Fasting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Kazz, I think we’re similar in that we’ve enjoyed our fasts a great deal from the beginning, so I hope you’ll find it as invigorating experience as I did. Have a great five days!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thanks Esnecca… I’m looking forward to doing this and really hope I can get to the end of the week! Apart from the health benefits, think of the saved money and no supermarket temptations which is a problem for me!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Escnecca, glad to hear your week long fast went so well. Did you have any GI issues with it? I find I get an unwelcome flush between 3 & 4 days….so have not gone past 4 1/2 at this point. Am doing a 200 – 300 calorie low carb “semi fast” for 3 days with under 5 carbs to see how that goes (psyllium “bread” being a component, and so far no GI issues).

For me it is a great restart button. When I find myself having a couple of days feeling abnormally hungry, a fast or near fasts seems to resolve that.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Kazz, I loved not having to spend a second thinking about food shopping, prep or cooking for a whole week. It was better than being on vacation, because when you’re on vacation you spend ages negotiating over what to eat when and with whom.

LTC, I had no GI issues whatsoever. No cramping, no loose stools, no nothing. I had a single entirely normal BM on Wednesday and the rest was silence. On shorter fasts I have experienced some flushing on day 3 or 4 as all the water/coffee finds an alternative route out of me, but it didn’t bother me in the least. It just seems like a natural consequence of the lack of solid food. I was amazed during the week fast that the pattern was so different.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Really great idea, to revive this thread, Flick! Thank you.

Luv, I’m extremely curious about this protocol that you are
    following, when you begin to feel too hungry. Is it of your
    own devising? Could you be more specific about what you
    eat and when? Thanks!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, new “custom protocol” for me, is Day 1 had only water until 6 – 8 pm and then had a cup of decaf coffee with some cream. Day 2 had nothing but water until noon and really felt empty, so did a 60 calorie . < 1 g carb slice of psyllium/flax/almond meal bread toasted with a scrambled egg on it (75 cal for egg, 25 cal for butter….total of about 100 cal plus the 75 for the egg). Lots and lots of water per usual. Repeated that around 7 pm. So 350 cal for the day. Today coffee with cream for breakfast (100 cal no carb), stir fried some baby bok choy for lunch…oil/garlic/ bok chow. So about 100 cal for 1 Tbs oil, 20 for the bok choy and a 2-3 carbs or the bok choy and garlic. Will probably just have a piece of toast and hot decaf coffee or tea around dinner time. Having something….and I think the psyllium toast is best…..has avoided the loose stool I have had around Day 3 before. On prior fasts did only broth, and tried one with kefir 2x a day. The psyllium toast seems to work the best.

Nothing fancy…..just very low cal and carbs, and lots of water. But now doing some food vs nothing. May give just water another shot at some point but goal for me right now is the weight loss and mixing up my routine so my body doesn’t get too locked into a really fixed schedule. Has started to find myself wanting some nuts or something after dinner and I want to get away from that and return to just 2 meals a day, which had satisfied me quite a stretch on BSD. Find myself drifting a bit and need to get back to a tighter plan.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Ugh….just seeing some of the auto corrections of my post. A bit annoying at times…..makes you look downright illiterate.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Luv, I hope that you’ll report back on the outcome of your experiments.
    I haven’t regained any weight, but with the increased calories I do
    seem to feel hungrier in between meals, and I’m wondering if tailoring
    a severely reduced calorie plan like yours might have benefits too?,
    Over the weekend on the maintainers thread I admitted to feeling
    bad that I couldn’t complete a fast, and as only the ladies on the
    forum can do, I received beautiful messages and thoughts to lift
    me back up. I see your plan as a mini trial for the big event, so
    please keep in touch 🙂 Departure to P-burgh is loaming large
    on the horizon – safe trip! Check in when you can 🙂

xoxo

• posted by EC
    on

Hi everyone
    Allie (hi to you here!) a mate from another thread suggested I look at this forum as I’d posted a link to a new film that’s just been released on the benefits (and also the risks) of fasting. http://www.fastingmovie.com …its app $6 au to rent for 24 hours or $15 to buy

They interview and showcase several practitioners, including Fung and also Valter Longo whose protocols from “The Longevity Diet” I’m currently trialing…which to some extent, you seem to be chancing on, luvtcook as it involves involves some food.The prolon or LNutra comes as a kit though…its not cheap but its 5 days either monthly or 3-6 monthly depending on your health requirements. My doctor has offered to do bloods before and after to see if a lot of my health parameters have shifted…including inflammatory markers, lipids and immune markers.
    I did a ten day water fast when I was in my late teens, but for years after that always seemed to be pregnant, breastfeeding, working (lots) or studying. I’m still working, but trying to make time to be able to put health first….

