February 2020 : ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 25th February 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Wow! Am so impressed with all this good news. You are all so inspiring. I’m really struggling tonight. Absolutely desperate for something sweet. Had a tiny bit of a Green and Blacks chocolate and that’s bumped my calories up to 929 today. I’ve had a shower, I’ve done some jobs, but all I can think about is eating something sweet. Any tips for cravings?

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

It’s hard yakka RR when the munchies take hold. You are doing all of the right things to push through. Water tends to do it for me now but if you have succumbed, the important thing is to know is that this is not a weakness. What helped me most was researching why we get these overwhelming urges, what actually drives them. It’s down to the insulin response and those damned carbs wreaking havoc over the years. Ride out what you can, eat something like a piece of cheese or a spoonful of Greek yoghurt and see how that helps. Most of all, cut yourself some slack and know that over time and with knowledge you’ll come out on top. Hold on to your ‘why’. Who was it that advised that recently? It helped me so much.
    Good luck, Kim

• posted by Bryla
    on

Kim is right, RR. Don’t waste energy giving yourself a hard time. You’re doing brilliantly! I also find it helpful to remember that my cravings do pass if I resist them for long enough. For me, it’s been better to resist if I possibly can, but occasionally I’ve had a cup of fruit tea when I’ve felt desperate for some sweetness (from a tea bag, so 2cals, not the sugary granule stuff). I now find it incredibly sweet and it really does the job for me, but it might not be okay for everyone if it means your brain and body then expect more. A bit of cheese or full fat yoghurt are great too, as Kim says. I reckon sometimes I assume I want sugar (a lifetime of conditioning) when actually some healthy fat is really what my body wants.
    Looking forward to picking up some new bras today after tolerating a drawerful that were neither use or ornament for a few weeks. Hooray! Have also been quite enjoying hunting out a few 2nd hand eBay bargains to build a new wardrobe and I’ve always loathed clothes shopping. Not going overboard, since I know (or certainly hope) my shape might change a bit more over the next 8lb of discard. That spare tire just has to give in eventually, but wow it’s stubborn!
    Hope everyone is having a decent weekend and looking after themselves.

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Im here!!
    A very tough week with my friends funeral and ongoing issues with divorce and settlement this week and it pains me to say i have been so off plan its been mentally quite damaging for me..
    A new week tomorrow and i need to refocus and put things behind me. My confidence and body image is at the lowest its been for 3 years and i cant go on like this..
    I will keep in touch this week and hope u are all ok xx xx

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Hi all!

I’m still around, although I’m not posting much due to some back and neck problems.

Tomorrow is my last day of week 8! As I’ve written before, I will continue with 800 and 16:8 for at least another couple of weeks. I’m not 100% strict all the time. A couple of times per week I have a little more calories or carbs, but not tons more. It works. I don’t seem to be very sensitive to carbs. I’ve lost weight and centimeters, but still have a little more to lose, especially around my waist.

About sweet cravings – I rarely have them nowadays, but when I do I usually try to wait and drink water. If it doesn’t go away I might have 5-10 gram of 85% dark chocolate. Eat it slowly, mindfully.

I sometimes have another kind of cravings – more like energy dips. Then my favourite remedy is 5-10 gram crunchy peanut butter with salt. (Check the label – it should be only peanuts and salt in it, nothing else!)

I hope to see you all on the next weekly thread! KOKO!

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Angelsand and anyone else struggling to stay on track – I feel for you! It’s not easy when you have such a tough time in life!
    Don’t be hard on yourself. We all fall off the wagon from time to time, but it’s the long run that counts.
    As you said, Angelsand, tomorrow is a new week!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sunnyside, seems you have a really good handle on how your body behaves and how to manage cravings most effectively. Congrats on getting to the end if week eight and I’m sure you will see good things happening as you continue.

