Healthy carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lornamac
    on

I don’t have blood sugar issues and am doing this just to use a few kg which seems to be happening quite well.. Have always had sweet tooth but have been controlling it reasonably well as I’ve got older. But afterwards – I’ve never really eaten white bread, rice etc or ordinary potatoes, but what about pumpernickel bread, dense wholemeal bread, brown rice etc? I guess it may just be matter of monitoring and seeing if eating these causes weight to be regained?? Love to hear from similar people.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Loramac – sorry to say all those things are carb heavy too – for instance 100g white rice is 130cals and 28.2g carbs and brown rice is 111cals and 23g carbs; pumpernickel is a scary 47.5g per 100g and I’m fairly sure that dense wholemeal bread will not be much better. Given the size of a usual portion of these items, I would suggest that these are best avoided on a low carb way of eating, bearing in mind that there is really no way we can return to our old ways of eating and expect not to gain weight.

• posted by Lornamac
    on

Thanks SunnyB for those figures. I’ve been interested in food/nutrition for years and try to eat food as close to source as possible and struggle a bit with these foods mentioned being off limits. Do you know Mercola’s work? I did his quiz and came out as being suited to protein/carb mixed diet – some people are predominantly 1 or the other. I think I gain weight when eating beyond the point of being full, late night eating and high sugar foods of course. Going to Vietnam on Monday and will need to resist the crunchy bread the French introduced to them!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry Lornamac, I’m not familiar with Mercola’s work, so can’t advise there. I guess you need to evaluate whether you want to follow low carb or not, as a protein/carb mixed diet wouldn’t appear to be compatible with the BSD low carb style of eating.

I sympathise with you on the crusty bread, it’s only when travelling that I struggle to resist bread. We go out to Turkey soon and they serve some yummy breads, which I will have to do my best to resist.

Please log in or register to post a reply.