Lovetcook…I would love your “bread” recipe for when I am eating real food again though!!…I’m pretty happy on BSD food, but I do miss a “bread” to smear my home made pesto and kasundi on!!
    thanks for the great discussion all

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi EC, another very interesting approach to fasting. Thanks for the links to extra resources from you and thanks also Esnecca, I’ll watch them both over the next few days. I am really interested in the boost to HGH longer fasts achieve. I’m not sure whether I’m up to a extended fast beyond 60-72 hours. Hopefully once I’ve settled into maintenance for a couple of months I’ll be ready for that challenge.

Despite the fact I adore food and quite like cooking, I also enjoyed having a two day break from it on my 60 hour fast. No GI probs for me although I did pass some particularly stinky wind much to my dog’s distress! TMI? 🤔

In addition to protecting metabolism, my main fasting goal just at the moment is jolting my system back into giving up some weight. After a bit of bouncing around and 5 days back to eating 800/20 16/8 my weight seems to have stabilised at a post fast loss of 2 kg. This is quite remarkable given the stage I’m up to and that my weight loss had slowed and stalled terribly. So yippee for that.

I’m now up to day 2 of another 60 hours – I plan another one next week as well. I’ll eat again tomorrow lunch but have some lovely homemade chicken stock in the fridge that I might heat up and sip on this evening if needs be. I did this last week and it is remarkably soothing. The steam and aroma almost as wonderful as the taste.

I’m off to weekly update my recording page and then a bit of research on FMD – I haven’t come across that at all yet and it might be a good strategy to add to the reverse dieting I’m staring down the barrel at. All the best Luvtcook!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Okay here’s a crazy one. I can read smaller print better. I’ve had reading glasses since I turned 40. I just now noticed that over the past three days I haven’t worn them once which is weird because reaching for them is an automatic thing at this point. I just haven’t needed them because I haven’t been straining to read at all. Freaky.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Esnecca, I am on a Facebook keto group (obviously very low-carb) and several people on there have commented on improved eyesight. If low-carb really can do that, it’s even more amazing.
    SSB

• posted by JGwen
    on

I was wondering if those of you who have been researching fasting have come across anything about it resetting the numbers of cals your body burns when resting. Having had periods of dieting always cal controlled not carb limited for decades I now realise I have probably reduced my base metabolic rate. The videos I have watched on fasting talk about this effect of cal counting and why fasting is better but I don’t recall any mention of research into raising BMR after cal counting.

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi JGwen,

I’ve read Jason Fung and he talks about resetting your normal weight rather than your BMR but I guess they probably relate, I’m not sure. It is this resetting that he says is why LCHF and fasting work long term when other only work short term. It’s all about insulin and he seems to say that LCHF works on its own but fasting helps it along if you can do it.

I’m going to do lunch today until supper tomorrow. So that will be about 30 hours. I’ll probably do one other 24 this week, and carry on with the 17/7 that I do every day. I’ve still got work to do knowing what is best for my body,

• posted by Flick
    on

Esnecca I recall either reading about improved eyesight or it is mentioned in one of the interviews. I wonder what is going on there and if it will be a lasting change?

Gwen, Jason Fung covers this in one of the six aetiology of obesity youtubes. I’m not sure which one. It starts as explaining why over time calorie restriction stops working, goes on to look at biggest loser contestants and then he shows some research results of a study that compared metabolic impacts of restricted calorie diets and intermittent fasting. If I remember correctly it’s quite startling.

• posted by Flick
    on

JGwen, here is a link to avery broad overview paper, but it has links to supporting research papers. I haven’t cross checked with the Fung videos which of these are the same.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-metabolism#section4

Importantly towards the end it concludes there are no (at the time of writing that paper) research studies on long term effects. I’ve found that in my reading as well. Evidence of benefits during the study period but very hard to judge how long those benefits last. For example, how long before HGH levels return to normal? As for protecting metabolism, I’ve taken the approach that fasting will help while I’m calorie restricting, but not necessarily but probably requires regular IF for as long as calories are very low.

• posted by Flick
    on

Sorry, missed some words should have read ‘but not necessarily providing long term support after a one off fast’

☺️

• posted by JGwen
    on

Thanks for that link Flick,

I knew that the people on greatest looser had regained their weight and that they had a reduced metabolic rate afterwards but didn’t realise it was 6 years after their diet that the research was carried out.

I started following some of the links to other associated research from other links. (weather forecast was wrong, and its started snowing here so think I am going to be snowed in for the next few days) I thought this one was interesting. :-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096

So 6 months of eating enough calories to maintain weight either in the format of 3 meals a day or 1 meal a day and there were noticeable differences in levels of fat in body, and cortisol – which may indicate this is a way of returning from IR. But also increased blood pressure so maybe not for everyone.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Everyone! I’m glued to this thread like a hopeless junkie.
    All of the benefits being reported here are so uplifting 🙂
    My entry into the fray may follow LTC’s approach…I’m still
    thinking on it. For those of you that have successfully fasted,
    what is it like when you have to prepare 3 meals a day for
    the family when not eating yourself? Members of our community
    often speak in terms of hunger pangs waxing and waning…?
    Fascinating about the improved eyesight, Essie. I’m always
    misplacing my glasses, and unfortunately need them to find
    them! In high school I was too vain to wear glasses except in
    class, so earned the reputation of a snob model who didn’t
    acknowledge friends in the hallways. Not in the least true..
    I couldn’t see anyone!
    Have a successful fast, everyone!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

EC, these are my three “go to” low carb breads.

