Fast 800/BSD and acid reflux disease

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Original Murraymint
    on

Hi all, I’m 10 days in and lost 3kg the first week but slower results this week so far. I expected that to happen! I’m eating all the right things and, apart from getting fed up with cooking two different meals (partner is built like a stick insect!), I’m not having any problem with the calories or the carbs. Last Week I felt fantastic, this week I have keto flu!
    My real problem is that, as someone with long-term acid reflux disease for which I am prescribed esomeprazole, a lot of the foods cause me indigestion and nausea over time.
    I love a Mediterranean style diet but tomatoes are a no-no, peppers give me indigestion and oil and fats are a big problem.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about getting enough protein without too much fat content?
    Food is going to get very boring if I can’t find a solution. My consumption of fats has definitely increased and I’m not enjoying the consequences! I really want this diet to work

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Murraymint, none fatty proteins are easy to find. First, meat, just cut off any excess fat. Another choice, chicken. Eggs, yoghurts, some cheeses like cottage cheese. Then there is most seafood – mentioned last because I hate it all. Uckkk.

Keep your fats to the good stuff like cooking with rapeseed oil, dressings of olive oil (not great for cooking as it doesnt like v.h. temperatures plus it is expensive), avocados, nuts, seeds, oily fish and full fat dairy. You dont have to eat fats, this isnt the Atkins diet.

on

Thanks Sunshine-girl. I already do all of that but it’s still too much fat for my dodgy stomach! I’ve followed a very low fat diet for decades so even adding avocados and more oily fish is causing problems. I guess I’ll just have to keep experimenting until I find a tolerable level. I’m sure I’ll feel a lot better when the keto flu lifts and my legs stop feeling like lead weights when I try to go for a walk!

on

Just make sure you dont replace fats with low fat foods like yoghurts. They are full of carbs i.e. rice powder is one they use and also others like low fat marge are chemically enhanced which really messes with your body. Hope you are feeling better soon, it does pass.

on

Hi Sunshine-girl,
    No danger of me replacing anything with low fat or any “diet” varieties. Learned all about those many years ago and I’m a firm believer in real food, as natural as possible!
    Thanks for your support, it is reassuring to be told that this horrible weak spell will pass. Missing my long walks!

• posted by AnnieW
    on

There’s always an exception to the rule🙂. Fage Total 0% Greek yoghurt is a good source of calcium and protein which is low in fat for those that may need it. Skimmed milk is used in 0% alongside the beneficial cultures and no fillers. 2%, which I’ve recently seen in my local Sainsbury’s, uses skimmed milk and cream whilst 5% is whole milk and cream – all pasteurised. I found it interesting that the 0% has the most protein/100g at 10.3g whilst 5% had the least at 9g and all have the same amount of carbs at 3g. 0% also has 121g of calcium whilst the other two have 120g which is also important to know for those of us looking after our bones too.

on

Thanks AnnieW, there are always exceptions or foods that are naturally low in fat like the Fage. I was referring to foods that have been made low fat by adding other things.

Please log in or register to post a reply.