Feeling depressed one week into the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi,

I am one week into the bsd and I’ve been feeling really down and depressed over the last couple of days. .

Does anyone know if this is a normal feeling in the bsd, and has anyone experienced the same feeling?

Just wondering if this may be a symptom of ketosis?

I’ve noticed that I also barely have an appetite.

Any thoughts about this would be great.

• posted by Charliee
    on

You may need to take a multivitamin or tonic.. X

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha
    Michael mention it in the book. Like all the side effects, it should be just a few days.
    Penny

• posted by sap263
    on

Hi Natasha. I feel for you. I am feeling low too. Keep going and read the posts on slow weight loss they have helped me abit x

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

Drink plenty of water, don’t forget to eat what you’re supposed to, even if you don’t feel hungry, and – yes – keep reading the posts. It will pass, I’m sure 🙂

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi everyone and thank you for your advice, really helpful.

I’m finding my low mood is lingering a bit but I’m feeling a bit more ‘back in my body’ which is a huge relief.

Charliee – The multivitamin is a great idea.

Pat.Unlimited – I’m definitely drinking over 2 litres of water a day, but I’m sometimes skipping a meal – purely because I have not got an appetite. I won’t do this again.

Thank you pmshrink, I hope it will subside soon.

Pat263 – sorry to hear you are also feeling low. Do you think it’s a carb withdrawal side effect?
    I was completely addicted for years before I did the bsd. Even when I did the Rosemary Conley GI Jeans diet and lost 4 stone, the diet allowed a limitation of crisps, sweets and carbs. So I was still getting my ‘fix.’

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha
    I’ve just been reading Jenny Ruhls book ‘low carb problems solved’. She says low mood can happen as your body switches from carb burning to fat burning and will resolve itself as fat burning gets going. Hopefully you ll feel better soon.
    One danger is we eat a bit more carbs because we re low and this switches us back to carb burning and prolongs the problem.
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

Once again Penny talks sense. Just read the book myself and it has answered a few questions i’d had.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Penny – thank you! This seems to be just what has happened! I felt weird snd disassociated for several days and now I can feel myself and my mood levelling out.

Thankfully I wasn’t tempted to a carb binge. In fact, I completely lost my appetite – which I think was better than craving carbs because a blow out Iit can really knock you off track.

I will have been on the bsd for 2 weeks on Monday and have lost 10lbs. This alone has boosted my mood!

Thank you for the book recommendation , I will definitely look into it.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Also – thank you for your support! I hope the bsd is going great for you too!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Thanks spirit☺️

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha
    Glad yr feeling better.
    I’m a slow loser but my waist has shrunk 4″ in 19 days so I’m pleased as punch. Also sleeping a lot better
    Penny

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Thank you 😊

Brilliant! 4 inches is loads!

WELL DONE!!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

☺️

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hi Natasha,
    How are you feeling today? Hopefully your body has kicked in to it’s normal self again 🙂 One thing to maybe take a look at is whether you are eating enough fat – I felt really weird for a time, but I don’t think I was getting enough fat which I’ve changed to now around 40g a day – that definitely helped 🙂
    Keep going! Everyone is doing fantastically xx

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I am now starting week 2 and also don’t have much appetite. I seldom finish the recommended portions. I knew I wasn’t drinking enough so I’ve rectified that and the headaches have gone but I have a really strong sugar craving today for the first time. Any advice to get me through week 2?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Scothran
    Have a look at the book I came across.
    Jenny Ruhls book ‘low carb problems solved’.
    Penny

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hi Scotgran,
    Do you like dark chocolate? I had a little bit over the weekend as I was really craving some sugar & it did the trick. The green and blacks lemon flavour is lovely 🙂 x

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi Lolo,

Thank you for your reply.

I’m actually feeling ok now. I have been on the diet for just over 2 weeks and I feel like my body has really settled into it. I felt so horribly weird for the first week-and-a-half – disassociated, light-headed, dizzy, irritable and depressed, but now I am really starting to feel the amazing effects of not having sugar, and i’m not craving it at all.

One question – I have been enjoying the sirloin steak meal (one of my favourites so far), and have been cutting off the fat before I cook it as it’s a huge wedge. You mentioned about eating fat, and I was wondering whether you recommend that I keep (some of) the fat on the steak rather than remove it?

Thank you for your advice and encouragement! How long have you been on the BSD and are you noticing big differences?

And WELL DONE EVERYBODY!
    I love how we are all in this together!

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi Scotgran,

How are you doing?

Yes, I went through quite a few days of not feeling hungry at all and even skipped a couple of meals because I felt so un-hungry. This was when I was feeling at my worst (so far).

Do you think not finishing the portions might be triggering sugar cravings?

I have sugar-free fruit-flavoured chewing gum close by which is nice in the evenings and is a nice, flavourful ‘dessert’! I read in the book that chewing gum helps curb sugar cravings.

I also have a large glass of cold water as often as possible, and this seems to be helping as I have not yet had any sugar cravings – and I have been a lifelong sugar addict.

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi again Lolo,

The only thing I would be worried about with chocolate is that it might set me right back on the sugar track.

I have a history of sticking to diets like glue, believing that I have my chocolate addiction totally sussed and under control, and eating one tiny square…. and then another, and then another (etc etc etc) and not being able to stop until the entire bar has been eaten.

I’m a ‘compulsive eater’ and this has been the hardest thing for me to overcome. It’s almost like having a blackout when I eat chocolate or sweets.

I know dark chocolate is extremely good for you and I was wondering if you had any advice for being able to just have a couple of squares, and then no more.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha
    I think keep some of the fat on. We ve been so brain washed to not eat it but now we know it’s sugar not fat that messes us up.
    It stops you getting hungry
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natasha – re chocolate-
    If you know you might do that maybe it’s it worth the risk!
    Penny

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hey Penny,

Thanks for the reminder about fat, you are spot on. I will take heed.

And you are also spot on about the chocolate, so thank you again 🙂

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hi Natasha,
    Sorry for the delayed reply! Glad to hear you’re feeling better and it sounds like your body has adjusted to your new eating habits – which is fab! I’d definitely keep some of the fat on your steak, it’s great fuel for your body 😉

Also that ‘chocolate’ thing – I know exactly what you mean about being tempted to eat ‘just one more square!’ 😉 I actually only buy dark chocolate at 85% cocoa or more now. It’s really low in sugar content, but still tastes yummy. When I get back from doing the shopping I immediately separate it out into portion sizes (6 small square for green and blacks) & then wrap them up individually. This works for me – but if you think you might fall off the chocolate wagon, then I’d follow Penny’s advice and think whether it’s worth the risk.

How is everyone doing? I’m just starting week 4 today, and my weight loss stalled a little last week – just 2lb down, so 9 in total. I was feeling a little deflated this morning – but had a read on the forums and feeling better now. Hopefully it’ll kick back in this week 🙂

Having some amazing food on this diet – if you haven’t yet bought a spiralizer – DO! They’re fab, I spiralized some sweet potato yesterday and roasted it in the oven with some goose fat. A-Mazing! Super tasty, I think I might try the same with courgette tonight!

Have a fab week all xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.