Help! Had a carb frenzy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Oh dear oh dear. I am just coming up to the 6th week on the blood sugar diet and everything was going brilliant. From blood sugar scores in the 9plus range I’d dropped to fasting levels of below 5. I was feeling brilliant, full of energy etc etc.

For the last 5 and a half weeks I’ve stuck to the diet religiously, keeping carbs low and within the 800 calorie limit and lost 1st 8 lbs.

Now I feel like I could just sit down and weep. From about lunch time today I just went completely mad… a huge bowl of buttered popcorn was followed by two bags of crisps and just had three pieces of toast with jam!!! What is wrong with me?!?!

I joke about ‘waking the beast’ but seriously, it was like I turned into a mad carb-eating frenzy of a woman. Looking back at my weight loss over the past 10 years or so I can see I often lost a stone and a bit and then give up around this time.

However this time with a type 2 diabetes diagnosis I cannot afford to fall off the wagon. It’s not about getting into those jeans anymore it’s about being around for my children and not having awful complications.

Desperately trying not to go down the route of ‘I may as will give up now, eat cake for the next week and just not test my sugars and pretend it’s not happening’ which is really not what I should be doing and what I have done in the past.

Anyone got any wise words for me? I so want to finish the 8 weeks successfully (and will probably need to go on a bit more as I have 3 more stone to lose) and REALLY don’t want the old pattern to re-emerge.

Desperately yours…

• posted by Avila
    on

It happens to us all, in one way or another – so feel normal.
    Tomorrow is what you decide it will be.

And the issues you face will help you decide.

I was overweight but not yet diabetic, I wobbled about the same stage as you, but having achieved enough weight loss to be off BP meds (so having achieved my main aim), I didn’t have the motivation to get back onto the strict regime, though try to keep to a med diet pattern.

However others have got back on the wagon with vision and hope, because still on the road to what they wanted.

So what are you reaching for? Let that guide your tomorrow.

the carb fest is horrible because it triggers all the cravings for more of the same and the spiral drags us down. But willpower on the tomorrow can bring a new potential…. you can do it.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My advice? Don’t worry about it, start again tomorrow and just count this week as a 1:6 week with 6 successful days. Life doesn’t stop just because you had some carbs, and clearly the cravings still have a hold and need to be monitored. I saw somewhere that it takes between three and six months to truly change your way of life, so don’t beat yourself up. Next piece of advice, think about what triggered you to start on the popcorn, was it a particular state of mind? Outside influence? Availability? Try to be aware, when you work out what it was, that it may be a trigger in the future and be ready for it. Ask yourself do I really need the carbs, or do I just want them. Just keep on keeping on.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Oh, Zimmerframe,
    Been there, seen it, done it – many times! Most recently last week, and I’ve been BSDing most of the year. It happens – but the world hasn’t stopped spinning on its axis. As the others have said, just put it behind you and start again tomorrow. Lots of us have experienced this so don’t beat yourself up.
    Good luck.

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Thank you so much to you all for your advice. Mixnmatch your comment about seeing it as a 6:1 was a bit of a revalation and helped me to see it as a blip rather than a catastrophe. I managed to stick to the diet for the rest of the week and Wednesday weigh in saw another 2llbs off which I felt I didn’t deserve! Dinner party last night went a bit out of control and I scoffed the last six chocs from a box a friend boight me ages ago and I’ve manfully ignored. Luckily the kids have clearly been helping themselves so there were only those 6 left otherwise I may have had a lot more! Bad news is fasting blood sugar was 8.2!!!! this morning. Such a shame after managing to get below five in the past few weeks. Heigh ho! Just got to keep at it and I hope losing more weight will mean my blood sugars are a bit more under control. Abilia thanks for your inspirational words – you’re right I have to keep remembering why I am doing this, rozydozy it’s good to know I’m not alone! Thanks, everyone

• posted by Julielane102
    on

I am new to the forum, but have nearly completed 5 weeks on this wonderful diet. Having lost a stone and a half and got my glocose readings dowm, I can understand a sudden wish to scoff toast. I miss bread with my breakfast egg and the odd jacket potato! However, this week has been an eating out challenge, with a wedding reception that was only pork and cheese with crackers and bread. So hungry I munched on crackling and we left early and went home for some nuts! My weight stuck last week and although I put on a pound – even with sticking to the diet – and becoming dispirited, I am determined to carry on as I so want to come off insulin (I have already got my doses of this down and have dumped metformin- my doctor was thrilled). I have much more energy and people are noticing! Indeed, I had to get a new outfit for the wedding as the dress .i bought early this year was too baggy! Keep up the good work! Julie

• posted by Zimmerframe
    on

Pork crackling! Yum I was hoping that was allowed in this diet as I can’t have crisps and that’s the closest I can get! You’ve done brilliantly, Julie, and I’ve been on hundreds of diets over the past 25 years and when I started this weighed more than I ever did! What has always sabotaged me was having a plateau or gain even when I’d stuck to the diet; or having a binge and thinking oh well, may as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb… and fall off the wagon. I’m trying to stay super positive and think of this long term in terms of a year where a day or two blip doesn’t really matter – far better to stick to it, pick your self up and keep going – hard though when celebrating with friends… a good way through the diet when that initial enthusiasm is melting away and you feel hard done by and deserve a treat. Must stop seeing food as treat!!!! Keep up the good work everyone!

Please log in or register to post a reply.