The first has lots of psyllium in it which makes it great to help with regularity….and it toasts brilliantly (thick slices do well in toaster, thinner ones lightly buttered and browned in a skillet). I usually cut in half and freeze half (freezes well).

The second is easier to make, and can be baked in one loaf as focaccia or as 4 Enlish Muffins/ Hamburger buns.

The 3rd is a microwave bun that serves one…..need a ramakin or a coffee mug to make it.

The recipe calls for baking in a bread pan. I have not had much luck with it that way….bottom is always compacted and heavy. Get better results baking in pan-less like Italian bread…..just plop the whole thing on a baking tray (with silpat or parchment paper) formed into a long 12 inch loaf.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/the-best-psyllium-flax-bread/

THE BEST PSYLLIUM FLAX BREAD

Author: lowcarbmaven.com

This is the best psyllium-flax bread I have had. At 3 net carbs per slice, enjoy that sandwich!

INGREDIENTS

10 ounces Almond Flour (very finely ground)
    3 ounces Ground Golden Flax Seed finely ground
    100 grams NOW Psyllium Husk Powder (about 3.5 oz) finely ground in spice mill/coffee grinder
    1½ tablespoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces egg whites (can be from carton)
    3 ounces vinegar (cider or white )
    14 ounces boiling water…..* LTC I like 11 oz better

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 8×4 inch metal loaf pan with baking spray. LTC: I use just a sheet pan

Heat a kettle of water to a boil and keep it simmering gently.

Grind the golden flax meal and psyllium in a coffee grinder to make sure both are very fine.

Mix the dry ingredients. Blend very well before adding the liquid.

In a second bowl add the 8 ounces of egg whites and the vinegar.

Pour the egg white mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix at a high speed until just combined. (The mixture will begin to expand a bit.) It should only take 10 seconds. DO NOT OVER MIX.

To this mixture add the 14 ounces of hot water. Pour the hot water around the bowl (don’t just dump it into the middle) and again, mix quickly at high speed, just until incorporated 10-15 seconds.

Remove the dough with your hands, (it will be cool) and ever-so-slightly and gently, roughly shape it into a long 12 inch loaf shape on the sheet pan. Don’t over work it….just plop it on and nudge it into shape.

Bake for 80-90 minutes, depending on your oven. Depending on your oven, it may need a little more time. It is done when the internal temperature is 215-220 degrees F.

When it is done, turn off oven and remove bread from pan and return bread to oven to sit straigh on the oven rack so the bottom stays crisp while it cools down along with the oven.

Don’t cut the bread until it is almost completely cool.

NOTES

Nutrition Facts
    The Best Low Carb Keto Psyllium-Flax Bread
    Amount Per Serving (1 thick slice 2 oz.)

Calories 127 Calories from Fat 81
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 9g 14%
    Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 7g 28%
    Protein 5g 10%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

This one much softer and fluffier and much easier to make. I either put the whole thing in a small greased 8 inch skillet and bake as focaccia, or put in English Muffin rounds to eat that way or as a burger bun.

Hemp Seed Buns

Just like that multigrain bread with the seeds in it! Feel free to adjust the seeds to your preference.

Serves: 4

Ingredients

¾ cup almond flour
    2 Tbsp ground flax seeds (golden)
    2 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
    1 Tbsp hemp hearts
    1 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt

2 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin, or light)
    2 eggs
    ½ cup full fat yogurt

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 °F.

Mix almond flour, seeds, psyllium, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.

Add eggs, olive oil, and yogurt and mix it well.

Let it sit for 5 minutes.

Use English Muffin rings to keep dough from spreading too much. Grease rings and set on silicone mat line baking pan.

Divide rested dough between the 4 rings. Add sesame seeds if desired.

Bake for approximately 21-23 minutes until browned .

Approximately, per bun – 309 calories, 8.66 carbs (4.6 are fiber, so NET CARBS are actually 4), 9.4g protein, , 26g fat, 126mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 68mg potassium

1103 CAL AND 27 CARBS FOR ENTIRE BATCH

If bake as a whole foacaccia, for 6 wedges this would be: 183 cal and 4.5 net carbs

Easy Breakfast Bun for One

A healthy, low-carb breakfast biscuit. Oh so good. Serves 1.

1 1/2 TBS golden flaxseed meal (finely ground)
    1 TBS coconut flour
    ¼ tsp ground psyllium husk powder (try 1/2 tsp)
    1 pinch salt
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. butter, best if cold…can grate cold butter on rasp grater
    1 large egg, very well beaten

Beat egg very well until no steaks for white remain.

Add dry ingredients and stir well.

