Hello :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

GG we haven’t got the promised lovely weather here in north west England….we have had a grey day with heavy rain this avvo! X πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

• posted by AnnieW
    on

I did have a fair bit of hair loss a couple of years ago whilst doing 5:2 it did right itself eventually (there was a big set of postings about it on the 5:2 forum). With me it was a combination of things, or “perfect storm” of age, long hair, stress and diet stress. Anyway I used coconut oil to put in my hair for longish periods, then washed out and shampooed as normal. I also started using organic coconut shampoo and conditioner and still do with less frequent bouts of gently putting coconut oil onto the roots.

• posted by Jillf
    on

Annie thanks so much – every story is a lifeline. Was it the 5:2 on this site that had threads about it please?
    Jill

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi Jill, no it was the Fast Day Forum (- search 5:2 fast day forum – it’s not Dr M’s site though). There is a thread on there started in 2013 called “I’ve just discovered coconut oil!” from where you can see the various uses members put the oil too. But hair care was a “biggie” for many of us.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi bsd chums x
    jILF well done on bloodtest results and weight loss! X
    Phew a hot day today! Keep cool everyone
    Ive managed to get into another top thats languished in the wardrobe unworn for many a long day!
    dont you just Love non scale victories!
    Ps altho coz its striped,i look rather like an angry wasp! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yeahhhhh Yowser are you doing the super special smaller top dance. I’ve found some of the things I’ve been desperate to get into for years, now I can I don’t like them, and that one week you just get into something, then the next week it’s too big, especially with trousers, amazingly wonderful πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi JAN i must say I dont like this waspy top now it fits!
    It maybe relegated to the charity shop bag!
    Well,in the SEVEN mins since I posted the message you replied to Jan..ive been logged out and it took three tries to logback in …Grrrr?..too hot to be faffing round..and why tho i endlessly tick Remember Me,it never does?πŸ€”πŸ€”

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jill
    Congratulations – great results!

the normal range for the HbA1C test is 20 to 42, so you are in the normal range, not particularly near the border, so no need to worry about it. (well other than sticking to eating sensibly to keep it in that range πŸ™‚ )
    You can request access to your patient records online, which is brilliant – you get the full history of test results (I think mine goes back 8 or 10 years) together with the “normal range” alongside your own result.
    The other benefit is that when you have a blood test, you get to see the results before you discuss them with a nurse or doctor, so you have time to think about any questions before you meet.
    I got very concerned that they’d measured albumin and creatinine, but not given normal ranges or the ratio (and in different units of measurement, so not easy to calculate. Turned out my results were “too normal to calculate a ratio”

A discussion on “Inside Health” on R4 just now was debating the benefits of aiming for an upper blood pressure of 120 rather than 140 – I checked mine from my records and noticed that in September last year it was 127/80, and now its down to 112/79.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yowser
    Have you checked right at the beginning of the thread you are following that you are subscribed to follow it, as it sometimes unsubscribed you, how irritating and time consuming, well I have just been up our local biggest in the country coop did a mini shop and was only tempted to treat myself to some very nice cooked pork loin to wrap around some lovely pickled gherkins. In the past I would always buy one of their pasties as they make the most divine pastry, but no it didn’t even occur to me. Ooh am I cured hehehe don’t think so but getting there, it’s like belonging to AA this lark isn’t it, or how I imagine it to be.
    Going to have a nice cuppa and a treat of a little relax with a good book for half an hour, a very rare event for me, think I deserve some time out as for the last 6 weeks I’ve been trying to contact an office in Ireland to complete my PCI compliance for my shop and couldn’t get my password recognised, but I have got through and done it. Woo hoo, not sure what I agreed to online, but I really don’t care any more. Cuppa calls me.
    β˜•οΈβ˜•οΈβ˜•οΈβ˜•οΈ
    BTW where the hecky peck is lucky these days, have I missed her or something.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Jan
    just checked – Lucky’s last post here was earlyish yesterday morning, so she’s not been AWOL too long!

