Fast 800 5:2 and acid reflux anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi does is there anyone following the fast800 with acid reflux and a hiatus hernia? I’m wondering if it makes it better or worse? I’m taking 20 mg omeprazole daily and my symptoms are much reduced with it.
    I need to lose about 2 stone so I’m planning to start the fast 800 diet and am thinking I’ll do 2 days fast of 800 and on the other 5 days stick fairly closely to a Mediterranean type diet.
    Has anyone got any experience of fast800 with acid reflux?

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi IKT
    I have had some intermittent acid reflux – but not to the point of needing medication. But I can say that since I have embraced this BSD/Fast 800 way of eating – and also in the process taking care of my gut health (see the Cleverguts https://cleverguts.com/ ) – I have not needed to use any over-the-counter remedies for this – no reflux! No indigestion. I think repairing my gut health helped a lot.
    All the best with this WOE. There are lots of inspiring stories here. Look at the One Week at a Time posts (new one every week) and the Seriously Sensible September for lots of info. Or just click on Latest Forums posts to see everything. 😀

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Thanks MerryMelba for the advice and support I can’t find anything that says don’t do it anywhere so I’m going to try – a day at a time and see how I go. My doctor suggested weightwatchers – for the group support mainly – so she’s not saying to me don’t try dieting.

You’re right about the gut health – I think my issues stem from too many bouts of antibiotics a few years ago, and when I’m stressed it goes to my gut – last year we had a year long building project going on with no kitchen for some of this time hence too many ready meals which played havoc with my digestion . I drink kefir everyday and yogurt too.
    I’ll give it a go! 😀

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi IKT
    I had acid reflux. It was sporadic. I was never on regular meds but it was severe at times (visits to GP and I was hospitalised once). I did the original Blood Sugar Diet. I did 800 calories and 20g carbs. I started with 3 meals a day for a few weeks and then did 2 meals a day for the rest of the time I was losing weight. I stopped eating after 8pm although I would have liquid after that. (I drank water, or nettle or peppermint tea, I had very little to no alcohol).
    I did time restricted eating – initially 12:12 for a few weeks, then basically 16:8 for most of the time. Generally, I didn’t snack between meals but if I really felt I had to I’d have a small amount of full fat Greek yoghurt. I didn’t fast i.e. 24hrs, 36hrs,42hrs etc until I was in maintenance – and even then I’ve never fasted consistently – yet!
    My acid reflux disappeared relatively early on – I don’t know for sure what made it go but my instincts are:: because I went low with the carbs (I went 20g carbs to manage my type II – not saying you have to go that low but I think cutting out a lot of the big carb groups helped), not snacking (something about giving my digestive system a rest?), and starting things slowly and gently – as you say, day by day, week by week.

I know your circumstances are different and I don’t know the impact of the meds for you but thought some of this might help – hope so.
    Jennie xx

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Thank you Jennie and well done on your weight loss. You’ve given me plenty to think about. When I first found out I’d got a hiatus hernia and an ulcer, I cut down on carbs and did a more re or less Mediterranean type diet, as everything I was reading was pointing towards low carb and the med diet. When I went back to the hospital for a follow up endoscopy the Dr said the ulcer had cleared up – either by the pills or my diet – I like to think it was the diet 😀 I didn’t lose weight though – I suppose I was focusing on trying to heal myself.
    I’ve slipped off the med diet low carb diet wagon recently as I’ve tried to get a balance with taking the medication and managing my symptoms and finding out what foods suit me and what my triggers are. I’m now more or less symptoms free now, thanks to taking a daily low dose of omeprazole and now’s the right time to start working losing some weight.
    I’ll take it carefully to begin with and see how I get on – I’ll post back after my first fast day 😀

• posted by Sharlee
    on

Hi Ikeeptrying,

I’m wondering how you got on with the program and your acid Reflux? I also have GERD, hiatus hernia and oesophagitis so pretty much same as you. I know someone who has huge weight loss success and has kept it off by using the fast 800 so thought I’d try it but my dietitian isn’t sure and I bought a copy of the fast 800 recipe book but so many recipes have either tomatoes, onion, garlic, processed meats like bacon or capsicum at least and non of which I can eat. So I’m wondering if it would even be possible. Plus I’m wondering if there is too much fat in the recipes for GErd.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks in advance.

• posted by JGwen
    on

tapiranxious is obviously using an AI system to gererate advertising.

The advice Dr Fungs team give re acid is to add a small amount of lemon juice, or cider apple vinegar, to your water to balance the acid levels if you suffer from reflux.

Please log in or register to post a reply.