Hello!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Louise
    on

Hi – I’m starting this diet on Sunday or Monday. Looking forward to seeing an improvement in my weight, and the sluggish feeling I have currently. I have read the book and changed my thoughts on vlcd’s, which I have always thought of as very bad for you.

I am a little worried about putting weight back on after the 8 weeks so will be interested to hear of other people’s experience with this!

• posted by Nessie
    on

Hi Lousie
    I am only at the end of week 1, so can’t speak from experience about finishing the 8 week plan, but unless you go back to the way you were eating, it would be hard to add the weight back on.
    All the best

• posted by Arran Granny
    on

Hi, the 5:2 diet is recommended after the 8weeks. There is more advice on the forum. I am sure that in a few weeks we will find people on a maintenance plan and that will help.

• posted by CTO
    on

Hi, came by this diet on researching my rapid weight loss using Lipotrim shakes in which my figures dropped dramatically. Looking for alternative using real food and will be switching over. I feel like a new person and am glad to be here at the launch of the website

• posted by Louise
    on

Thanks Nessie. I do eat too many carbs I think. I’ve been trying to lose weight for about 20 years now following various low fat plans, that have always replaced fat with carbs. After reading the book, I think this has been my problem.

Arran Granny – yes looking forward to seeing how people are doing when they’ve finished the 8 weeks.

CTO you must have great will power to have followed the lipotrim diet, so I’m sure 800 cal of real food will be no problem for you! I have tried a vlcd diet before but I didn’t last long due to hating the ‘meals’ and it was also 600 cal. Hoping the extra 200 calories might make it more bearable!

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

This diet has changed our lives so far, and only 10 days in. I have been descending from pre-diabetic, to diabetic, and then to “you need medication” a few months ago, which I declined, and started (expensive)self testing. I had been sticking to NHS diet advise with a lot reservations, as the safest option. I queried why I was told to eat carbs (1/3rd of the plate) when that was what I can’t metabolise correctly. Nurse told me she had a patient who had the blood sugar of a non-diabetic, “but he doesn’t eat carbs!” “Surely he is right then.” “Oh, no you must eat carbs.” The depressing DESMOND course. “You can’t get better. Only worse.”
    The diet has been a revelation. Gone the constant hunger. Eating, the NHS recommended, porridge for breakfast found me starving hungry, but with high blood sugar, 2 hours later. Now hunger has gone away. I realise I was a carb addict, on a constant blood sugar roller coaster. Morning fasting BG now 3.9-4.4.

• posted by Donnadoobie
    on

I also followed NHS advice and went for ‘good’ carbs and like you could not understand why my blood sugar was high 2 hours after eating porridge. Found the Diabetes uk forum in August and have never looked back. Have been low carbing since August. Blood test in October showed It was almost non diabetic, a couple of points still to go. Hoping this will do the trick.

• posted by Jet
    on

Hi all, I just started this diet 6 days ago. Diagnosed diabetic 3 months ago and yes, the Desmond course is quite depressing! So far, have not been hungry at all even when it’s been 7 hours between lunch and dinner! The recipes I’ve tried so far are really tasty. I’ve even managed to avoid all the leftover chocolates and cakes brought into the office by my colleagues. That is a miracle in itself! I have a long way to go but so far, this is working! Thanks to Michael for writing the book.

• posted by CTO
    on

Bought the book off Amazon, couldn’t put it down – read it in a day! It was like a revalaton now to put it into action…

• posted by Louise
    on

Likewise CTO!

• posted by SteveT
    on

Hello everyone, started the BSD 8 week plan one week ago and finding it very easy to stick to. My starting weight was 19st 6lbs and one week on I’m 18st 9lbs and have lost 1.5 inches round my waist. My fasting blood sugar average was 9.6 and is now 9.3. I’m not expecting rapid reduction in numbers as I’ve been type 2for 25 years. But this is a great start.

• posted by EdithGrace
    on

Hello everyone. I am going to start the diet tomorrow and am feeling encouraged by people saying that they aren’t hungry.. I’m not diabetic, but am about 3 stone overweight and definitely addicted to carbs. I have yo yo dieted for years and always give in to bread and chocolate cravings. I’m hoping that if I see results quickly I will be able to stick to it!

