Headaches and hangover feeling. Toxic diet?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by burgledad
    on

Three days in to 800 diet and waking up with headaches and feel like I have been poisoned. Awful taste in my mouth. Wake in the night feeling rough. It is like a hangover and getting worse. I am drinking plenty.
    Explanations or tips?

• posted by Casey76
    on

After three days you are still going through “carb withdrawal” it does get better! Keep drinking plenty – my tea (fruit as well as normal black with milk) consumption has gone up considerably as plain water in winter is not an exciting prospect!

I had a grotty day yesterday (day 6) but I was exercising rather intensively. Other than that all I can say – it does get better 🙂

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

Water water water. I can’t stress it highly enough. They say If you get to the point where you’re thirsty then your body is already dehydrated. I’ve come to realise (2weeks in) that pre diet I would eat when I was actually thirsty. I had a headache the first couple of days but once I was up to proper hydration I honestly feel on top of the world. Last night I went to bed with a headache and realised I’d only had a couple of peppermint teas all day. I really have to stay on top of it. After writing this I’m actually going to set alarms on my phone …or find an app for it! Sounds anal but I know exactly how you feel, it’s like your addiction is saying “nah, go and have a huge plate of carbs and everything will feel better” I think it’s the cold turkey effect. Good luck and stay strong xx

• posted by Poppyseed
    on

Waterbalance is a good app to remind you to drink water. It fills up your ‘body’ with what you have drank during the day but takes it away again if you drink coffee/tea/alcohol. Its really useful to see how much water you lose every time you drink coffee

• posted by Niffer
    on

Day two, eaten 814 cals and feel as eaten plenty. Sugar withdrawal…feeling dizzy and headaches! I’ve drunk loads of water and 2 black coffees today so not dehydrated, even carried a bottle of water out with me to drink out and about. Cancelled cinema trip as don’t fancy driving with spinning head! Going to bed 8pm, hope feel better tomorrow. I know it will be worth it once get past this stage. Not diabetic so nothing to do with that, doing diet as three diabetics in family and need to loss quite a lot of weight – 3 to 31/2 stone.

• posted by Katie B
    on

I felt like this until about day 5 of the diet, I knew it was withdrawal so resisted taking pain killers but it really got to me and in the end I took some anadin and went to bed really early! I woke up the next day headache free and it hasn’t come back thankfully. I had also drunk loads of water so it wasn’t dehydration, I just think it’s your body trying to adjust to a big change in your diet. I now feel so clear headed, like a fog has lifted which feels great!

• posted by Za567
    on

Reassuring to read about everyone’s experience. I had something similar. I went to the gym yesterday morning (day 6); first time since I started the 800cal BSD. I had a low grade headache all day & felt like I’d caught flu. Took paracetamol, went to bed early & woke up feeling ok today. My focus is on drinking more water. Have lost over 2 kg so far. The recipes are really quick, tasty & filling which helps a lot!

• posted by Kitty Malne
    on

Great to understand why I’m feeling a bit hungover! Only day 2 for me, looking forward to health benefits and hopefully a smaller tum!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

I really hope so because I only started the diet today and I’ve come to bed with a banging migraine! I’m just hoping it’ll be gone in the morning. And that I won’t get any more this week, but I have a feeling I may well do, as cutting out carbs and sugar is pretty drastic! And my system is extremely sensitive. I have taken some pain killers, so hopefully it won’t prevent me from sleeping. It’s good to be on the forum and have positive comments from other people who have been on the diet longer.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

I found adding a bit more salt to my diet has cut out the headaches, that and drinking plenty of water and Red Bush Tea.
    3 days in have lost 8lb. feeling great.

• posted by Joycey
    on

I too have been suffering bad headaches and feel terrible too. It’s my third day, so still early days am really hoping to feel better soon. I thought I had been drinking enough. I am type 2 diabetic and on metformin,, I was taking glycazide and victoza injections, but because of now no sweets (my weakness and support) stopped all but the metformin. My pre diet menu did not contain carbs, pasta, pots,rice etc only the sugary sweets, so not missing carbs at all. Does anyone have any idea if the cause for feeling so rough is cold turkey off meds and sugar.

