Food group percentage goal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by fruitmonster
    on

Hi, I’ve just started yesterday after realising I have to higher sugar and carbohydrates( mainly from sugar)Can anyone tell me what percentage of sugar and carbs I should aim for a day on 800 calories?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sugar sugars you should be having none, but if you mean sugar naturally occurring in fruit (for instance) just count it in as total carbs. Most of us aim for 50g of carbs or less. Watch out for most fruits except blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, you can occasionally have an apple or pear but they are high in carbs and totally avoid tropical, overly sweet fruits, and bananas. If you pitch your calories at 800 you wont have much opportunity for sweet things or high carb fruit or veg. Sorry it is not in percentages but someone else can do the maths.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey fruitmonster – welcome on board! Most aim for around the 50g carb mark (some lower) for daily carb intake, however, I couldn’t say how much of these should be sugar, although if you are diabetic I guess you should try to make this as low as possible, as these will spike blood glucose.

I take it from the no deplume, that you have a fondness for fruit. As these tend to be quite high in carbs, you will need to limit consumption of these.

Initially though, just keep things as simple as possible – keep an eye on the calories and carbs, measure, weight and record both your own stats and everything you are consuming and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

• posted by fruitmonster
    on

Thanks for the advice. I definitely need to cut down on the fruit as I think this may be the main problem.Heres hoping success follows!!๐Ÿ‘

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Because I have been insulin resistant for 20+ years, I keep my daily carb intake very low, no more than 20 grams and often less than that. Out of those 20 grams, I like to keep the sugars extra low. The highest I’ve ever gone is 7 grams of sugar, all from vegetables and/or nuts. I eat no fruit, not even the lower carb fruits like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries, and the thought of eating a whole apple with its big carb load (25 grams carbs, 19 of them sugar for a very modest 182 gram apple) fills me with existential horror.

If you don’t have blood sugar issues, you can cut yourself more slack than I, but if you have ambitious weight loss goals, I think you need to confront your fruit monster head-on and make serious cuts in your intake. Start measuring and weighing everything so you know the reality of what you eat instead of relying on estimates or vague notions of what foods are “healthy” or “freebies.” Don’t be scared. You can get used to pretty much anything for 8 weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by fruitmonster
    on

This is giving me a huge wake up call on fruit so thank you so much for the advice.With the amount I’ve been consuming – cutting it out or atleast down should make a difference…. fingers crossed!!๐Ÿ‘

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good luck, fruitmonster, hope cutting down on fruit helps you get your carbs at the right level and will see you losing steadily. Keep us posted.

Please log in or register to post a reply.