Feijoas

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Are these too sweet or carby or are they OK?
    They aren’t tropical, as evidenced by the glut growing around here, but are they OK or in the too sugary category?

Online search says:
    Sugar 8/100 g
    est. 45-50 calories/100g

• posted by Switzerland
    on

G’day Hawks,

I can’t give you a definitive answer. To my knowledge feijoas are ?semi-tropical. The nutrition info I looked up is similar to yours:-

carbs 8/100g
    40 calories/100g

When I compared it to 100g apple carbs 11/100g 50 calories/100g.

• posted by Patsy
    on

I thought I was good on fruit and veg, but I’d never heard of this.

As apples are OK and the carbs seem to be lower than for apples, I imagine it would be OK to eat some of them.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Thanks Switzerland and Patsy. Looks like I can eat them but not in large quantities.
    Feijoas are very popular here as a fruit tree for the garden rather than as a bought fruit, possibly because they are very easy to grow, but don’t transport well? They can cope with -8 once established, and they can be grown as a hedge which works well in small gardens.
    They are very distinctive South American fruit with an unusual flavour. Highly scented, slightly grainy like a pear, but soft like a tamarillo.
    Ooh yum tamarillos. They check out well too at 3.8g carb/100g

Please log in or register to post a reply.