• posted by Mysupersalami
    on

Hi,
    I’m from nz and are 45kg overweight due to antidepressant meds for my clinical depression.
    I have a very big hangover tyre I guess you could say and hoping this will help reduce it.
    I guess I’m worried bout the choices as I don’t eat chicken, lamb or pork.
    I eat fresh fish but not prawns etc
    Is this still doable ?

Look forward to hearing from u
    🙂

• posted by janet_jb
    on

Hi mysupersalami
    What a way to combat depression, gaining 45kg. My heart goes out to you, but I guess you needed the help at the time. Hopefully this journey will get you feeling like your old self (without depression) and looking great too! If you eat fish I think you are all good on this diet, and in some of the other protein sources Michael talks about in his book to complement the fish. Do you eat beef and eggs? I don’t eat fish but can see that I will be able to modify the diet for my own needs using alternative proteins.
    Good luck! Looking forward to hearing your progress!

• posted by Mysupersalami
    on

Hey thank you for your reply. I do eat eggs and beef.
    How long have u been doing this for? I only picked his book up yesterday
    What do u eat daily?
    Sara

• posted by janet_jb
    on

Hi Sara
    I got the book about a week ago, I bought lots of food, nuts, eggs, veggies, that can be used in the recipes from the book, or to just make up my own stuff using those ingredients. I started the 800 days yesterday. My first day was not as bad as I thought it would be! I’m using ‘my fitness pal’ to record food, and because I shift work, and had two meals at work yesterday, I just improvised following the Med style rules for lunch and dinner, with one of the egg recipes from the book for breakky.
    We bought in food a few days before starting the 800 days, and just played with making up meals with the Med style ingredients. I hope this helps!

• posted by First time grandma
    on

Hi Sara in NZ and all other forum members. I’m in south west WA and started BSD two weeks ago, just before bushfires hit. I struggled to begin with with the fires threatening us and being recommend to evacuate, though we stayed put. Luckily, winds dropped and we were all safe in our small township on the coast. Anyway, I stuck with the food plan at 800 calories, but downed two bottles of wine over three nights in middle of fire alert. Got on scales this morning and have lost 2.65 kgs. Thank you Michael for your book. Feeling very motivated. We will be first time grandparents in middle of year, so great motivation to be fit, healthy, well and live to ripe old age to see grandchildren (more than one we hope😬) grow up. Have enjoyed reading all the forum posts and plan to stay tuned in. Good luck to all,

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Hi everyone. I’ve always been under the asumption that if one only ate between 1000 and 1200 cals a day one would lose weight. I simply couldn’t understand why try even with not cheating and doing exercises, including cycling, that I simply couldn’t lose weight.

I realise now it was the fact that I was eating all the wrong things in my 1000 cals. Bread, cereals, low fat foods and so on. I am so hoping that this sugar diet works.

• posted by Robyn
    on

Who is ‘Desmond’ ? Desmond course ?

Where else can I look for recipes ? Do I search for ‘low carb’ recipes or ‘Med Diet’ recipes ?

• posted by mary0101
    on

Hi all, just got book on kindle today. Hoping to start at the weekend as my son is away for a week which will allow me a kick start without having to cook for him. I haven’t finished the book yet, but I don’t eat any fish or seafood, and I would rather not eat breakfast. Is this going to work for me? I do normally cook from fresh.

• posted by Citykittie78
    on

Hi to all,

Im in Melbourne Aus and am starting on 01/02/16…. gotta empty the bad stuff out of the house 🙂

Great to hear how you are all going!
    Keep up the good work….

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

Hello everyone!
    I read the book over the weekend. Could not put it down. I made a start on he 8week programme yesterday and I have a headache today but I believe de-hydration has a lot to do with it so have bottle of water in hand.

I’m not diabetic but Type2 is on both sides of my family (father and maternal grandmother). I’ve become more and more addicted to refined/sugary/carby foods over the years, my weight has varied but never been as low as I’d wish. I’m now at a stage in my life where I need change. As a Mum to 2 busy boys, having little to no energy and mood swings is not conducive to the lifestyle I’m trying to achieve for them. I’m trudging through and I don’t want to be this reliant on sugar any more. I want to do what I can to change my mind & body so I don’t head straight headlong into the docs office one day to be told “I told you so” .

May the force be with you all. I’m so pleased to see this forum and hope to read lots of success stories in the near future. What’s 56 days in the long run aye!?

Please log in or register to post a reply.