Fragile

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Langerhans
    on

Hi,
    I’m on day 9 of bsd800 and it’s been going fine so far, sticking to plan and enjoying the food.
    Something really nasty happened at work today (I’m a nurse) and I’m just home now feeling tearful and shaken up, and trying really hard not to comfort/emotional eat. Help me please…

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

So sorry to hear that, Langerhans. Being a nurse does put you at the forefront of bad stuff and it’s no surprise you are upset.

Can you comfort yourself – that’s what you need – with a warm bath, some candles, a warm drink (it may be a very hot day with you too, so maybe a cool bath) and some music?

But you should also forgive yourself. Sometimes things are hard and you do what you do.

Thinking of you.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Langerhans,

Sorry it’s been a rough day. Here if you need a chat… take care of yourself, as igorasusual says a little self comfort, warm bath, some lovely bath oils to help you relax…get into favourite comfy clothes or pyjamas??… wrap yourself in a cosy blanket and watch your favourite uplifting movie or show. 🌻

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I am thinking good thoughts for you all the way from California.
    Julia

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Langerhans,
    I agree with both igorasusual, and Imogen, please make sure you look after yourself! You can’t do what you do day in day out without making sure you are I good health mentally, physically, and emotionally, however, I suspect being a nurse you already know that, so for now follow that famous phrase ‘physician health thyself’. I hope you will soon be feeling better, enjoy that soak in a hot/cool bath, perhaps with some soothing aromatherapy oils?
    Christine

• posted by Langerhans
    on

Thank you all for your kind words (although Igor’s made me blub!)

Just letting you know that I made a spinach omelette and watched an undemanding tv programme, and went to bed with aromatherapy candles and a bowl of frozen berries and Greek yoghurt. I listened to a Youtube guided meditation (Michael Sealey) and fell asleep.

Well, it’s 4am so I’ll try to get a little more rest before I go back to the coalface. Thank you again.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Langerhans,
    Sometimes a good cry is exactly what’s needed! Hope you got some more rest…4am…too early!
    Wishing you a better day.🌻

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi langerhans,
    I hope you have had a better day today? Did you manage to get back to sleep after you were awake at 4 am?
    Sometimes you just have to give yourself a treat, whatever that might be, and it sounds like you did just that!
    Christine.

• posted by Langerhans
    on

I snoozed on and off for an hour, then had a bath before work – still a little shaky but overall a better day.

Thank you again – I love this diet and I love this forum ❀️

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi langerhans,
    I’m so pleased today was a better day today, onwards and downward, and don’t forget, look after yourself! then you will be able to look a after others. Thinking of you.
    Christine.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Glad today has been better for you LANGERHANS! Take all the advice above and use it on a regular basis..
    its good to care about yr work but you have to see to number one.
    As a nurse you will get to see lots of sad and upsetting scenarios – maybe you need to protect yrself a bit while having to give so much of yrself in yr work..
    some people believe in putting protection round themselves..thsi is easy to do,just imagine yrself surrounded by a golden light,which shields you from all the negativity you encounter day to day xx

• posted by Langerhans
    on

Hello lovelies,
    I’ve made a mindful choice to not worry about sticking rigidly to the bsd . I (and another nurse) was assaulted yesterday and I am now off sick with severe bruising and concussion. I’m feeling absolutely awful. I am dependent on my sons for meals and drinks for the next few days. There’s plenty of food in the fridge, but I can’t expect them to weigh and combine them as I would. I’ll be back on board soon, I’m sure. Thank you again for all your wisdom and support. xx

• posted by Bissell
    on

Really sorry to hear that Langerhans, what a terrible thing to happen. Thank goodness you have the support of your sons. As you say, leave worrying about the diet for now, it’s more important that you look after yourself. I hope you have plenty of support from your colleagues too.
    Be kind to yourself, and don’t let the bastards grind you down.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Langerhans – hope that you’re feeling well soon

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi langerhans
    I think I have a bad day when the laptop doesnt work I feel ashamed.
    Look after yourself you do a very difficult job and what happened to you is inexcusable. All prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery

• posted by Imogen
    on

Oh Langerhans, what a horrible experience…
    Please take time to recover fully…take care of yourself…and let your son’s help as much as possible. You will probably sleep a lot over the next few days whilst you recover from the head trauma. I know you are a nurse…and it can be difficult to be the ‘patient’…
    Hoping you feel well soon.πŸ’πŸŒ»πŸ’πŸ’–

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Wishing you well, Langerhans.