• posted by Floraellen
    on

I had exactly the same for 10 days and then one morning l woke up with a clear head and have been ok eversince. I think it is the cold turkey syndrome no sugar no carbs and the body just has to get used to it.
    In the past if l had felt light headed l had something to eat or a glass of juice. I nearly gave in so many times but thank goodness l stuck it out . Keep at it it will get better.

• posted by Robert
    on

I have had this a number of times at the start of a Low Carb Diet. Fixed by upping the carbs for a few days. And then gradually get back into less carbs. Rather than a big bang approach

• posted by Joycey
    on

Thank you for your replies.
    Great, will definitely want to carry on if these feelings are okay. For just a few days of discomfort and I guess learning a whole new approach and new understanding of diabetes and diet – is really really a small thing. It’s good to know that there is lovely support for all our journeys. Thanks all.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Joycey
    Hope you’re feeling a bit better.
    I’m sure it’s a detox type headache from coming off sugar and carbs. It seems common.
    I record my drinks by drawing 5 glasses of water and 5 cups of tea ( some with H for herb) in my notebook then crossing them off one by one.
    Good luck.
    Penny

• posted by Anonymous
    on

That’s really great to hear! I’m afraid I cheated a bit this evening by having a few cream crackers with my hummous but I didn’t have any sugar or anything else I shouldn’t have and I still have a headache! I am definitely going to persevere with the diet because not only do I want to lose my diabetes, I can’t wait to be thin again! And it’s my birthday next Thursday, so I’m really hoping the headaches will have stopped by then. Going out Friday to celebrate so am hoping and praying I don’t have any migraines or headaches that day! Thanks to everyone for your messages of support 🤗 X

• posted by Garden78
    on

I’m 2 weeks into the diet and feel really good. I don’t feel tired at all and no headaches At all now. So keep going it’s really worth it. I drank fizzy water in the evening with a slice of lemon which really helped.

• posted by Niffer
    on

End of day four, still feeling sick and suffering headaches although not as rough as I felt at end of day two. Feel it is worth pushing through especially after reading some of your posts.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Niffer
    Keep going, it will get better.
    Penny

• posted by paddy57
    on

On week 3 (Day 19) of the diet – good results so far lost 20 lbs – been feeling pretty good but since yesterday I have some nausea & headache. Going to up my water intake over the weekend to see what happens……

• posted by Joycey
    on

Good idea shall mark the drinks down too. Headaches started to go which is great. On day six and am loving most of the meals on the plan. Really tasty. Organisation is the key to the shopping and cooking. Am missing my plateful of veg though. Would love to pile it high but that would increase the cal count. Am a bit worried about blood glucose readings though. They seem to be high on wake up measurement. I guess because have reduced meds. Time will tell

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi joycey
    Great you’re feeling better.
    A lot of people have said about higher readings on waking. I think I’ve read that it’s s natural thing that is to give some energy in the morning which with normal BG isn’t a problem. So I think don’t worry about that if it goes down later.
    Michael says have half a plateful of appropriate veg and don’t weigh it. I think it’s on the forums somewhere. This has caused some confusion but I suppose that’s what we should do. It’s not huge calories anyway so I think go for it. I am!
    Penny

• posted by Joycey
    on

Had a really bad day yesterday. Just felt really really hungry. Had breakfast from menu which just didn’t do it for me. Then decided to have lunch which was still good foods. Still didn’t do it so decided about 4 pm to have dinner from menu. Okay so far you say BUT then I really needed something sweet. And had dried dates and a handful of cashew nuts and then again, then just kept eating the nuts. I knew I shouldn’t but I could stop. Then later on made a pancake and had sugar and lemon on. I know Michael says okay start again tomorrow which I am going to do. I know where this came from I built myself up to it by saying on Thursday night and again Friday that I won’t be able to manage over the weekend. So kind of ingrained the thought in my head. Lesson, to me, from this, is to know when it happens again to change the thought process. So today am going to try and think of a method to counteract Thursday’s thoughts. And am going to start Michael’s mindful technique too.
    Oops rather long sorry, but hoping it may help me understand me a bit more by writing it out.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Hi. Hate to think of you beating yourself up. You’ve done very well with the diet from what you say in earlier posts.