Angelsand, please be gentle with yourself. You have had a punishing time, so allow yourself a little latitude. For now why not just avpid all the high carb stuff and just concentrate on eating well? There is no need to immediately put additional pressure on yourself by weighing, measuring and recording everything. Providing you keep the high carb stuff at bay, you are likely to see the pounds start to fall. Take care … big hugs.

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Thank u xx im actually really terrified to get weighed in the morning but feel like i should xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. I have had a busy weekend child minding, homework help etc. I went out for the first time in 10 days as I needed to see how I would cope. I am still a bit sore walking around but I have another week before I have to face 3 flights of stairs and a classroom full of teenagers !
    I really feel for those who are struggling right now and the advice already given is very wise. I haven’t got any magic solutions but it is really important to keep an eye on the long term benefits. Don’t think that because you are having a hard time right now and giving in to comforting temptations, that you have completely lost your way. We all cope differently , have our own personal and health issues which can knock us off track at vulnerable moments but believe in your own strengths. Make the changes which are manageable right now until you feel you can cope with greater challenges.

We keep saying it but this is not a quick fix.The ultimate objective is modifying our relationship with food and establishing healthy ways of eating which are sustainable. That might involve a few twists and turns along the way but it does get easier.
    Yes, definitely hold on to your WHY, even if it’s hard to focus right now.
    Thinking of you Angelsand . You don’t need any more pressure right now. Just do what you can. We are here to lift you and keep you going.
    Amz, take it easy too . Check in when you can and I hope everything is going well for you at the moment.
    Lots of love to everyone. Noone is perfect. Noone gets it right all the time. Don’t feel bad if you are not able to follow the program to the letter all the time. Get back as soon as you can . You are doing this for you, your health and that is the kindest thing you can do for yourself.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Angelsand !! Don’t be controlled by the scales ! If you are terrified, then why put yourself through another demoralising moment ??

Weigh in can wait if there is a danger it will make you feel bad about yourself. You have had a tough enough time already.

If you do decide to weigh , then tell yourself that number is not your final destination. Move on and believe in yourself to get where you want to be . Think how you are likely to feel after you step on the scales. in the morning.

Whatever you decide we will be here xx

• posted by SineadinCH
    on

End of week two for me and I have lost another 3.5lbs so 10 in total and I am delighted. I have found this week trickier as I haven’t been so inventive in my cooking so I’m going to go back to trying more new recipes and freezing portions rather than having broccoli and blue cheese soup for 4 days! Do we move over to the March thread now? I don’t post on this thread very much but I read it everyday and it has been so helpful and inspiring so thank you everyone for your honesty and openness.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi SineadinCH
    Well done on your progress ! Yes you are right to vary your meals so you don’t get bored. I don’t over complicate things too much but I get inspiration frm the http://www.dietdoctor.com website as they have lots of low carb ideas. I also like Jamie Oliver’s 5 Ingredients which I adapt if he includes pasta or rice. I don’t try too many low carb alternatives to bread, pastries etc

There is a recipe section on the forum too.

I will set up a new weeekly thread later to run until 10th March but there is also a monthly thread you can join called Motivated and Measured in March if you prefer.

All the very best !

• posted by Zanna
    on

End of week 1 and 4.5 k down 😊

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Russianroulade.
    Just another idea on the fruit teabag suggestions. I use the fruit tea bags soaked in a glass of plain soda water for a few minutes, then enjoy the bubbles with a touch of sweetness. I like the berry flavoured teas, the ones I use are sweetener and sugar free.
    Merry

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I am among those that have been struggling this week. I haven’t been able to get back to fasting after my appointment. So yesterday I did a modified fat fast with eggs, avocados, olives, broccoli and salad greens. So far today I am fasting again. Will see how long I can go. If it is only 24 hours that will be more than I managed last week.
    MerryMelba, great idea about putting a tea bag into sparkling water. I will have to try it.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Time to set up the new weekly thread my friends !

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s ready ………….One week at a time beginning 3rd March 2020

See you over there xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.