My supermarket downfall is Morrison’s sausage rolls, love them!
    Last time I was there I treated myself to a single one (I used to buy and eat a packet of 4, because it was cheaper!) – and it was a meal, rather than a snack!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Yes i’m still subscribed JAN…i just seem to get totally logged out if i look away for a moment! They dont like me
    😩😩😩 actually the techies here are so nice

Co op..i love it…there’s always such a gorgeous display in the bakery …mmmm..but not for me any more..i eatit with my eyes and nose!
    I do still get pangs but other healthy stuff is gorgeous so its not too bad..i love lettuce sandwiches – some tasty ham or halloumi inside two crisp romaine lettuce leaves!
    JAN do you remember the old fashioned co op from the fifties ( i doubt youre old enough) They used to put your money in a little tin and it used to go along a pulley thing then come whizzing back with the change! No self service then
    Enjoy yr book..im just going to have a shower then me too.. A few last chapters of a book to read! I left it at a suspenseful moment!
    Then – lunch! No I Havent even had lunch yet hehe! Go me! I had some yog for elevenses and not been hungry since.
    Glad you got sorted online..hope it works out ok! Nothing worse than having to ring places and be kept waiting listening to rubbish music! X

• posted by Frog
    on

back to the hair debate of yesterday, there are threads on here

HAIR PROBLEMS – last post 3/9/16
    HAIR LOSS ETC- last post June 16

I read recently that castor oil is good for hair loss (presumably similar to coconut oil) My hair has got thicker recently, but I read about it being good to encourage thicker eyebrows.
    I tracked some down in Morrison’s hard to find – apparently is can be used to induce labour as well, so lots of chemists don’t stock it.
    Can’t really comment on it’s effectiveness – it would probably help if I;d used it for more than the first two or three days.
    Made a nice cuticle oil as well.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Yowser
    Yes I remember them I’m 58 mind you don’t feel that age anymore before bsd I felt 88 it’s such a miracle this plan

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi lucky

Missing your many posts are you okay

• posted by Frog
    on

has anyone else notice that this topic never goes to the final page when you post now, just the penultimate one?
    Happens when you hit ‘reply’ from the recent posts page,
    or is it just me

I’ve emailed tech support to see if its an issue with the number of posts on this thread

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

YES FROG..thank you..i thought i was going barmy! X
    Good point re number of posts on this thread..LUCKY didnt realise what she started!
    Is it still tropically hot in London? We have it today after yesterdays rain…bit too hot for me..
    Will be glad next summer but this summer my fat is the equivalent of being wrapped in quite a high tog duvet!😎

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

JAN making my cuppa now..in nice fresh loose floaty pjs ! I bought myself post week 8 some lovelysmelling bodywash..gonna have a non food treat every few weeks now.
    http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn276/yowzer2008/image_zpsn6ekli2m.gif
    This is the life…hehe!
    In answer to yr question before..i think Lucky is busy with preparations for the wedding this weekend..but where oh where are Timmy,Janey and Eps..and Izzy? Or have i just missed them somewhere round the threads! X

• posted by Avila
    on

Who suggested Longley Farm full fat cottage cheese? Wow – a revelation compared to the skinny kinds I have met before. I did at the time double check the brand – having brought Longley Farm yoghurt in the local shop as a local brand, I thought maybe it was a similar name but no, it is just down the road. So I get to feel good about supporting local business as well as yummy cheesyness.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Evening all, yes I’m still around! Had to respond to Avila’s revelation in the Longley Farm cottage cheese. Isn’t it just epic?? I’ve been singing its praises for months and have a spoonful most days with lunch. Haven’t found another brand that even comes close to it for tastiness!

Am enjoying the hot weather here in the Midlands. Seems quite odd to be sitting outside in just a sarong when it’s already getting dark tho! House is like an oven…

So tonight I am trying spelt pasta. It’s a grain that has low impact on GI and full of fibre so is allowed in the ‘maintenance’ stage of BSD. I found it in the newly opened health food shop in town so thought I’d give it a go…

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

HI jANEY! thats interesting about spelt pasta being ok for maintenance
    Will deffo give it a try when i get there!
    Good to see you xx

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi janey

Are you still walking I had to reconfigure my up and it would no longer accept the email I used so relaunched it on another email, hence why I’ve disappeared. Glad you are still maintaining. 😊😊😊

on

Yowzer – the spelt pasta was pretty good! Couldn’t really tell the difference apart from it cooking faster. Wholemeal too, so should be healthy!

