Fasting blood levels

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi all,
    Start my 8th week tomorrow. Weight loss good. However I just can’t seem to get my morning fasting levels to drop below 7.
    Looking back through my notebook they fell to the 5s and 6s for a few days but these readings were short lived. I fast from 7ish onwards to about 9am. I don’t know where I’ve gone wrong. I halved my metformin about a week ago but the higher readings were occurring before this time. Not all bad though as when I first started the BSD my fbs was 11. Just wondered if anyone else had suffered prolonged highish readings, not the common blips which I felt I’d also had.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Leeanne
    It could be that you are just one of those people who have a highish dawn effect.
    I am still having regular FBS readings in the high sixes but during the rest of the day they are in normal ramge. I did actually contact the team about htis when I was getting the spikes and they told me not to worry about the fasting readings as long as others were ok. this is because the Dawn phenomonen is a completely natural process which affects everyone differently.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Bill, the majority of my daily readings are in the pre-diabetic or non-diabetic range which is pleasing. Like you say, I must be one of the ones who get high morning figures. My hubby who’s not diabetic sometimes has a 7.4 in the morning if I can get him to test. The funny part is that he gets mixed up with dawn phenomenon and embarrassingly refers to it as morning glory!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

LMAO
    Morning glory has a different meaning where I come from 😀
    Seriously Leeanne, if your readings are good for the rest of the day, I wouldn’t worry too much about the FBS reading, it may come down in time but it’s really a personal thing as to how your body reacts to stored sugar being released by your liver and how well your pancreas is performing in producing insulin to control it.
    Of course you have to get to the point where there isn’t a lot of stored glucose left.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Yes Bill, it means something completely different here too!!
    Hopefully things will settle in time. Am planning on going beyond 8 weeks so at some point my glucose stash will have to diminish logically thinking.
    Looking forward to June when my yearly HBA1C and other bloods will be done. A bit of a crisis though at my GP surgery as no nurses through sickness and staff leaving until they recruit some so no diabetic reviews until at least June!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.