Help !! I won't eat fish, what can I do!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by amandajjenkins
    on

Started the 8 week plan Monday of this week, I have already had fish 4 times which I really, really dislike, I have never been a fish eater and you can’t make yourself like something. I am enjoying everything else, on the plan for week 1, but 7 weeka to go im never going to do fish on it but I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to give up so early into it, as I have to get my sugars under control. Can anyone help and suggest what I can do??
    Thanks in advance Amanda

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Amanda,
    Someone will come along with much more experience than me, but welcome!
    If you are forcing yourself to eat something you don’t like, you won’t last the distance, it’ll feel like a chore, and it shouldn’t.

A few answers to some basic questions will help myself and others to respond accordingly:
    – When you say you started the 8-week plan – is that the Blood Sugar Diet Plan or the Fast 800?
    – You need to get your sugars under control – are you diagnosed diabetic? Are you on meds for diabetes (or any other meds like statins, blood pressure meds etc.)
    – Is your doctor supporting you in trying this plan?
    – What do you like to eat? There is a lot if support on this site and helpful suggestions.

I’m sure we can help you to find a way to make the plan work for you.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Amanda – what is the problem, are you trying to follow a menu plan to the letter and finding you dont know what to do to replace the fish or scare that if you do you will mess up the diet. Take a deep breath and….. relax. There is no need to eat fish. I personally hate it except for the occasional cod in chip shop style and tinned tuna. You can replace or exchange it but try to make it for something of similar calories. This might mean a smaller portion so if it says 4oz cod you can maybe have 3oz of chicken or just not worry about it too much and do a straight swap. If that is your problem let us know and we can better advise you, if it is something else worrying you then explain what it is exactly. Now knowing you can skip the fish is that any help.

Your blood sugars are your problem and the main problem there is carbs. Have you cut out white, starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals, some other starchy veg. Does that help at all.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Amanda,

Like sunshinegirl I hate fish, and only eat battered cod or tinned tuna! Spooky SG! I also don’t like eggs much so I completely understand why you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed!

Just take a deeeeeeep breath and then another if you need to, you don’t need to follow the recipes to the letter – I do use the recipe books but mostly for inspiration rather than actually following them, like sunshinegirl said just substitute in an ingredient you do enjoy – never make yourself eat something you hate, you won’t stick to it and you’ll make yourself miserable

If you let us know the sort of things you do like to eat then we can suggest recipes or ideas, a few of my favourites are

Pesto chicken with roasted peppers
    Lean sausages with cauliflower mash and broccolli and a bit of gravy
    Chicken in a pistachio crumb
    Carbonara using courgette or leek instead of pasta
    Homemade meatballs
    Homemade burger
    Fajita mix on a salad or wrapped in lettuce leaves
    Garlic and herb stuffed chicken
    Chilli or bolognese
    Aubergine lasagne

I also cook plenty of simple meals as well such as a low carb roast (miss out the potatoes and the stuffing), simple chicken soup, casseroles etc.

Any of those take your fancy? I’ve got loads of ideas!

Just shout and we can give you some guidance and hopefully talk you down off the edge!

Lauren x

on

Thankyou sooo much Sunshine girl and Lauren, your replies have been so helpful. SG, yes I thought I should follow it as closely as possible. I havent eaten bread or potatoes so keeping away from cards to reduce my sugars. I also don’t mind chip shop cod and I will eat tuna so very strange we all like those but not other fish, I really love chicken so this is the way forward from today on. I have enjoyed new foods such as almond butter, Greek yoghurt with seeds and berries ( never thought I would utter those words!!) I am off the ledge Lauren and you recipie suggestions sound yummy 😋
    Thank you once again you have really helped me carry on x

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, I don’t eat fish or meat.

I started off by cutting out the obvious carbs, potatoes, rice, pasta, pizza, cake, chocolate. sugar

Then I started to look online for recipes I did like the sound of – there are lots of websites now with keto and low carb suggestions.

Then I downloaded onto my smart phone the app fatsecret, and started to log what I ate. – Focusing on the macros, and reducing the level of carbs.

Success isn’t from following the recipes in the books for 8 weeks and then going back to “normal” because that will just take you back to where you started from, its about learning a new Way of Eating.

on

Hi Ruby G
    Sorry I should have made it clear its the BSD PLAN.
    I was diagnosed type 2 in 2010 straight onto metformin which gave me nasty side affects. Fast forward to 2012, I paid for privately a gastric band. My heaviest weight was 19.5 and in dec 2015 I had lost 7 stone, my GP was delighted. In jan 2016 my problems started through stress the band played up with the result being a lot if vomiting. I went through a lot of fills and defils in the band but result was I gained weight my GP didn’t really help as I explained the band was causing problems, so 2019 I was put on ozempic, it was ok at first but then hit me with awful side affects and I stopped taking any meds. In early 2020 I did Slimming World with moderate success but i gained weight as i couldn’t stick to it. Now after reading up the BSD book I ate all the wrong things for my diabetes lots of rice pasta to fill me up.I had the band deflated, lockdown hit and I went on a self destruct plan. Seefood diet, honestly I ate huge portions and all the things I missed. This year 26th Jan I had my band filled and its going really well i had my annual blood check up in Feb, GP said sugars extremely high and has referred me to hospital clinic as he can do no more, my appt is on 13th April. I want to avoid insulin . The band helps me with reduction of appetite, the BSD plan will help me eat the right foods and retrain my brain. I have lost 24lb to date sice January so i still have some 5 stone to go. I will get there im so determined just wish I had read up long time ago rather than just rely on gastric band, which isn’t the only answer! Thanks Amanda

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Amanda, you have certainly been on a journey and hopefully this diet will answer a lot of the problems you are facing. Cant give any advice about the band but I am in the same boat as you with diabetes. Unfortunately, I am one step ahead and was put on insulin without much information or consultation. This was due to my bad effects with the tablets but doctor failed to tell me I would gain so much weight with insulin – 15kg in 6 months – so I cant see how that is a solution for you. This diet should do it for you. You are used to strict eating regimes and now you just need to eat the right things, or better still, not eat the wrong things. I wish I had found this diet as I was being pushed towards more and more carbs to keep my BG stable – more like off the scale. You have read the BSD book so should be aware of the principles but shout out if you are not sure of something. We have all made mistakes on the way and we are here to learn and to help each other.

As you BG will drop fairly quickly, do you test yourself. You might need your doctors advice on reducing meds but that is for another day. See how you get on first but dont hesitate to eat something if you feel at all unwell with hypo symptoms. Just have something light like yoghurt and fruit or some cheese, chicken, a boiled egg. Something that will keep you steady and not upset the diet.

Good luck.

on

Thank you Sunshine Girl, its great to have support on here with people who understand, enjoy the rest of your weekend x

Please log in or register to post a reply.