Getting ready for a restart in 2018

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Granny!

Milk has sugar in it (lactose). I think that’s the reason it’s supposed to be limited. I don’t think cream and butter do, so they’re OK as long as you account for the calories.

I’ve never tried halloumi. Does it not melt when cooked?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi all,
    In keto circles, dairy is limited because some people don’t tolerate it well and some think that it causes low-level inflammation which can affect weight-loss. I think you need to see how you feel – I still have dairy but I do sometimes wonder if it’s great for me. The sugar in milk is lactose, but it doesn’t affect bg levels – if you have too much though, the calories add up.
    Halloumi is great for frying Squidge because it doesn’t melt – it just goes a lovely crispy golden colour – yum!
    SSB

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve always had lots of milk (Dad really was the milkman!) and don’t suffer any digestive troubles so I’m going to keep having it. I’d feel really deprived without and give up. I have cut down as I’m no longer drinking it on its own – just in tea.

I’ll get some halloumi next time we’re shopping and try it. We’ve decided to try lots of new low carb things. Maybe we’ll get new favourites to replace some of the carby things we used to love?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

I think that’s exactly right Squidge, finding new ‘favourites’ so the craving for other things reduces. It’s also about mindset – it’s odd that we call things which make us unwell ‘treats’. I’m with you on milk though, I couldn’t drink black tea but I am working towards reducing milk in coffee – by that I mean coffee with milk instead of full lattes 😂. I think really good ice-cream will have to stay as a very occasional ‘treat’.
    SSB

• posted by Squidge
    on

It’s the marketing people who’re to blame. There’s more profit in junk food than apples and cabbages, so it’s the junk food which gets promoted as something we should want and feel good about eating. If anything healthy suddenly becomes trendy or a ‘superfood’ then you can bet it’s really expensive.

• posted by Strawberry13
    on

Hi all!! Just thought for anyone reading this that is considering starting… just do it!!

I’ve completed 4 days and have weighed in this morning with a 7lb weight loss!! Not only that.. I must have had about 10 comments about my skin/that I look different/that I’m glowing etc.. My skin has completely cleared up. I feel completely different after, believe me, doing every ‘diet’ under the sun… forever! I’m actually finding this easy to stick to and even though 800 calories doesn’t sound a lot… not once have I been hungry. Plus I’m eating and enjoying, truly delicious meals.

Any delish recipe recommendations.. would be gratefully received 🙂

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Strawberry13, that’s amazing – it’s almost impossible to explain to people how different this woe is and how great you can feel. We just have to keep spreading the word.
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Squidge – have a look at Death by Food Pyramid by Denise Minger – it’s a comprehensive and scientific review of all the food ‘advice’ handed out over the decades. It’s quite long but she writes well and it’s very entertaining – just be prepared to be outraged at the political and big money interests which have skewed and damaged our health.
    SSB

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, Strawberry!

We had an adapted chicken chasseur yesterday – I cooked chicken thighs (skin off as I don’t like it unless it’s crisp) with leeks, tomatoes, mushrooms and tinned tomatoes, with lots of thyme and pepper. It was really nice – I’m glad I made a big batch! I’ve frozen some as ready meals for later on. (I’ve found it’s best to put the extra in containers before having our dinner, so we’re not tempted to have seconds). I served it with geen veggies – they fill up the plate without adding loads of carbs and calories.

SSB, I can well believe it about the outrage! One thing which annoys me is that so many articles, TV programmes etc come up with low fat/low calorie desserts and snacks. Nooooo! If we’re overweight we need to stop eating that stuff, not switch to an artificially sweetened, trans fat version. There’s no money to be made from people who leave the lid on the biscuit tin.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I was at a talk about raising a specific breed of beef cattle which are renown for the marbling in the meat on Tuesday. (Marbling is the threads of fat through the meat, and there are grading standards from 1 to 12 depending on the amount/size if the threads of fat). The farmers had found that their grass fed cattle lost fat from within the muscle so that the meat was no longer marbled within 2 months of the start of autumn. (Sugar levels in the grass is less during winter) They have to supplemented the cattle’s feed with first cut silage (grass cut and stored at the time of maximum sugar levels) to maintain the fat levels within the muscle.

I thought people who are interested in where they loose inches might want to know this. If the same applies to humans then as soon as we go on a low carb diet our bodies will be drawing on the fat stored within the muscle structures throughout out bodies in the first couple of months.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Good morning – how is everyone doing?
    I have weighed myself this morning and I’m back under 9st! 🎉😊
    I fasted yesterday until 4.00 then had a (large) handful of nuts and a cup of tea, then for dinner I had griddled swordfish with salad and homemade keto mayonnaise – yummy.
    Interestingly, since really cutting the carbs (instead of allowing a few here and there), I have really gone off alcohol – has anyone else found this?
    Keep smiling – onwards and downwards
    SSB

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done, SSB! Is that your target weight?

We’ve given up alcohol for January and found it easier than we’d expected (we used to drink almost every day). Maybe cutting the carbs has helped?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Thank you Squidge – target weight – sort of… I’d really like to get to 8 1/2 but I’m not sure how disciplined I can be to get there.
    I am absolutely sure that significantly reducing carbs (especially the rubbish ones) makes a big difference to alcohol tolerance and also desire for it. Perhaps that’s why pubs, bars and junk food outlets all do so well?
    SSB

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes ladies! Bars, pubs, etc. put out the salty snacks to increase your thirst
    so that you need another pint, or spirits or wine. Proceeds go straight into
    their coffers, and weight straight onto our midriff or hips 🙂

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Oh so right Alliecat!
    SSB

• posted by Squidge
    on

You’re close to your target weight then, SSB.

I’m aiming for 9st 2. It’s roughly in the middle of the healthy range for my height and also the weight I was when I met my husband.

I’ll be interested to see what happens when we allow ourselves to start drinking again. Maybe we won’t want to?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Squidge, 9st 2 is ok for my height but I still have too much belly fat – typical TOFI. I’m hoping that if I can get to 8 1/2 it might reduce the fat. I’m wondering whether to do keto for a few weeks as that is supposed to really hit the body fat.
    I’d like to think I could give up alcohol forever but having just moved to Spain, I think that might be asking too much! 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
    Keep smiling.
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

I’m feeling very pleased with myself – I almost gave in and had toast with my soup at lunchtime BUT I didn’t! I ate my chicken and cauliflower soup mindfully and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m sure that each time we make a strong choice, it makes the next time easier.
    Stay strong ladies! 💪 👍
    SSB

Please log in or register to post a reply.