Using a small grater, grate butter into mixture and stir just to mix (can also simply finely chop/dice butter and add).

Spoon into a well greased 4-inch ramekin (or a flat bottomed coffee cup).

Microwave for about 55 – 60 seconds.

Turn out and let partially cool on a rack before slicing open (I use my oven rack if oven is cold).

Split in half with a serrated knife. Toast if desired (toasts well).

Cal 178, 1.4 net carbs 46% fat

Hope these work for you. LTC

• posted by treelady
    on

Hi Luvtcook,
    just tried your easy breakfast bun for one – fantastic recipe. Really hit the spot for something ‘breadlike’ to have as a sandwich for lunch. But very filling, so next time I will freeze half for the following day. Should be able to feed this to my OH as well without him noticing it being to different from his gluten free bread he sometimes eats.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

LTC, have you ever tried replacing the hemp hearts with finely ground whole hemp seeds? I love the added fiber of the whole seed, but the texture is quite different from the fluffy, fleshy hearts. I’m not sure they’re interchangeable.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Allie, I don’t think my experiences of extended fasts would be enjoyable if I were locked into having prepare three squares a day for other people to snarf down while I’m outside with my nose pressed against the glass. What I usually do for the boy is batch cook ahead of time, so I make his lunches for the whole week the weekend before I start a fast, usually the turkey chili or braised chicken and greens, something slow-cookery that makes a lot of servings at once that he can microwave or eat at room temp at work. Then for dinners I scare up a soup, divide it into portions and freeze. That’s easily refreshed and varied for dinner with the addition of different veggies, some miso or kimchi, something like that. I also often make the egg and cauli muffins or a large frittata so he can have breakfast for dinner, one of his favorite things. He’ll brown some sausage or have it with smoked salmon salad on the side to keep things interesting.

Speaking of whom, OH is now fully into a 16:8 pattern. He no longer has a late breakfast at 10; he rides out any hunger until at least noon and just has lunch. Dinner he eats when he gets home (usually around 6:30), and that’s it. No 9PM peanut butter and banana snack. No white-knuckle wait to break the morning fast. He is completely in command of his hunger impulse for the first time in his life. I have known him since September of 1990 and this is a total 180 for him. I’m so amazed by his newfound power.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, E., I can so relate to the image of a poor waif with their nose
    pressed up against the glass! Those are great suggestions for
    keeping food preparation to a minimum. Freezer is always
    loaded with batched chili, thanks to you/Eden Foods. Please
    tell the great one, B., that I’m standing up and sending him a
    full military salute. Still looking forward to the day when we
    can deliver our accolades to both of you in person 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi – I seem to be coming somewhat late to this particular fasting party, but it seems very informative, so thank you for all the links.

As you know, I am a confirmed fasting fan, though only 72 hours to date, and probably won’t attempt anything longer, as o/h would probably send me to the “funny farm” – but who knows?

I have spent the past year feeding o/h, family and friends huge filling meals, whilst I eat something smaller and lighter, and obviously low carb, so when I fast I don’t actually find cooking any more taxing than usual – it just means that I only have to prepare one option instead of two.

Flick, thank you for reviving this thread. You asked for other people’s fasting stories so here is mine…………

I have been a fan of fasting way before it became “fashionable” although other people thought I was mad! I had never in my life had weight problems, other than perhaps being a tad too thin – but hey, it was the 60s and thin was seen as good. After both my 1st and my 2nd child were born (#2 now 45) my weight returned to the 7st 7lbs it had always been almost immediately (and I mean days, not weeks). Then, when 2nd baby turned one, o/h was posted away to work whilst I was left at home literally “holding the babies” for a year. I didn’t bother cooking properly for myself, but lived on snacks and children’s leftovers, often grazing in the evening when the babies were in bed, purely out of boredom / loneliness, the weight piled on and, before I knew it, I weighed in at 9st 7lbs – sounds light now, but at the time I thought I was HUGE! When I married, I had always said that every year on our anniversary, I would try my wedding dress on to check that it still fitted, and suddenly it DIDN’T!!! Shock, horror!!! I dieted for the first time in my life and got down to 8st quite quickly and stopped there because, at 7st 7lbs I had always been a little on the thin side, and o/h said I looked better at 8st. I maintained 8st for the next 5 years by the simple expedient of fasting from Sunday evening until Tuesday breakfast. I found it simple, it worked and quickly became a habit which all my friends and family quickly grew to accept. The rest of the time I ate more or less whatever I liked / fancied – my own early version of 5:2, except it was 6:1. I only stopped fasting once a week when, 5 years later, I discovered I was pregnant with my 3rd child and felt that fasting probably wasn’t ideal when carrying a baby. After he was born, I breastfed for almost 2 years, so still didn’t fast. After that I’d just kind of got out of the habit, I guess, and I never started fasting again. Looking back, of course, I should have done, because the weight started piling on again, particularly as our business meant an awful lot of socialising (err – read far too much food and alcohol😋) quite often at both lunch and dinner!

