Greek Yogurt for Australians

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MsBloodyMinded
    on

Just wondering what Greek yogurt people in Australia/WA are eating? What brand has everyone found to work best?

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hi there MsBloodyMinded, love your monicker:)

I’ve been enjoying Jalna Natural Greek Yoghurt but wanted to get my OH (coeliac disease+lactose intolerance) off the highly sugared soy yoghurts he has been using for some years. So, in one of the local IGA stores (Carine) I came across Natural Sheep Milk Yoghurt “authentic Mediterranean style” from Meredith Dairy (Victoria). It’s reasonably mellow, certainly not as sharp as I thought it might be, and I like it. 434kj and 3.5gm carbs per 100gm. They also have a goats milk style which I haven’t tried.

Hope this helps…

• posted by MsBloodyMinded
    on

Hi there Marsie – we are practically neighbours! Thanks for the tip. It has good numbers and I will pick some up today. 🙂

• posted by fiftyfifty
    on

Hi MsBloodyMinded 🙂

I enjoy the Farmers Union Greek style natural yoghurt. I have it often for breakfast with blueberries or strawberries, and toasted flaked almonds. Having said that, I haven’t tried any other brands so don’t really know how it compares.

I can relate to how you describe yourself in your profile. I will be fifty next year, and was feeling both fat and frumpy, but I have been following the BSD low carb Med style diet since Easter, and I no longer feel fat or frumpy! I am truly thrilled to have discovered this way of eating. It is doable, sustainable and enjoyable, and this forum is great for support and motivation!

Good luck!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I like the Farmers Union Greek style too, but nowadays I made my own with an Easiyo kit. Much cheaper (especially when you use milk powder with just a couple of tablespoons of culture instead of a whole packet) and very nice.

• posted by Tangojane
    on

Hi. I live in Fremantle and having lived in Cyprus for 16 yrs I was always disappointed with
    Australian Greek yogurt until fairly recently I found DODONI, I love it. 100g has 98 cals, 4.8g carb and 4.8g sugar. I have followed the BSD diet for 10 weeks and lost 11 kgs. Today I had my blood sugar and Hb A1c tests and I’m anxiously awaiting a good result. I started the diet after being diagnosed pre diabetic and insulin resistant.
    The name on the pot has Greek Omega for the O in DODONI. I get it in Coles. It’s 8% fat. Before I found it I used jalna Greek yogurt. Good luck.sheila.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Good luck with your results, Tangojane.

I’m luckily not pre- or diabetic and as I said on another thread, I’m anxious not to reach that level. I would feel so terrible having to tell my son who has type 1, that his mother was silly/self-indulgent enough to bring on type 2. I know for some people self indulgence is not a cause, but in my case I think it would be. I’m just scraping 5’1″ and small framed, so when overweight i look a bit like a butterball.

I’ll have a lookout for Dodoni, see if suitable for Coeliac + lactose intolerant husband.
    Natalie, I had a look at the Easiyo and think I’ll probably give it a miss for the above reason.

Nice thread, helpful…..

• posted by Marsie
    on

Nice to know I have a practically neighbour on the forums msbloodyminded….Sorrento for me x

Please log in or register to post a reply.