I started last Monday so this is my sixth day too, or is it seventh… Marks for coming clean on here about a lapse as well, if you can be honest in a forum you’re being honest to yourself. I say that because I think until these last few days I was kidding myself about what I ate and pretending to be mystified about why I put on so much weight. I suppose most people play some games until it catches up with them? Sadly not everyone can embark on a diet like this one, and a lapse here and there doesn’t mean you’re not still on the diet.

Telling myself that too – as I had some of those gorgeous choc covered coffee beans from Hotel Chocolat, but you know what? They didn’t taste anywhere near as nice as they used to. I’ve started treating myself to things rather than confectionery, like a book Peace & Parsnips someone on this forum recommended, and some old cds I never got round to buying years ago (I’m talking in the 70s!). Working for me as I realised I needed to indulge myself, or should I say reward, but not by eating. Getting some sweetness from blueberries in a breakfast drink and flavouring carbonated water – a new one will be with a few berries, mint and lemon.

• posted by Joycey
    on

Thank you for your reply. We both started Monday very best of luck for your journey too.

Every now and again I get excited at the thought of being meds free and perhaps good diabetic levels but I can’t quite believe it will happen. I have a very lot of weight to lose as in 2000/2001 lost 8 stone but sadly put all plus some back on. The science behind losing this method of weight sounds fascinating and I certainly want to be one of the people to confirm its truth and help others win over this disease. I DO NOT WANT DIABETES TO RULE ME I WANT TO RULE IT. Gosh don’t I sound tough.

Love your ideas of treats. Shall borrow that idea if you don’t mind.

Let’s keep up the good work for the week ahead. The menu looks exciting.

• posted by Joycey
    on

Hope you don’t mind auntylil but just read your profile and am similar age. Re cholesterol I take super strength krill oil 1,200mg from healthspan and my cholesterol levels dropped from 6 to around 3.9 (can’t quite remember the figure). I saw an article so started on the Krill. Have a look see, it may help. All the best.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Hello again Joycey

‘Course I don’t mind x 2 🙂 Just popped in again before I go for my lunch – decided not to do two meals only at the weekend, prefer to stick with what’s worked for me all week. Nice to be sharing our start date. Going to look into krill oil, thank you. I talked to my med centre nurse about cholesterol on Friday as I was worried about starting to use olive oil again and she reassured me that it was fine.

Your results are impressive. It feels a little suspect to feel excited about a diet doesn’t it – but like you already I’m getting a buzz out of having control. Watched a programme from last year on bbc iplayer by Fiona Phillips on sugar earlier today, yet another endorsement of this kind of eating plan. I don’t think there is any doubt that cutting out sugars/carbs is a healthy option, so it’s not just a diet but a lifestyle.

btw, you don’t sound tough – you sound STRONG!

• posted by HayClay
    on

Hi all,

Only started yesterday and was quite surprised by how much food I was able to eat! And only slight hunger pangs before my evening meal.

But my gosh, the nausea last night was awful. I was actually sick a couple of times (sorry to be gross, but only a tiny amount!). I couldn’t sleep and have got up today still nauseous and with a headache. Drinking lots and I know people talk of that hungover feeling, but has anyone actually been sick?! I know it’s withdrawal symptoms (I am a sweetie and carb monster) but I’m taking solace in the comments here that it will pass!

I also have a hen weekend this weekend (not ideal). I will do the best I can but there will be lots of wine and drunken eating (meaning crisps and carbs). I will do my best over the weekend, but when I get back on the wagon on Sunday, will these withdrawal effects come back? I really hope not!

Other than that, Husband will be eating the same as me in the evenings, but I’ll just add a jacket potato or some other carbs to his meal so the diet seems quite simple as a couple – just need to get past this stage and keep it up!

• posted by Joycey
    on

I was very queasy and headachy the first few days but it did pass. It is just the adjustment. Keep up the fluids though as this really does help.
    I think your hen weekend will cause you a set back and may well put you back to the beginning but if it does please know that the bad feelings really do not last when you get back on to the diet.
    Best of luck.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

hi Hay lay
    Have a look at the thread I started called ‘useful links’
    Penny

• posted by HayClay
    on

Thanks Penny and Joycey. Tried diets before but nothing this extreme and good to know I’m not alone, and tips to deal with it!