Roll on 38 years, my weight had ballooned and finally decided I had to do something about it once and for all. I discovered BSD800, lost 20kg in 16 weeks, and I decided that fasting would definitely be in my maintenance arsenal, although I certainly didn’t use it during the 16 weeks it took me to get to target. I now fast on most Mondays (although not all – depends on my weight that morning, because fasting tends to result in rather large losses for me) and again weigh in at 8st. I occasionally fast for longer, purely for health benefits – between 48 and 72 hours, and actively enjoy the experience. On our wedding anniversary last Autumn, and 5 months into maintenance, I tried my wedding dress on for the first time in 43 years and it fitted me as well as on our wedding day, 48 years earlier.

Since embarking on the BSD way of life I have, of course, learned so much about fasting and it’s health benefits, none of which I had any idea about when I was young, so for me personally, fasting is GO – an absolute no-brainer! But I totally accept that it is not for everyone, and we must all find our own way and, if we are to maintain our losses, we must all be totally comfortable in the way we choose.

Sorry to be a bit long-winded, and here’s to success whichever path we choose.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Theo! I take great delight in learning the life stories
    of special friends on these boards. We all have a story to tell,
    and you’ve just filled yours in with with beautiful pastels. No
    wonder that you’re free from the loose skin challenge! I
    continue to marvel at my ability to execute planks! Hopefully
    I will begin to experience some benefit from their execution
    in the near future 🙂 If not, I will continue to be grateful for
    the forgiving nature of leggings to compress the jiggly bits 🙂
    I’m moving ever closer to some form of fasting, too!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thanks Allie – well done on the planks. I stand in awe that you even attempted them, let alone succeeded! Next to you I feel totally inadequate that the only exercise I undertake is walking – lots of it but it’s still only walking 😠

I failed to mention, despite my long-winded post above, that I have practised 16:8 for years as I just don’t enjoy eating when I first get up, and also that I lost another unintentional 3kg in maintenance but now, thank goodness, seem to be stable.

Allie my friend, fast by all means if you feel you really want to, but please don’t feel pressurised into it. You have totally taken control over your and your bearded one’s health already and proven that fasting is not necessary to be in control. As I said above, we must all choose our own paths. Xx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello everyone and thank you for so much advice and information on fasting. I first began 17:7 and then moved to 24 hour fasting. Which I find so easy. I have just completed my first 48 hour fast. I have cleaned the house! I am not a domestic person (apart from cooking and sewing which I enjoy….hate cleaning). I just found that I had enough energy and wanted to work it off.

Yesterday we went out to a pub quiz, which was our first social outing for many months. I drank water and refused the sandwiches and crisps which were given out at half time. Feeling a bit smug about that. Our friend kept telling me how good I look and remarked that I look younger than he has ever known me. Went home on a high. I am going to break my fast with roast chicken and vegetables in about 40 minutes. I did find that I have noticed food more. How many adverts are for “bad” food?

Fingers crossed this will shove my weight below 15 stone 2 pounds, which I have plateaued at for 5 weeks. I am definitely going to do this again as I feel so good.

Have a good evening everyone.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

A small addendum to the above. The fasting has set off my IBS…so apart from frequent trips to the loo….I still feel great.

Mary
    xxx

• posted by Flick
    on

Oh the frustration of being in a different hemisphere and time zone from you all!

JGwen, snowed in you lucky bugger! Terrific to have someone also squirrelling away at the research papers. My take out on that paper (and I need to be careful about cognitive dissonance kicking in) is that intermittment fasting is likely to be a very helpful maintenance strategy. I have low blood pressure so that’s not an issue for me but certainly something for others to be cautious of. As for choleresterol I keep an open mind about studies that are not controlling for actual food consumed by the different study groups. I don’t seem to be able to access the full papers.

Here is another one for your snowy days –

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29086496

Luvtcook, thank you do much for those recipes. I’ll try them after next Tuesday WHEN I START MAINTENANCE 🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🎉🎉🌟🌟🌟💫💫🌈🌈🌈🎄🎄(truth be told it is more like this 😱😟🧐🧐🤔)

Theodora, thanks for sharing your approach to fasting. I plan to adopt a similar maintenance approach.
    Nona Jones, also thanks for sharing. It sounds like fasting really suits your metabolism.

Allie, like Theodora, I’ve been cooking for family during the last FIFTEEN AND HALF WEEKS included delicious desserts and happily eat differently. I did though cancel a rescheduled dinner here last night as I realised I would be fasting. As it turned out, I needed to cook up the last of the big summer tomato harvests to passata so spent time in the kitchen swathed in delicious onion, garlic, herbs aromas and it wasn’t a problem. I’m confident now I could have happily sat chatting. The deal breaker for me would be if the eaters were being disapproving, I have zero interest in justifying my decisions – ah the joys of maturity.

Kazz, How is your fast going?

I’ve just reached the 60 hour mark. Down 1kg so my weight today started with the magic 60! 6 days to go.

