First week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Devonport02
    on

Hello, 10 years a diabetic and started this as I have hit 110k.
    Has anyone felt their joints,, knees, easier to move after only a week? Or is that the power of the mind??
    I noticed when I woke today.
    Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Devonport02, some of it might be in the mind as you are feeling better now you have some control over your diet and condition. There is also the fact that certain foods can cause inflamation and I think carbs might be one of these. Lots of people on here have had unexplained benefits besides weight loss or better diabetic numbers. Whatever is causing it, keep going. Lets here more from you.

• posted by Squidge
    on

My husband used to get painful twinges in his knees which have eased since he joined me in this WOE. Not sure if it was the change of diet which helped, but it’s possible.

It’s also possible that you’re intolerant of one of the carby foods you’ve cut out and that was causing a bad reaction in your joints.

• posted by Devonport02
    on

Thanks, definitely easier to walk too, I am not familiar with the abbreviations yet but will learn.

on

WOE, way of eating

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Sugar is very inflammatory, you will certainly feel an anti-inflammatory benefit from this way of eating which will help your joint aches and pains hugely. There are so many benefits you wont have realised or anticipated – enjoy them all!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Devonport
    I used to get a lot of arthritic -like pain (never diagnosed) in my hands and wrists which went fairly quickly after I started BSD (don’t think it was the first week but definitely early on). Like WindyJulz I linked it to an anti-inflammatory effect with this way of eating. I cut sugar and carbs right down from the beginning and was super strict on BSD until one Sunday I had a big breakout – broke the diet completely. The next few days I experienced some of the worst pains I’d ever had in my hands. That’ll learn me.
    Generally, nowadays, it’s very rare for me to feel any aches and pains.
    Good luck with everything
    Jennie xx

• posted by Devonport02
    on

Thanks for all your support.
    Had my first hypo, 3.9 after a 40 minute walk, that will teach me to walk before I eat

on

Hi Devonport, sorry to hear that. I usually warn people that the reduction in BG can be rapid and you need to keep a close eye on your numbers, especially if you are on meds. Unfortunately I was concentrating on your knees.
    I am sure you knew what to do, always carry something with you, glucose sachet, sweets, nuts etc. Yes, time your exercise carefully. I swim in Summer and have to go in not long after eating – against what my mother would have told me – or make sure I have had a snack. Dont let this put you off, just dont be so strict on days when you feel it coming on. Do you get the signs i.e. numb lips, blurred vision etc. Also, what about meds, maybe you should have a chat with your doctor.

• posted by Devonport02
    on

Thank you Sunshine girl, I think a few nuts in a bag will be a good idea.
    I was only a few minutes from home, I felt my stride lessen and got dizzy, slowed right down.
    By the time I got home I was glad to steady myself on the kitchen worktop,
    My lunch was ready in a few minutes and felt better in about 39 minutes, but I did take the opportunity to lay on the sofa for a while.lol.
    I am on gliclaside and metformin so I should be wiser.
    Thanks for you comments
    D2

on

Devonport, the Metformin does very little but keep your BG steady, not good a reducing (honestly dont know why it is given) but the Glycacide can be quite potent. I was on 90mg (3 little pills) and noticed that I was getting very low in the afternoons even without exercise. After a bit of research I cut the Glyca down to 60mg and that is where it stays now. I know I am a bad patient but I didnt ask my doctor and when I told him he said he would rather I reduced my insulin but it doesnt work like that for me. I take the insulin at night so check my BG in the morning but sure it was the Glyca that gave me the dips in the afternoon. We get to know our own bodies and I am sure you know yours well.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Devonport
    Sorry to hear about the hypo.
    I’ve never been on meds (didn’t take Metformin – long story) so I’ve no direct experience unlike yourself and sunshine-girl. But just to add to what sunshine-girl says, in the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet book there’s a bit where it talks about being careful with the glucose-lowering drugs beginning with G like glibenclamide and gliclazide which may have to be stopped because they push your blood glucose abnormally low. (I haven’t done the Fast 800 diet but I imagine it might be similar). I’ve also heard similar cautions about gliclazide every now and again from people with Type II diabetes on the diabetes.co.uk forum.
    I don’t want to put you off doing the diet as the outcomes can be great, and as sunshine-girl says you know your body best, but it might be worth having that chat with your GP or a healthcare worker who can advise on the meds and monitor as you go.
    Take care
    Jennie xx

• posted by Devonport02
    on

Thank you,

Please log in or register to post a reply.