losses at the start for some are retained water, if you were dieting before you moved over to this way of eating you will already have gone through that stage in your weight loss journey.

• posted by Scarlethead
    on

Thank you Californiagirl
    I’m definitely going to keep going and really have never been so dedicated to anything before. I just needed some reassurance I guess. I’ve got my hopes up on this diet and I guess I wanted to see really quick results but may have to be a little more realistic.

• posted by Tightpants
    on

Hi. Well done. Just remember that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are walking 5 miles a day you are likely putting a lot more muscle on your legs and glutes.

• posted by chrisadams
    on

I agree with previous post, you are probably gaining muscle.
    I’m expecting the same issue later in my 8 weeks.
    What I find useful are my scales which show me : body fat, body water, Bmi , visceral fat and muscle mass. With these I can spot exactly what’s going on. As expected my first week was mainly water loss

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

Scarlethead – whats the whoosh cycle please?

X

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

Sorry – I meant JGwen. What is the Whoosh Cycle?

Please log in or register to post a reply.