Hi Jan – yes am still walking! I entered that sponsored MyMarathon in aid of British Heart Foundation.. And completed the 26.2 miles in 10 days πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ. All for a good cause πŸ‘πŸΌ The Up bands do seem to be occasionally temperamental. Mine occasionally claims to have been disconnected…

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh good JANEY! That spelt pasta was a great find!
    Ohhh and you’ve completed yr marathon! Thats brilliant! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» very well done finishing so quickly!X

• posted by Avila
    on

Frustrating clip of Radio 2 this afternoon when driving home – Steve Wright in afternoon, apparently the solution to the mid pm slump is a dose of carbs, which are good for our happiness and energy….. Then he said he was quoting from ‘Health Magazine’ – yeah that sounds like a reputable research journal!

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

JillF – hair. I find my hair and nails are really good, and I think it is the salmon, nuts and seeds I eat. Probably the avocado as well. – Now maybe this is why I do not lose so fast! Wonderful news about your blood sugar levels.

Lucky enjoy the wedding and stay well

Some-one mentioned chocolate. I am sure a little is good for you. I am not a choccy addict, so it is not too hard for me

Frog I want your blood pressure so I can come off meds.

I just read a fascinating book by a fellow Aussie David Gillespie called Sweet Poison about sugar and business and FRUCTOSE of course. If it is in the library read it. Very interesting ( He lost 40kg)

• posted by Lucky Maneki
    on

Hi everybody, just a quickie! I’ve been awol due to a combination of internet problems on my PC (not my only way to access this but the easiest for me!), being very up and down health wise (up today, thankfully!) and rushing around like a blue arsed fly trying to make sure we’re prepared for this wedding on Saturday, routefinding, packing, ironing, thinking of food options because although I’m not starting panicking about food while I’m there, there’s a difference between being sensible and being stupid. The wedding day itself is going to be pastry laden, carb laden and sugar laden. And probably alcohol laden. I don’t have to go completely daft the other three days. So on top of everything else today a spelt loaf and Nigella cake will be baked. I will reply properly later. But also wanted to say, my UP band is completely kaputski. While camping the clasp went. It held together with insulation tape until a larger chunk snapped off. It then held together with a hair bobble until another chunk of band snapped off. I’m not a happy bunny with UP at the moment!

Laters! See you later when I’m packed and ready and chilling with a coffee! 92.9 kg this morning! It’s creeping down bit by bit by bit πŸ˜€ Doesn’t seem like yesterday when the scales went down into double figures from 100 kg plus! Have a good one!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi lucky
    So good to hear your weight is still going down, I’m not happy with up either as I got completely unsynched when I was out of signal for a week in Norfolk, so had to desynchronises with another email address so lost friends etc. But broken strap not good as on mine I can’t replace the strap, I think I might just go for one of those simple little fob watch type ones, as they are less likely to break.
    Hope Norfolk is good, but pitiful connection abilities for some reason well it was wherever I went. Lol
    πŸ™‹Waving

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi ruthdownunder
    It’s a great book isn’t it?
    I read it close to when I started on this plan and it was a fabulous incentive to avoid sugar/fructose.

I’ve also since read his book ‘Toxic Oil’ about the dangers of polyunsaturated oils v saturated fats and ‘Big Fat Lies’ about what the world’s health systems and big business knows and is not telling us.

