Forgive the indelicate question!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fliptop
    on

Apologies for the subject matter! I am a week and a half into 5:2 BSD and although not constipated, there is a significant reduction in the quantity of “waste” I’m getting rid of. Obviously without the bulk of bread and pasta etc I suppose this is to be expected, but would still be happy to hear of others noting such a change?

I am not diabetic, and am following this mainly to lose weight, but also try and lose my lifelong dependence on sugar! Lost 5 lb so far and don’t seem to be worried about sugar at all! Yay!

Thank you!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello fliptop, no it is not unusual. What you need is more water and fibre. White carbs do not bulk up your stools they just clog up but your body is used to them. You should be getting better movement soon from eating foods high in fibre like vegetables, seeds and nuts and a good quantity of good oils like olive oil or rapeseed will push it along nicely. If you struggle then try something like chia seeds on your morning yoghurt – just a sprinkle or, failing that, I have a drink of fizzy Andrews Liver Salts – yes they still make them. You say there is a considerable reduction in the quantity but it could just be more concentrated having had the water sucked out of it, hence more water.

• posted by Fliptop
    on

Many thanks sunshine-girl! I will try all you suggested.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Fliptop,
    I’m glad you asked that question, saved me from asking. I had the same problem. I’ve upped the fibre and water and also started sprinkling linseed and/or flaxseed in my morning yoghurt – although do find drinking lots of water difficult. Hope it gets sorted.

Marie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Try using the search box in the top right corner of the page, to search for constipation. There has been lots written on the forum about it before and some of the advice might be useful. Best of luck ….

• posted by Fliptop
    on

Many thanks Marie. I always considered myself quite good with the fluids as I was drinking around 2 litres a day (not all plain water, but also tea and coffee), but then found that at my age (67) I probably should up it a bit more anyway. I’m sure all will be well!

• posted by Fliptop
    on

Thank you SunnyB. I will certainly spend some more time researching.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hi quick thought … from the coal face as it were as I have been having same thing. From being v regular to only every 2 or three days. But when I do go, it’s a regular consistency i.e.: definitely not constipated. I drink a lot of water (because I am so thirsty all the time!) and try and get something green inside me (spinach/rocket/broccoli) and drink black coffee. And after a day or so it sorts itself out. So I think that’s OK, really, it’s just you have less waste so less to dispose of. My non-scientific theory! But I feel fine in myself, so I figure it’s just one more change in my body.

• posted by Jeffcott35
    on

8 pints of Guinness sorts it out.

• posted by Harleysmum
    on

Hi Fliptop,
    Congratulations on your early successes. Stick with it! I quite often eat beetroot in my salads …. definitely a bulker-upper (don’t be alarmed if you also turn them purple 😀)

• posted by Fliptop
    on

Thank you Harleysmum! I love beetroot and often forget to add some of that – it’s filling too! I’ve got used to the technicolour effects it has, so don’t get alarmed any more! Thanks again.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Beets are very high in sugar, 7 grams per meager 100 gram portion which is something like 2/3rds of a cup. I don’t use them at all, even though they’re one of my favorite things. It’s not as dire for those of you with a higher tolerance for sugars, but I would suggest being very cautious about portion size. They’re heavy and dense and 100 grams is a tiny amount.

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

This is obviously a subject on people’s minds – mine too! I used to eat lots of beans and wholegrain rice and things started grinding to a halt when I started BSD. I’m reintroducing the bulk by taking psyllium husks in water (bought from Amazon). You have to stir it quickly and drink it down, otherwise it sets into a kind of jelly. Some people add other things to turn it into a kind of pudding but I’d rather just get it over with. I struggle to drink 2 litres of water. I fill a jug at the start of the day so I can see how much I’ve had. The other day the cat managed to knock it over on the kitchen table, all over a precious book, a cheque for £150 and my Tablet. I was not a happy bunny!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just thought I’d contribute my solution – chia seeds. Found psyllium seemed to exacerbate the problem, whereas chia seems to help get things moving. However, on occasions when things still seem to stall, I take a couple of magnesium tablets, which help to set things off again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.