• posted by Omega
    on

I’m on my third day and have had headaches every day. Yesterday and today felt very queasy also. I took some migraine medication and felt better. I am certain this is just withdrawal symptoms from carbs and sugar. I regularly suffer from migraines and hope that stabilising my blood sugar levels will help having less migraines, after my body gets acclimated to the diet of course.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Feeling awful tonight. I dehydrated myself yesterday (not intentionally) and I think that’s the cause of the pains in my lower abdomen. They come and go but when they come, they are bad!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

I’ve been a BSDer for several weeks – and every so often I’m still getting a headache/hangover feeling. It’s not always food related, sometimes a stressful day at work triggers things. However, the most recent episode followed what had been my best week on this diet – after achieving my first milestone (of losing a stone) I started to feel lethargic & headachey, felt hungry & thirsty and finally gave in to my vice of choice (a bag of salt & vinegar crisps). Now I’m feeling better and have found new reserves of energy (and my garden & allotment are benefiting as a result). I think it is just my body reacting to the weight loss and it goes into panic mode (I experience a slight rise in my weight and then a plateau) before the weight starts to come off again.
    So for those of you still in the early stages of the BSD, don’t despair, it is something we all have to deal with but you do get through it. It’s not all plain sailing but next time you feel grotty you are better able to cope. And you will feel better/more energetic more times than you feel lousy. Keeping well hydrated is so important, as GrumptoGlam has pointed out.
    Good luck everyone.
    Rose

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi omega, it’s not unusual to get withdrawal headaches in the first few days, I just took some paracetamol until it stopped. You should be almost through it now and then you can enjoy the benefits. I have just realised i haven’t had a migraine for weeks, fingers crossed 🙂

• posted by georgiarose
    on

2 and 1/2 weeks and going well, except tonight blood pressure must be down. Slightly feint feeling and if raise head or get up suddenly, very dizzy. Didn’t even feel like eating tonite. Anyone else?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi georgiarose, my blood pressure has always been on the low side throughout my life. I experienced what you are going through during the first month and then it sorted itself. In fact I had forgotten all about it until I just read your post!! So hang on in there! 🙂

• posted by NewLife
    on

Hi all, I’m getting intermittent headachey spells (middle of week 2) which mostly settle when I drink water. So hydration is clearly important. Most days I feel great overall (much better than preBSD) but I’ve had one day feeling crap (coincided with a stressful day at work) and some of the old food thoughts started to creep in. I drank water and got through it.

• posted by Gabby67
    on

I am now on day 11 and the light headed feeling is going away drink lots of water and herbal teas
    Your body will adjust soon keep going

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

For headaches, I found that i needed more water.

On a rare occasion I needed more complex carbs, like legumes. I would also add a mandarin orange or kiwi to the end of the luncheon meal – so the blood sugars were set by the protein and fat and didn’t rise as much when the fruit was added. Extra greens helped too. Complex carbs at the end of the day seemed to interfere less with the fat burning. I kept my carbs to about 50 grams a day except when my body seemed to require them, lol. My motto was body first, diet second. Keeping myself healthy throughout the 8 weeks. (I have now finished the 8 weeks and am on 5/2)

I had a huge problem with faintish stuff. Very low blood pressure. Ultimately, we had to increase the amount of salt I was eating. Then as a trick, I now always get up slowly, pulling the abdomen in. That pushes the blood up!

• posted by Lana_del_Kaye
    on

Burgledad I’ve had the same experience. Six days into Orientation week trying it all out and I’ve had a night where I experienced incredibly painful withdrawal : headaches, restlessness, extreme thirst, desperate for salt, complete lack of focus. I’m glad everyone’s advice has been 1-3 days. Poisoning is the right word for it ….. Has anyone got any advice/ has experienced that if you have slipped up – (in O week I thought it should be ok) – with too much chocolate (etc) – that the day after is withdrawal hell?

• posted by Lana_del_Kaye
    on

Thank you GateofHeaven that’s really helpful advice. Body first diet second is sound advice.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,

I don’t know if you realise this but you are posting on a very old thread. – We tend to organise ourselves by having a weekly thread the new one starts each week on a tuesday and has the date in the heading. On that thread you will find everyone from newcomers to people who have been following this way of eating for a long time and will be able to get all the help you need.

There are only a few oddballs on the forum who read all posts.

Please log in or register to post a reply.