Can highly recommend!
    Linda

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hello All – thank you πŸ™‚
    some great results all round – well done! My stats have averaged out now – I have been extra strict this week to make up for the excesses of the weekend and MFP tells me my daily averages are within BSD800 limits Yay! It helps me a lot to see those averages because I know I can right wrongs quite easily! It also helps me to read all your posts. Every single one is a motivator. My phone pings every time one of you posts (following a couple of threads) and it’s a little reminder of what I’m working towards. Thank you πŸ™‚

• posted by Antigone
    on

So out and about this afternoon (in France) we found a Netto supermarket. They had a shelf of various crackers made by Sigdal Bakeri (norwegian) – these included Spelt, oat and sunflower seeds. 48 calories a cracker but 3.something carbs and really tasty! The first non vegetable crunch I’ve had in weeks. I had one cracker with 20grms of cream cheese (50 cals) for a late lunch πŸ™‚ Yum

• posted by Avila
    on

Had a meeting with ‘lunch’ at end – turned out this was a fish n chips order. I was very good asking for fish and mushy peas – no chips. Confused the list maker but when the ‘small’ portion of chips turned out to feed a family I was very glad. Once something is on my plate I am much more likely to attempt it – something to do with when it was not easy for my family to get food on the plate, so don’t waste it once it is there etc – but everyone was struggling with the chip portions.

Ok so I did have the batter with the fish but compared to what I might have consumed….

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

ANTIGONE they sound lovely. I do like a crispy crunchy cracker..well done stopping at one – not easy! X

Saw my GP today..she’s lovely. She was apologetic that she wasnt well up on BSD,but is keen to learn more and was very complimentary on how between 5:2 and BSD i ‘ m attempting to improve my health.
    I deliberately didnt take mybp meds this morning,and GP was impressed that bp reading was pretty good tho not perfect without them. I have forgotten the figures now but my bp a while ago was sky high without meds.
    Sent me for blood tests and appt made to see her again in about ten days
    She said her only worry was the very low cal count, tho was reassured when i told her what I mainly eat these days. was i getting enough vit c to absorb iron from my food was a concern. She advised strawberries for vit C seeing as i was having berries every day…didn’t have the heart to tell her that they are quite Carby! X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Ohhh my goodness! Have you seen the moon tonight..its beautiful! 😘😘😘😍😍😍 xx

• posted by josie53
    on

Have been to get the results of my 12 week blood tests today, have gone from 71 to 42 so in the pre diabetic range. Blood Pressure within normal range, pretty amazing really pleased.

on

Well done Josie, that’s a fantastic result!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

• posted by Antigone
    on

Excellent news Josie. Well done πŸ™‚

• posted by Antigone
    on

Good news for you too Yowzer – well done. Did you skip out of the doctor’s?

• posted by FranFal
    on

All those having problems with their Up. If it is under a year old, therefore in warranty they will usually replace it. Email or call them, the support team are based in Ireland, I think, and are very helpful.

Having said that, the straps on the Up2s are rubbish. I have 2 in a year (so now out of warrantyπŸ™). Mine is currently, super glued & wrapped with insulating tape! When that fails I think I will try and weave a friendship band thingy to encapsulate it.

By the way have been lurking around reading this thread for a few weeks, love it, very inspirational and funny. What’s not to likeπŸ˜€

on

Welcome to the madhouse Fran! Thanks for the Up advice. Mine is still holding up although not very old. My OH has a second hand, older Up2 which definitely has a different clasp on it (one that I can’t understand TBH!) so think this complicated version is what causes them to break.!
    Btw we are currently sitting outside having enjoyed an unseasonably warm BBQ! Gotta love an Indian summer β˜€οΈπŸ˜Ž

• posted by josie53
    on

Am able to reduce the dreaded Metformin as well, thats a bigger result

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done JOSIE fab results! X

• posted by FranFal
    on

Hi Janey, thanks for the warm welcome. If it is the solid strap Up2 they make a little clip to lock the catch, they send me one at no charge.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome FRANFAL glad you’re no longer lurking! X
    Yes i dida little skip and jump ANTIGONE! Hoping after my blood test results i’ ll be doing cartwheelsπŸ˜„ X

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Josie
    Brilliant news delighted for you. πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Yowser
    Bril news, sounds like you have a very caring doc.
    😊

• posted by josie53
    on

well done on your results as well

• posted by josie53
    on

thank you without this forum and encouragement from everyone on here not sure i would have done as well, will continue

• posted by Avila
    on

There are different UP straps – mine is the hollow kind where it threads through itself and then hooks. I had read about the strap issues and hooked a small safety pin through at first, but I think it is the solid straps that as mentioned above are the concern and they offer an extra clip.

Please log in or register to post a reply.