• posted by EC
    on

Good (Aus) morning to everyone (Flick you must also be a southern hemisphere poster!) Thankfully I’m in the very far south which means not n=many excruciatingly hot summer days…though still can’t wait for Autumn and winter snow capped mountains

Ltc…many many thanks for the recipes. I will try one or two of them on the weekend when I’ve finished my FMD (day 3 of 5 today)
    The interesting in comparison to other fasting advocates is that Pr Longo is in favour of low protein, moderate carbohydrate diets (carbohydrates predominantly from veg and legumes) His research suggests that high protein is pro-aging which as a life long vegetarian fits with much of my previous conceptions. He still advocates low calorie, and infrequent feeding. Anyhow I’m halfway into his “The Longevity Diet” so will keep you all up on that and also my blood results when they are in
    So far lost app 1.3kg in two days which is almost 3lbs (I was up to the loo several times last night!!) Still about 10-15kg to get to my dream ideal

I’ve also just started a daily physical diary with all my measurements (BSL BP ketones weight body mass etc). Although I find mfp easy, it hopefully will be one more thing to make me accountable

Well done Mary on your friends’ comment…and like everyone else I still cook foods I’m not eating (have to deal with this seasons glut of pears and cooking apples today) The other apples already in the crisper….though I waited till OH away this week to do the FMD (the smell of coffee in the morning would be my nemesis!
    onwards!!
    xxx
    Erin

• posted by Flick
    on

Hi Erin, from Canberra! There is definitely the beginings of glorious autumn in the air here. There’s quite a bit of comment on the interwebs that advise against too much protein, I work on the LindaA formula of 1g per kilo of lean weight (target weight). I’m normally under 60g. Turns out whatever your body can’t use immediately is transformed to body fat so there is also an ”in one sitting’ target of about 20g. I got a bit exercised about this earlier in my process but eventually relaxed. I settled on keeping it below 60g and went on to wonder about iodine 🤪.

Does the FMD also restrict calories?

• posted by EC
    on

Hi Flick…from Hobart!! (we probably have a similar temperate climate!!)…I’m often in Canberra over Easter for the National Folk Festival (we are performing there this year and I also manage a festival down here) I love Canberra in it’s autumnal glory!
    The FMD certainly is low calorie. The five days are app 100c on day one and 700 for days 2-5. While I’m very keen to lose weight and lower BP (my BSL is totally fine…so probably not insulin resistant) I’m also very keen to have excellent health into my old age!!

Re iodine…seaweed and seafood is a much better source than meat, so I just add seaweeds to miso and other soups…esp as Tasmanian soil is notoriously low
    Posting twice in an hour is a first for me!!!..thanks for saying g’day! (mate 😉 )

• posted by EC
    on

oops…that is 1000kc day one!!
    the book is just out and an interesting read….but there was also a catalyst programme on it last year

• posted by alliecat
    on

How lovely, Mary, to receive such a nice compliment from a friend! I
    think the most meaningful reaction I received was when I was approx.
    100lbs down, and saw one of my closest friends for the first time…
    Her eyes filled with tears, and she told me that I was beautiful. Obviously
    a gross overstatement, but it touched my heart that she felt that much
    emotion. We do worry our loved ones more than we realize being un-
    healthily overweight!
    Erin, you’ve been hiding your knowledge “under a bushel”, so I’m
    very happy yo see you over here sharing it with all of us!
    I agree with everyone on the pitfalls of too much protein. I, too,
    depend on LindaA’s formula. Although I never seem to eat the
    number of grams that my ideal body weight would suggest, it’s
    a very useful benchmark to be able to refer to.
    Erin, I didn’t realize you were a vegetarian…You may have been
    away from the forums when this topic came up, but Esnecca introduced
    us to a wonderful product called black soybeans. Regular black
    beans come in at 12 net grams of carbohydrate per 1/2 cup, and
    these little gems only deliver 1! Just thought I’d pass it along….
    I’d given up making chili, and now my freezer is well stocked for
    a quick, low cost meal at any time. We eat fresh fish 3 x a week, and
    in the U.S. that gets to be a costly proposition. It’s great to be able to
    offset it with a few more economical meals 🙂
    I tried a different approach to try and get over my psychological
    block with respect to an extended fast. Today I had my usual
    greek yogurt/bulgarian yogurt breakfast at an early 7:30 am.,
    and didn’t eat again until 7:00pm. It was far easier than what I
    had imagined! I’m hell bent on doing my first 24hr. fast, and this
    may actually be the way forward for me 🙂 I’m feeling very optimistic
    today!
    “Night all, or Good morning, as the case may be 🙂

Allie

• posted by Flick
    on

EC, Wowser. I used to play Irish fiddle and in a bush band and played at a couple of the very early National Folk Festivals. Children put a stop all that in their own endearing way. Canberra is glorious. I love Tasmania, and if I had to move would move there. I impressed myself last year by walking the Overland Track. So stunning it sometimes bought tears to my eyes. Cannot wait now to walk Walls of Jerusalem etc. with my new improved power to weight ratio. You will probably be too busy but let me know if you woukd like to catch up while you’re here.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie,
    There was a program on Channel 4 in the UK yesterday evening at 8pm on making exercise more effective. They mentioned that the amount of fat burnt by exercise in a morning before eating breakfast is double the amount of fat burnt by the same amount of exercise if you have eaten.

