Food preparation

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by DawnG
    on

I’ve just finished reading the book, and I’m in preparation mode, emptying some cupboards (a bit difficult with two teenagers) and filling them up with the “right” foods.
    Breakfasts is a bit daunting. As many i’m out of bed at the last minute and leaving the house when others are still in bed means a bit restricted to using blenders. Can breakfasts such as blueberry green shake and other blended mixtures be prepared the evening before, Is it btter to do a big batch and freeze it in portions? Don’t know if loosing vitamins would be a big problem. In 800 calories you need to make sure you get the right nutrients in your body. Thanks.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi DawnG
    Welcome. Hurry on board the more the merrier.
    First, put a big label on your cupboard saying ‘Mine!’ Keep your food boxes in the fridge & label the same. Your kids will be at the goodies & you’ve got em hooked!

Seriously, breakfast is a good idea but some on this diet don’t have it, never have. I choose to miss it on some days to increase my fasting time between meals. Read the book again & mark the really important points. I’m type 2 diabetic still on metformin , but reducing dose. My decision ,my dr not on board with BSD.

Maybe reduce the number of liquid breakfasts per week. It’s better to have the fibre & nutrients in unliquidised form. However, Plenish by Kara M L Rosen plenishcleanse.com is worth a look. I would always make fresh shakes so they kept all the goodness. I bought an auto Ninja but only used it once so far.

Try & prep the night before or get up a bit earlier if you choose to make breakfast. Boiled eggs & Parma/ Serrano ham are tasty. Scrambled eggs plain or ‘Spanish ‘ style ( no potatoes) are filling & quick. Thick Greek full fat yoghurt, soft fruit & nuts are popular too. Smoked salmon & poached eggs very good treat. Porridge, soak the oats the night before will hasten microwaving. But it doesn’t take long anyway. Oats spike my bloods sugars so not for me. Read the recipes in the book & posted ones.

Make a list of what you like & are willing to try food wise, then shop for it. Some people make a week long menu.
    If you are really going to be rushed make something the night before & take it with you
    Eureka

• posted by Patsy
    on

Yoghurt with some fruit, nuts or seeds doesn’t take long to prepare – no longer than pouring milk on to cereals and it doesn’t make a noise.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Dawn I’m a Greek Yoghurt convert, with added frozen cherries/blackberries, + chopped seeds/nuts and sprinkle of milled flax and chia seeds.

I make it the night before, keep in fridge in little pot, and take to work. Personally I try not to eat it until about 11 30am. If I’m busy this is quite easy. I have a black coffee when I arrive, then about 4 glasses of water in morning.

I have made shakes the night before but didn’t enjoy them so much. I think it’s better to eat than drink. I really love the extra sprinkles of good ingredients as some crunch with my yoghurt.

Once you get organised buying the new items, It’s much better. Good luck.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Hi I have started trying to do this diet, using the 5:2 combined. As far as I know I don’t have diabetes or pre-diabetes but I want to do this diet to be generally more healthy. I am eating food that has low sugar (logging on MFP) but the other nutrients etc I don’t know what I should be aiming for. Is there a list somewhere that I can refer to. I didn’t see it listed in the book and on MFP some of the results look bad, but maybe they’re not. I thought I was having too much salt but MFP says 2300??? I’m about 800 on the site.

I’ve tried googling but all I can get is so many grams per day but when you look its much more than that with funny u type symbols. Help please
    Jane

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Most people on this forum aim for about 50 grams of carbs a day. Since you don’t have blood sugar concerns, you can probably go a little higher, but not too much since you’re still doing a low carb diet for weight loss and health. Once you determine your preferred daily carb limit, follow LindaA’s instructions in this post and you’ll have the MFP macronutrients sorted out in no time flat: https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/20th-feb-starters/page/4/#post-58403

Good luck!

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Thank you Esnecca, will try that. In the meantime will try to make sure carbs are below 50. I do feel hungry some of the time, but surprisingly well so far, only been on it for a week. I’m not weighing myself until a couple of weeks, because I very easily become despondent but will report back when I do.
    Thanks again

Jane

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

I’ve been on the page you suggested and altered by settings on MFP accordingly, feeling so much more confident thank you very much.

Jane

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s great, Jane. 🙂 When you’re feeling hungry, turn to small portions of good fats (an ounce of hard cheese will do wonders) and foods that are high in fiber. A tablespoon of chia seeds, for instance, has an incredible 5.5 grams of fiber. Sprinkle them on a salad or mix with almond milk to make a low cal-no carb pudding that will fill you up nicely.

• posted by janeandmoses
    on

Will do, always looking to increase fibre!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.