Glucose levels gone up???

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MissPatti
    on

I have been following this diet closely for just one week now so decided to take my sugar reading. I was 7.1 at the start and 10.2 now, both are fasting and I am still taking 3 metformin 500mg a day as before. Contacted my dietitian to check if she had come across this before, she hadn’t but suggested I up my exercise. I am within normal weight so losing weight is not my focus, it’s bringing down the sugar reading. Anyone else out there had this problem?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there

Fasting blood measurements are notoriously variable. Try reading Bill1954’s thread “this has to work for me” (use SEARCH box top right) and also search for other fasting blood threads to help you.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    When are you due to get your next HbA1c test done? (the one that measures over the previous three months)
    Is it worth contacting your GP about bringing it forward if it’s not soon?
    I had a test due after I’d been doing BSD for about a month, then the diabetes nurse requested another one three months in, about three weeks ago.
    I’d dropped metformin after the June test, and by the August one my blood glucose level was well inside the normal range.

My understanding is that they are a lot more reliable, because they’re measuring a longer period.
    If you can get one, hopefully it will put you’re mind at rest.

• posted by MissPatti
    on

Thanks for that…just had an HbA1c a couple of weeks ago and it was high (7+) which prompted me to try the diet rather than have more meds prescribed. I’m due for another test end of October to see how I’ve got on. I’m thinking I’ll press on as this diet seems completely sensible and I’m hoping my reading will be improved by my next test.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I found my numbers were up and down the first 2 weeks then suddenly went down and settled. You say you don’t have to lose weight so which diet are you doing. The BSD 800 should give you a faster result based on the fact you lose the visceral fat from around the liver and pancreas. If you are not cutting to 800 calories the blood sugar might take a little longer to come down. If you are low carbing then you should see an improvement soon. Are you having a snack before bed to top up your glucose level through the night, if not then you might get a spike.

• posted by MissPatti
    on

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. Yes, I am doing the BSD 800 and I will start having a bed time snack and see if that helps.

• posted by MissPatti
    on

Really helpful link from ‘ Igorasusual’ thanks…explains a lot.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi MissPatti – the October test sounds really well timed
    If the fasting ones are generally a bit variable, don’t worry about it too much – I’m sure your levels will be down by the time you get to the October test.

Please log in or register to post a reply.