Sadly at another point in the program they followed 2 people taking part in an endurance event but they only covered the options of ‘normal’ diet including carbs and carb loading before exercise but made it clear that the benefits of having extra carbs the day before an event only come in around 3 hours of hard physical effort which I thought was a good message to get out to people that they don’t need carbs to be able to exercise.
    ————————–
    On a lighter note, There was a program on ITV from 9pm yesterday evening which is following some people on a 21 day program to improve how old they look. One treatment was putting snails on their faces. Apparently there is something in snail slime which promotes collagen. Snail farming has taken off in some countries to harvest the slime for cosmetics. I wasn’t personally convinced, how do you dictate the route the snails take over the some ones face to ensure the slime is spread evenly?

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi JGwen. Holland & Barrett stock snail gel facial products which means the hard work of directing the snails to the necessary areas isn’t needed 😀. Not sure if they work any better than other facial serums/creams.

• posted by blessedenough
    on

Morning all, we have snow, which is rare being in the sw and within walking distance of the sea. Today I intend to fast for 3 days. I have fasted in the past for 3 days but not recently. I am being a bit lax with bsd. I have watched all of dr fungs diet dr fasting videos and am going to give it a shot. Will still be cooking for the family. Starting today on 14.10, it will be interesting to see how much I lose and if it sticks. My main aim is health benefits and hopefully preventing lose skin. My tummy after 2 massive babies is already wrinkly, it will be a right state if I ever lose my 5st I need to.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Ohh, AnnieW what a disappointment that you can buy pots of snail slime. I was having such a lovely time designing mazes for my potential areas of loose skin to ensure an even spread of slime and looking for garden snails to press into service . 🙂
    ———
    I just think the whole idea is pure genius, notice that workers in the snail farms in Asian countries (who are probably working 10 plus hour days with bare hands with lots of snails) have nice skin so convince people with more money than sense in the Western world that they should pay a lot of money to lie on couches in health farms while people wearing white coats balance 5 snails on their face for a few minutes.

I wonder if there would be a market for snails trained to follow specific patterns. – What could you use as treats for snails if clicker training them. Better not make it cucumber in case people have cucumber patches on their eyes. –

I’ve got it, all you have to do is design a paste of something that snails like to eat and smear that over the area you want slime and leave the snails in place until they have eaten all the paste. –

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, another coffee, and another smile from me, as I again
    enjoy your flights of fancy! I have 1 sister who might actually
    do this…She got it into her vanity fueled mind to have collagen
    injections for the “worry lines” between her brows..Something
    went amiss, the inner portion of one brow became paralyzed,
    and it drooped there for several months. Kind of a quasimoto
    look going on 🙂 I think I’ll just carry on trying to age gracefully,
    thanks!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Haha, JGwen – like Allie, I am drinking coffee atm, and now I have spluttered it all over my laptop!😜
    Don’t you just love the golden nuggets of humour on this forum, amongst all the serious stuff, angst at stalls etc?😊 Quite makes my day – thank you for todays’ smile JGwen x

• posted by alliecat
    on

‘Afternoon, Theo! Isn’t great to have another “humorist” in our
    merry band? Although I’m passionate and very serious about
    this WOL, you and I have a propensity for laughter, mostly
    directed at ourselves. You always make it possible for me
    to avoid all manner of household drudgery when you’re out
    and about 🙂 How is the downsizing project moving along?
    Very “professional” of you to take measurements of your
    favorite heirloom pieces of furniture with you! In my days
    as a designer, I was never without my “powerlock”. (flexible
    carpenter’s ruler).
    American t.v. is full of violence and comedy focused on
    the concerns of 20-30 yr olds, on saturday night…We watch
    “Doc Martin” as an alternative, and I routinely miss half the
    dialogue because I’m so busy studying your stomping
    grounds! I love to think of you and the boys wandering the
    beautiful countryside 🙂
    Now, what does this have to do with “Fasting”?, I’d like to
    know??? Your fault, JGwen. Happy slime trails, all 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Allie, thank you, you have raised more smiles (though not of the coffee spluttering kind, thankfully, as I don’t think my keyboard could take any more drenchings today😉)

The boys and I are not so much wandering our beautiful countryside at the moment, more wading through drifts of snow (almost unheard of down here) and freezing to death in the howling gales!

