Food Allergies and the blood sugar diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ju
    on

Hello
    I’m really wanting to try the blood sugar diet, but apprehensive because much of the foods that are recommended are foods that I am either allergic or intolerant to, such as eggs, and dairy, and also gluten. Unfortunately a diet like mine tends to focus on more refined grains, although I do eat plenty of nuts, chicken, fish, meat, veg etc. I’m really looking for advice on how to do the diet and still remain ‘healthy’ as I do not want to go short of vitamins and nutrients. Any advice for yoghurt/egg replacements in the menus, as these are also the things that make you feel full…?
    Many Thanks

• posted by Ella B
    on

Hello Ju,

I just found your question. I posted something about dairy. Although I am not allergic, I am pretty sensitive to dairy and I was told by a couple of fellow dieters that soy products as an alternative are fine (I have not tried to soy cheese yet but, somehow, matured cheeses like cheddar seem fine); I was also suggested to watch the sugar/carbs content and gluten in some of the soy products.

I heard of recipes for omelettes made with Gram Flour (made from chickpeas) but I have not tried it yet.

I hope you will have a go at the diet as, personally, I am finding great and in less than a week I have lost some pounds already.

All the best!

• posted by Ju
    on

Hi Ella

Thanks for your advice. I did notice some lovely looking coconut yoghurt online this week, not found a stockist near me just yet, but I’m certainly going to continue to investigate. Unfortunately I’m not great with gram flour either;/ but I’m sure with more research I can find a way to make it work for me.

Great to hear that you have had good results already in less than a week, very encouraging!

Best Wishes

Jules

• posted by malkay
    on

Hi Ju
    Coyo coconut yogurt is lovely, and Tesco sells it. A bit expensive, but a real treat.

• posted by Ju
    on

That’s the one I’m after!
    Looking forward to trying it, I will see if our Tesco stocks it, thank you!

• posted by Ella B
    on

Hello Jules,

Coconut yogurt sounds lovely, I will look for it too.

I am sorry to hear that Gram flour is not good either; my husband is the same, anything that has chickpeas would bother him. So, I am looking for an alternative legume or bean flour.

All the best,

• posted by tree-peony
    on

it is delicious, but a bit calorific at 183/100g ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Ju
    on

I actually found some at the weekend and had a little taste this morning! It is delicious, tastes very rich for someone who has not had dairy for 13 years now, so would only need a little at a time. It is pretty calorific, I think maybe 50g would be a good serving…

• posted by leelye
    on

Hi can anyone help me i have just read the BSD and are very excited to start but a have alot of allergies and intolerances eg:fruit,raw vegetables, all nuts except cashews ,gulten intolerant .thats the major ones .Can anyone help…

• posted by Matrika
    on

Leelye, it isn’t hard to substitute things you can eat..if you can’t eat raw veggies then eat cooked ones.

I am working with quite a few prohibitions too and it hasn’t been hard…you just work from what you can have, find recipes that fit, stick within the guidelines. If there is a recipe you like and it includes stuff you can’t eat leave it out.Thats what I am doing.

You can do it. There are apps on most mobile phones or as downloads that show you calorie counts and carb counts too…they make a huge difference.

Start from what you can do/can eat and work from there.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi leelye, I too am very gluten intolerant, you will already have had to negotiate a lot of changes in your diet so I am sure you will manage this too.

Cashews are a good nut to eat, so don’t worry about the ones you can’t tolerate.

Re raw veg, I think making and freezing portions of soup will be a good idea for you. A low carb, low calorie soup could be followed by a few nuts. I don’t know whether you can eat any kind of pulse or bean but you could always make a large pan of soup and add a can of beans to it before whizzing with a stick blender. If you tolerate cheese it is always a tasty addition to most soups.
    Hi Ju, it sounds as if you have similar problems to Leelye, if you can eat nuts I wouldn’t worry about eggs and dairy. What about avocado? if you can eat that it is full of healthy fats. Add plenty of olive oil to salads. I have a recipe in a Rose Elliot book for a simple soup made from onions and yellow split peas – after cooking you add a good drizzle of olive oil and mild raw onion to the bowl. If you can eat split peas I will post you the recipe.

Wishing you success, ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by leelye
    on

Thanks guys for your help it has motivated me even more ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.