Help/ advice

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jayuk84
    on

Hello All,
    Apologies if I am posting in the wrong group.

I am a 35 male who had been told I have borderline high cholesterol (5.4) but I was tested as my mam has higher reading.

I used to do weight training with little to no cardio and now I do nothing to elevate my heart rate. Also due to my desk job I sit for pretty much 7 hours a day. Diet is not balanced enough and frequently order a take away. This is a wake up call and I need to change my lifestyle..

I am looking for any advice on lowering my cholesterol… I bought milk thistle and lesterin in the hope to help.
    I hear animal fats are bad and should be removed.plant based proteins are good?.

I just want to make sure I’m not doing something wrong.

Please provide me which experiences and any advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome Jayuk84! I’m sorry you didn’t get an earlier reply — the last bit of celebrations has taken off and only a few people are posting right now. After January 1st there will be a lot more so please don’t feel ignored and stay with us!
    Your situation is common for anyone living these days, too many hours at a desk and a world full of bad take-out options around us.
    The BSD will absolutely help you get back on track and your cholesterol should respond to the improved diet fairly quickly. I think you will find that both plant based and animal proteins will work for this way of eating — it’s a personal choice.
    Most importantly, cut the sugar right out (in all its forms) and all the “white” carbs — there is research showing that just doing that will improve your cholesterol. Do you have the book? It’s very useful to have a copy to refer to. As you move forward, you will also see references to podcasts and other authors/physicians/researchers that have useful information so you can follow up with those too.
    Start the exercise today! Walking is a great start but getting back to weight lifting will be incredibly helpful too. Make that a goal.
    Let us know how you get on and ask questions when they come up — there are people from all over the world here and lots of collective knowledge.
    At 35 years, you are young and will respond quickly to this way of living — before you know it it will become your preferred way to eat and your sugar cravings will literally disappear (takes a few months but it is absolutely true).
    So good start and good wishes!

Please log in or register to post a reply.