Hair Loss etc

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lonnie24
    on

On the BSD can you experience hair loss, leg cramps, halted periods and feelings of coldness?

• posted by GillyD
    on

Hi Lonnie24…I haven’t had any hair loss or leg cramps as such but early on my period came a week early ( back to normal so far ) and definitely feel much colder ( unheard of for me previously as I have high BP!) such an unusual feeling as I was always complaining of being hot 😂

• posted by Lonnie24
    on

Thank you GillyD

• posted by Patsy
    on

Lonnie, those sound like symptoms of an underactive thyroid – have you been tsted for that?

I’ve been feeling hot – but I think that’s more my age than the diet!

• posted by JCH187
    on

That does sound like an underactive thyroid. My legs have felt weak/wobbly while I’ve been on the diet so I started on magnesium and it’s helped, it hasn’t gone completely but it is better.

• posted by Pippador
    on

Came across these posts as was wondering whether my hair loss might be related to the fast 800 keto. I have done the latest variant of Dr Mosley’s plan for three months each year for five years. Over that time my hair got thinner. A hairdresser mentioned it but I didn’t make the link with the diet – thought must be the menopause. Last year I lost two stone and it stayed off in stage 3 long term maintenance. But my hair was still coming out and a lot thinner than it had been. I saw a trichologist and the main concern was lack of carbohydrate. She said my eating was incredibly healthy but that hair needs two main things that the Fast500, Fast800, Fast 800 keto and time restricted eating is that hair needs carbs and that the most important meals for hair are breakfast first thing. So I followed her advice, abandoned the time restricted eating, added in egg and wholemeal bread in the morning and a small sweet potato every day. My hair started growing back and I now have thick 10 cms growth all over. Hugely relieved. Yes, I have very gradually put on a stone but my hair is too important for my confidence to lose at such a rate. So I agree with comments above – would be good to have Dr M’s input on hair loss with his diet

• posted by Patsy
    on

I have an underactive thyroid and experienced al those symptoms. It’s now completely controlled by medication, so do get checked f you haven’t already.

Everyone is different, but I’ve been following a modified version of the BSD for years and have loads of hair. I’m really surprised to hear that hair needs ‘breakfast first thing’. I can’t see any reason for the time food is eaten to make any difference. I’ll be interested to hear if you were given a reason for that. Not totally convinced about the needs for carbs either. Hair does need protein, so I can understand how adding eggs to your diet might help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.