Help from those who follow med style low carb to lose weight without counting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jordana
    on

Hello, I was really wanting advice and tips from those who follow this particular way of doing the BSD, so that I can do it successfully.
    I have followed the Fast 800 in the past with success, and kept the weight off for a while, and my health issues such as colitis under control.
    I spectacularly derailed and regained the weight over the course of about 8 months. Since then I’ve tried and tried to get back on the wagon, the longest I lasted was 5 weeks. I got too hungry, too stressed, but now I am feeling so ill and I need to take this is hand.
    I don’t want to count, weigh, measure or anything. It gets me down going through it all again. I want to go low carb. I’d be really happy to only lose 1lb a week as I’m just trying to feel less unwell. Without counting, how can I make sure I do this?
    Jordana x

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Jordana, your very best resource for this is going to be Dr. Bikman’s podcasts. He is a researcher out of Utah (US) and specializes in insulin studies.
    He thinks counting calories is too much trouble but he advocates very low carb to control your insulin.
    If you cut your insulin to 20 grams per day, you will lose the weight — as you start to move forward you can watch how your body responds to changing your “macros” (ie protein, fat, carbohydrates, calories) and become your own expert on YOUR body.
    You can adjust and try out different things until you discover your personal sweet-spot.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Jordana! Bikman is an excellent resource, I agree. I f you take a look at a thread
    called “Take A Look At This” you’ll find many links to podcasts to explore. It is my opinion
    that low carb mediterranean is a tool for maintenance though, not one for weight loss,
    especially if you don’t know the number of carbs or calories you are consuming each day.
    Very best of luck to you. I hope that you start feeling better soon!

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

As you’ve done the diet before you may be able to estimate the figures reasonably accurately? Even if you can’t, just cutting out all the refined carbs should help to make you feel better. Perhaps do that for a while and see how you go? If it works then great, but if not and you have to count, you should feel better able to cope with that.

One thing which I’ve found makes the counting much easier is to make big batches of some meals and freeze is single portions. Having something ready cooked and ready calculated is great.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Jordana. It is some time ago, but I think I started by cutting out all simple carbs and following the Mediterranean diet, and counted just 2 days a week – when I aimed for 800 calories and 50g carbs. This worked well for me in the beginning. Once the weight started to come off, I felt encouraged to count every day. But I do understand your reluctance!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Caron. Would you categorize how you began as a classic 5:2? So many different
    ways to adapt this to our lifestyles, and I think it’s the flexibility that makes it such a
    success! Now that you’re part of the maintainer’s community, to what degree do you
    weigh and measure, or use intermittent fasting? We are all so different, and one size
    doesn’t fit all 🙂 I enjoy hearing everyone’s plan, and I hope you are feeling great! I’m
    loving the new fasting thread, which is in a way an extension of the maintainer’s thread…
    After 2+ years, I still learn new things everyday 🙂

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Jordana, I noticed a typo in my post. It is 20 grams of CARBOHYDRATE per day — I said insulin. Sorry for being confusing.

• posted by Jordana
    on

Californiagirl, thanks. I will look up his podcasts and see what I think. I was surprised at the word insulin then saw your second post 😊
    Squidge I’m inclined to agree. Allie your right that it’s more of a maintenance way of life because that is exactly what I managed to do for at least a year. However I want to see if I can eat a bit less without counting (apart from maybe carbs) because I’m hoping I can stick at it longer. I used to record everything so rigourously I am used to the portion sizes and know I’ve been eating far too much recently. And carbohydrates too! Such a shame 😑
    I could count for a couple of days I guess and see. Will try and find what suits. Glad of anyone’s advice and experience. I’m not after the fast weight loss I necessarily had first time, just the feeling of being in control of my health issues.
    A lot of variety replies, thank you so much 🙂
    Jordana x

• posted by Squidge
    on

We’re all so different – it’s worth trying different approaches and seeing what works best for you.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Jordana

You can do this! You said it yourself, you’ve been eating far too much recently and having carbs. I reckon if you try to reduce the refined carbs you will soon get back on track because your blood sugar will settle down and you won’t feel hungry. One of the best things about this way of eating is that once the carbs go, the hunger goes. I don’t think you need to count, measure or record everything. The main principle is to stay low carb. You’ve done it once and know how to do it. When I started I wrote down every day what I ate and weighed myself every day, It must feel disappointing to have undone your hard work but one of the things I like about BSD is that I know it works. I’ve tried various ways to lose weight over the years and none of them worked. You’ve proved already that you can lose weight following this way of eating. Fill up on full fat yoghurt, eggs, cheese (sorry I’m a vegetarian). I don’t weigh or measure I just eat two meals a day, sometimes only one and stick to low carb which you know how to do and it’s very liberating not to have to weigh or measure. One of the hardest things about losing weight I think is keeping it off. Perhaps read the book again and be inspired to get back on track. You can do this, it’s the easiest way to lose weight- just cut the carbs.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’re so right, Jordana! We have multiple choices, and can choose what suits us best. The most
    important thing is that you start feeling well again. Fast or slow, trial and error, tweaking it is
    always an option. Please keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing. 🙂

Best,

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi allie. You asked if I started on a classic 5:2 basis. I had to go back to the Michael Mosley options to check, since I think I rather made it up as I went along! My approach was to do 5 days of a stricter Mediterranean Low Carb (so no simple white carbs, but also no brown rice or other “healthier” grains, no carb-y fruit eg apples in addition to no exotic fruits, and very few lentils). Then I stuck to 800 calories and around 50g of carbs on the other 2 days. I gradually morphed to counting most days, particularly when I wanted to push towards the middle of my healthy BMI range.

• posted by MARK ESS
    on

my mother used to say about anything you want to do is persevere.. In my case l just get on scales everyday and log the results. then let my mind think of were I want to go and ways to get there. If you get hungry then eat. I cut up melon instead of diving into the biscuit tin. I cut up in small pieces carrots, cucumber, add 3 or 4 grapes, peanuts, ham, chicken. I like to eat like a lot of people. But I realize, take longer to eat, slighty smaller portions. Then your likely to eat less of things that stop you reducing your weight. Life is a second by second experience and journey. One step at a time. Even if sometimes we take 3 steps back and then move forward again

• posted by Squidge
    on

Eating slowly is a good idea.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Oo yes, good reminder, Squidge!

Please log in or register to post a reply.