Getting Geard up for the Start – 1st March

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by volly14
    on

Hi All

getting myself ready to start on 1st March, anyone got any tips for a shopping list for Monday 29th? Very excited about getting started. I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic but I would love to loose 40 lbs Is there a limit as in can you keep going beyond the 8 weeks if you are getting on well with the weight loss? any advice is really appreciated

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Volly
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don’t use the recipes particularly so I can’t help you with the shopping list. Depends what you like eating that’s not carbs! Lots of greens to add to your meals. Michael says don’t count them but some people do. Definitely plan your meals for the week if possible then shop from that.
    Re continuing after 8 weeks. One of our number- captain Lynn – asked the team and they said continue a few more weeks 2-3?- then go on the 5:2 or the Mediterranean diet as outlined in the book.
    After the first 2-3 days people say it’s the easiest diet they’ve ever done. Which it is. Because most people don’t feel particularly hungry after the beginning. I think because our blood sugar is more stable due to lack of carbs.
    Good luck with your start. The forums are so helpful and supportive.
    Penny

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi Volly and welcome…glad you’ve got a start date in mind. It is a bit daunting as its a complete change for lots of people so I understand how you feel in terms of wondering how to shop.
    I do a sort of variation on the recipes using what I enjoy, keeping it simple and making sure I can prepare something easily when I get home from work or need to take lunch. It might be a bit unadventurous but I find that it works for me. I can tell you what My shopping list is – obviously I don’t buy all this every week but have a vague idea for meals and keep chicken/Turkey/salmon in the freezer:
    Whole Milk – for coffee/ tea
    Greek Yoghurt – full fat – good for breakfast with a very few seeds/almonds/ raisins/ground flax (they sell packs in Aldi/Lidl)
    Coconut oil – for cooking
    Olive oil – to make salad dressing with mustard and vinegar (only use a v small amount but keep in fridge)
    Coconut milk (use for stir fries but only a tbls or so and keep the rest in jam jar in fridge)
    Chilli flakes, fish/soy sauce, bottled lime juice – use for stir fries
    Full fat cottage cheese – make the simple egg muffins in the recipe section so sometimes add a bit of feta, ham or bacon – good for breakfast/lunch
    Eggs -boiled, scrambled, omelettes
    Chicken/turkey breast – for stir fries or to have with veg
    Salmon or other fish to serve with veg and/ or salad
    Smoked mackerel/ tinned sardines/tinned tuna – good for lunch with salad and a few chickpeas
    Mushrooms -button and flat – good for breakfast
    Chickpeas- to make hummus, chuck in a salad etc
    Brown rice – I buy packets of ready cooked and just use a couple of tablespoons and keep the rest
    Green veg – broccoli, cabbage, pak choi, green beans, courgettes etc- whatever you like for stir fries, steaming etc
    Salad veg – cucumber, tomatoes, radishes, peppers, red cabbage, spring onions, watercress, rocket , lettuce etc
    Sirloin steak – about once a fortnight
    Sorry this is such a long post but hope it helps – I’ve done three weeks and am 12lbs down- all the food looks expensive but it’s not really because not buying all the usual extras I find I actually use everything with no waste.
    Good luck and hope it goes well for you!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Forgot to add – apples and frozen berries!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Aliba- I love your list! Mine would be similar but soya instead of dairy. Also some red meat to cook delicious stews in the slow cooker. And pears and occasionally a bit of watermelon, and oranges.
    We re so Lucky to live in such a well- provided society!
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.