As far as the downsizing project is concerned (sorry, way off topic, but you did ask, and I agree, let’s blame JGwen😜😘👍) not very well, I’m afraid. The more I see of the house, the more I want it, especially now that I know my precious pieces will fit! I have already arranged them all in my mind. But the vendors have 3 offers on the table, of which ours is the lowest, and we refuse to get into a bidding war, although we have increased our original figure. The strength of our offer is that, unlike the others, ours will be a cash purchase, we need neither a mortgage nor to sell this house in order to proceed, and are happy to give the vendors total flexibility on when they move – be it next month or in 6 months time (they are moving to London, and haven’t yet found a house) In fact, we won’t even put our house on the market until we complete the purchase (hopefully) on the downsize house. The vendors have decided to mull it over until Monday – they have to make up their mind between purchasers who are offering more money, but need mortgages and have houses to sell before they can proceed (always risky) and our offer of less money but a cast iron guarantee of going ahead to their desired timescale. So, a lot of thinking for them and a long wait ahead for us. Heyho! I have to accept that we may just be staying put, but thank you for asking.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theo, I know exactly what you are going through! We did the
    “downsize” about a decade ago, and it was a miserable, stressful
    experience. You may be pleasantly surprised though, an all
    cash offer is extremely attractive to busy, successful people.
    Over here, you see more of it in the high end real estate market.
    When we went through this process, our home wasn’t even
    shown to people who didn’t have mortgage pre-approval.
    This didn’t mitigate against people still attempting to put
    in an insultingly low bid, however 🙂 Throw open the doors
    of Hotel Theodora this weekend! It might make the time til
    Monday move along a little faster? Who cares if you may
    have to include a few B listers? Or in my case, probably
    a too outspoken “C-lister” from across the pond 🙂
    I’m keeping positive thoughts in my head/heart for you
    and o/h. Update us next week!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

We had a cash offer too, but it was for full asking price. It was also literally 3 days after the house went on the market, so nobody else had had a chance to edge us out. The house was appropriately priced and, even though the mere fact of the cash offer is a real advantage over other financing-based offers, we just wanted to seal the deal as quickly as possible and stop the showings which we knew there had already been a half-dozen of.

I reacted the same way as you, Theo. This was my house from the moment I walked in the door. When you know, you know. Our baby passed inspection with flying colors, btw. Now it’s just a matter of waiting it out until closing, giving the seller the time he needs to move, something we’ve helped expedite, I think, because he very generously sold us 80% of his absolutely beautiful furnishings for a tiny fraction of what they’re worth and is leaving other great pieces behind free and gratis.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that your offer is accepted, Theo. I’d totally pick the convenience and assurance of the cash offer over slightly higher put problematic bids. A couple of grand more or less can’t possibly make up for the uncertainties and shadiness of lender financing when you’re already dealing with all the headaches and worries of uprooting your life.

• posted by alliecat
    on

You’ve been busy, E! I’m overjoyed for you that the bldg.
    inspection went well. Sounds like this was just “meant to
    be”! Now that you’ve reclaimed your life, the sky’s the limit.
    I couldn’t be happier for you 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Thank you, Allie! You’ll have to come down and experience the glory of this house for yourself once we’re moved in. 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Thanks, Allie and Essie. Fingers (mine) and paws (the boys) crossed! Allie, don’t worry about Hotel Theodora continuing, as when I say “downsizing”, whilst it is less than 2/3 the size of our current house, it does have 4 large bedrooms, so will still be able to accommodate the usual plethora of guests each summer (even if on a slightly smaller scale). Alas, I cannot throw the doors open this weekend (well I could, but we would freeze to death🤣) because guests couldn’t actually get to us, as all our tiny little lanes are closed due to snow. We were supposed to be going out for supper with friends at our local yacht club tomorrow evening, but it is closed because it is totally inaccessible!!💨

I agree that, in normal circumstances, a cash offer would be looked upon very favourably, but the vendors are moving to London and, with the capital’s prices (even a broom cupboard there will set you back half a million🤷), I’m guessing they will be needing every penny they can lay their hands on. So we shall just have to wait and see…………..

Essie, they have 2 offers at way over asking price (ours is under), so who knows how they will react. I’m really pleased that your purchase looks to be going ahead smoothly. I don’t know about how real estate works in the US but here, nothing is certain until contracts are exchanged, which takes an average of 8 weeks, when deposits are taken. Until that time, either party can pull out without sanctions. It is then usually about 4 weeks until Completion takes place and the keys are handed over. We have offered Exchange as soon as it can be legally managed, so we will be locked in, and Completion to their timescale, with a longstop date of 9 months.

There really is nothing else I would be interested in – we’ve been looking for 3 years and the house we are interested in is hugely over-priced in our view, but in a stunning location, and it’s a sellers’ market atm. If we lose out, we will probably stay in this house until we are taken out feet first………😅

On the bright side, at least it would save the stress and hassle of a move after 40 years!!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Ooh, forgot to mention that the downsize house is owned by 2 doctors whom, whilst married, have kept their own surnames. His is the same as the people we bought our current home from, and hers is the same as the people who owned it before them. So maybe that is a good omen?🤞

Errr………back to fasting……………………..???😜

Please log in or register to post a reply.