Take care of yourself, and let yourself be taken care of by your sons.

And take all the support offered from work, no trying to be brave. This shouldn’t happen to anyone, and most certainly to those people who try and help others. Best wishes also to your colleague, please tell her/him we are thinking of him.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thinking of you LANGERHANS xx so sorry and disgusted to hear this. You go out each day with the aim of helping people who arent well and it isn’t right youre repaid this way.Take life slowly and get as much rest as you can.
    Best wishes to you and yr colleague xx sending gentle hugs and flowers 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Just sending my very best wishes. Hope you recover quickly. xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

LANGERHANS just wondering how you and yr colleague are doing? X thinking of you xx!

• posted by Langerhans
    on

Aww, thank you, Yowzer49. Kind of you to think of us. The bruising is healing but we both have headaches still and horrid flashbacks. Our manager and colleagues are being very supportive, but we’re both considering a change of ward when we go back to work. Still trying to get back on BSD but today wasn’t the day! xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thats the sad thing isnt it..wounds heal but the emotional damage ..well its a different story isnt it
    I’ m glad youre getting support from yr workplace X hopefully from family and friends also.

No ..BSD isnt for you just now is it..be kind to yrself,eat nourishing foods and give yrself some treats,you deserve them! Thanks for reporting back and keep in touch x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Give yourself a little more space and time Langerhans. The BSD will still be there when you are really ready to pick up the reigns, so don’t pressure yourself. Hope you will soon be feeling stronger mentally and physically. Be kind to yourself and take things gently.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Langerhans I hope you are feeling better. Sometimes it is the psychological damage that is hardest to bear. I hope you are getting talking therapy. Think of all the good you do and forget about the sh-t you have to put up with. Your Islets will get better, just jump into the BSD when you feel ready.

on

Just a nursing joke, when we were out off duty my name was Melina Stool. Funny but there is a Rue de Melina just in our village. It always makes me smile. For non nurses, google.

• posted by CazR53
    on

My friend and I were Melinda stool and Emma royd lol! if they boys in the night club weren’t much good

• posted by Busybee
    on

As a retired nurse, I have so enjoyed your nurse’y names.
    There appear to be quite a few nurses on BSD – why did we allow ourselves to get so over weight? I remember in the sixties hearing a comment by a patient about my size, but here I am nearly 70 and bigger than ever! I must do this!
    X B

on

Busybee, I never was overweight, weighed 65 kg before diabetes, lost 3kg on doctors orders then he put me on insulin and I gained 15 kilos in 6 months then plus a few more when I saw a nutritionist and she put me on a special diabetic high carb diet – according to her. I am still not massively overweight, maybe 8 or 9 kilos. My only other overweight times were after pregnancy and when I stopped smoking, both times I lost the weight within months. We are not all diabetic because we are overweight. Don’t take offence, just thought it should be said.

• posted by CazR53
    on

My weight has always gone up and down, we always had to eat on the run or eat quickly, or no breaks no wonder we gained a few ponds with our erratic eating habits! πŸ˜•

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi all,
    My goodness, how do nurses let themselves gain weight? Incorrect nutrition advice for the past 50 years is a great place to start. Then we can move on to shift work…and increased cortisol levels…..erratic eating patterns because the breaks for meals that are supposed to be taken, never are due to always being short staffed…and then when you do get days off there are the constant phone calls asking you to go to work because they’re short staffed….then there’s the canteens and the ‘food’ they offer….(learnt early on to take my own food)…the list goes on…how do we allow ourselves to gain weight?

Malaena Stool’s name was often called out over the PA system at the local club – anyone with nursing/medical knowledge would burst out laughing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.