First salvo fired

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi folks, inka and I have been shocked at the overwhelmingly sweet taste of toothpaste and as suspected the 3 types i have just bought contain saccharine. I am writing to the manufacturers.

I do not choose to have saccharine in my diet, i know we don’t eat toothpaste but we must be ingesting some through saliva. I for one am sick of waking to the sickly sick taste.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

The marrch of the ‘anti-sugar army’ gathers pace ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Too true, Lynne, if we don’t make a noise who will? I’m not happy at the thought that big industries will get round the sugar tax by using saccharine. It’s possibly even worse than sugar!
    The sugar tax has come at a handy point for us to make a noise!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, I was reading a book on the train earlier. Basically it was about how we treat failure. It highlighted the aeronautical industry – who have procedures in place to learn from errors and improve safety. It also highlights the medical profession – which has a completely different system. It made me think of the situation we are in – not only with the medical professionals but also with the processed food producers (and those who add sugar to raw meat and poultry) and now companies like the toothpaste makers. To have to admit they got it wrong will not come easily.

We are in interesting times, there is so much in the media about low-carb so ‘they’ will have to listen eventually and start to make changes. All the evidence and results we are collecting on here is part of the battle.

Sorry, might be rambling – it’s been a long tiring day!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

You’re not rambling, lynne, you are making very important points – and you are pointing us all the way to go in terms of activism! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi all, I’ve been slowly learning how this new way of eating works and have been reading forum posts with interest. There are a lot of interesting and intelligent points being made.

When it comes to toothpaste I’m very tempted to start making my own, am generally trying to get rid of chemically based stuff in my life. I came across this post on the subject and hope it’s of interest

http://familysponge.com/health/coconut-oil/homemade-toothpaste-coconut-oil/

• posted by hashimoto
    on

That’s interesting but includes stevia – a sweetener!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, I meant to ask – what was the book called? I might order it for myself. Hope you are having lots and lots of fun with the girls!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Yes I was wondering that too Judith, it sounds like an interesting book. Never miss an excuse to read a new book ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Same here, Cherrianne ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith and Cherrianne. I saw the book at the railway station and it looked interesting. And was half price at WH Smith

It’s called “Black Box Thinking” by Matthew Syed. One of the comments on the cover says “An extraordinary, inspirational book which reveals how great performers and teams are driven by an insatiable curiosity for marginal gains, together with the intellectual courage to challenge their most cherished assumptions.”

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I’m ordering that ‘Black Box Thinking’ right now Lynne! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi hashimoto, I wouldn’t use the sweetener, think it’s optional and you can just experiment with the flavours generally.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi thepolly, yeh, the sweeteners are one of the reasons I don’t like the commercial ones. I’ve been pointed to some safe ones in health food shops, I will go with them. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.