Experimenting with a keto diet?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Brilliant! I read that article and yes it makes a lot of sense. Of course one can be in ketosis and not lose fat/even put on fat if one eats too much. I knew that, but somehow forgot it haha
    Thanks Verano and thanks @artful-owl for sharing that article as it also lead me to a local australian doctor. Very excited to discover professional local to me 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hello my fellow ketoniens I slept a little longer than I wanted to, but that’s nights!

When I got in this morning I decided to break my fast and have a coffee with cream. I stupidly took painkillers on a very empty stomach! I needed them but should have just taken one not two! This caused a funny but bad reaction! I dropped two jars of beetroot, a jar of mayo and a caramelised onion chutney on the floor of my aisle and they all smashed! Not at the same time and what a mess! At one point it looked like I had murdered someone😂😂😱. It truly messed with my hand eye coordination, made me as high as I kite too! Ah well lesson learned. I did test my bloods before I drank the coffee with cream and they were 2.5 for ketosis and 4.2 for BSL, I then divided them by each other which gave me a 16.8 ratio. I need to look it up, but it is within the parameters for rapid weight discard. It will be interesting to see the figures as I re feed myself. I am still confused by it but I have an abundance of energy which is a definite side effect from being in ketosis. I am happy with that.

I can’t test my blood ketones again now until I get my sticks order, so breathalyser and pee sticks for me today.

V when adding your yogurt did you take the korma off of the heat before putting it in? Whenever I have put that or creme freche into it I always take it off of the heat first and this stops it splitting. It calms the dish down and there is no additional heat to cause the split. Works every time for me. Hope this helps and good luck on day 5. I think it is day 3 or 4 for me. Like you I am kinda losing track!

Maisiebeth yes it is true that it takes around 30 mins for stomach to tell your brain you are full, it is not a myth. Hormones and bacteria in the gut do talk to our brains, the worst one is the one that loves carbs and dies if we don’t eat them! It is a bacteria that can really shout at our brains and tell it to get us to supply more carbs as it doesn’t want to die!! You just couldn’t make this up😂😂. Eating slower and at the table or breakfast bar helps me with that. I actually put my knife and fork down a few times during my meal and sometimes take a sip of water fizzy or flat. I was the same as everyone and never knew when I was full, and I still am sometimes! But since being on this woe I have been a bit more strict and have overruled my natural ability to grab something else! This does not always work, but then I grab an hardboiled egg, sausage if I have some cooked off or some cheese. All pretty high in fat and they seem to sort it. That way I haven’t grabbed carbbage and the fat is more filling. This may work for you too. It is a massively hard habit to break as we have been like it for our entire lives, when you really think about it! It is only supposed to take 3 days to become a habit, try 20 plus years and it is going to take a while to break it. We will get there hun don’t worry of that I am sure. We have such good tools now❤️ Good luck hun.

Artful owl well done on navigating your maintenance, I love how you put it, “sometimes mine take the scenic route” it did make me chuckle but it is so very apt! Love it❤️ I am with you on the booze front! I do love a drink still although I still don’t drink like I used to and I tend to stick to Gin or wine and avoid lager! Liquid bread has no place in my life anymore. I think in moderation and not too often will be ok. I think if we couldn’t have the occasional treat we would go mad. We just need to make sure we don’t over indulge. I know easier said than done sometimes. But again we are trying to break bad habits of a life time and that too will take the scenic route.❤️❤️

Ok I have waffled on enough. To the rest of you well done on KOKO and thanks for all the links and tips. Have a great day. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Verano
    on

Louise glad you found the articles useful and even better that you’ve found a professional close to you.
    Thanks Birdy that sounds like a plan. I had thought next time I’d just blitz the fried onions add them to the curry with a little water and cook and just add the yogurt at the end and warm through. Must admit the flavour was great just looked a bit off.
    I’m amazed at the reaction you had to painkillers, you didn’t say what they were, but anyway it’s something we should all look out for. I guess we shouldn’t rake any medication on a really empty stomach. As you say, lesson learned, and thanks for forewarning us.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Busybee – it can get so complicated! Can we break down what would be most helpful for you right now? What do you need for it to make more sense because I get that reading stuff and watching videos can make it harder and lead to more questions and I think you really just want to the basics so you can go ahead and lose weight and get healthy??
    I’m probably going to get corrected but my simplified version of BSD/Fast 800 and keto is that they are all the same principles.
    1. Fat high, protein moderate (maybe a little more in keto) and carbs low.
    2. Depending on how insulin resistant you are (and I would argue that many of us are if we’ve been dieting most of our lives), keep your carbs under 20g (which means you’re following keto as well).
    3. If you think that you gain easily regardless of what you eat, then stick to the 800 calories for a time, you can always re-evaluate. Keto differs there because it doesn’t require calorie counting but eating to satiety and as I’ve already mentioned, that doesn’t work for me. At least not yet 😁
    I forget how long you’ve been doing this for so apologies if I’m sounding all bossy and know-it-all – I most assuredly do not!
    Simplify things for yourself and then as you get more comfortable, you can change it up. Do two meals a day for now, then later you can try one meal a day. People still lose on TMAD. People still lose without fasting. The basics still work.
    Let em know what I can do to help make it less confusing – I will happily share what I’m doing/eating if you just want the simplicity of following along 😊🦄

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Evening all!

Just dropping by to say that all the interesting articles, discussion and general talk of science tipped me over the edge – I bought the blood glucose / ketone monitor! I can’t resist a bit of experimentation and some numbers to play with. I do love a good spreadsheet!

Have just had a mess about with it and worked out how to use it – BG was 4.4 and ketones 1.9 (I’m about 23.5 hours fasted for these measurements).

I’m going to check regularly over the next week and try to work out how my body reacts to different foods etc – this will be fun 😁

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Oh beegirl we can be blood friends😂😂. I live being able to see it in real time.

I did a little experiment tonight and that was to drink some alcohol! I had read in Dr B’s book that white spirits were supposed to be ok, but both her mum and her couldn’t take them as they were to strong! Well my per sticks have been really dark pink for two days now and after having 3 gins and slimline tonic I have got light pink keto stick😭😭. This has proven to me that I need to drink no alcohol for the next 4 weeks!!

V I took soluble soulphadine soz can’t spell it.

Sleep well all and see you tomorrow when I will be fasting again to get back into ketosis. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Elky
    Thanks for your info on the breath meter. I’m still a bit confused but I think I will just accept that I have a reading and that means I have ketones! If I am doing 20g a day then ketosis should follow. I really like the 3 part article that Artful Owl posted – the writer’s take on not getting obsessed with the numbers sounded what I wanted to hear 😁😁 I think I am fairly fat adapted – after a carby day I can get back into ketosis with a day or so. I do agree that I need to watch calories even when eating low carb (being only 5ft tall) and cannot keep eating!
    I thought I might make some Cloud Bread this weekend – chilly here so a good day for cooking. Would you be able to send me the link for the recipe you use? I was thinking cloud bread with some vanilla essence and cinnamon may be tasty with a spread of cream cheese. 😋 I’m also about to bake some lowcarb bread.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

@merrymelba did you try the low carb Aldi bread? It’s 5g of carbs for 2 slices, so 2.5g per slice. It’s quite good!! I have it maybe once a week/fortnight depending on how I feel. I think it will become more regular when in maintenance

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Merry, that’s timely I just took some out of the oven! It’s from wholesomeyum.com but it’s super easy.

Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
    Like baking tray with non stick paper.
    Separate 3 eggs. Beat whites with a pinch of cream of tartar. Beat yolks with 3 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese and a pinch of salt. Fold whites into yolks.
    Scoop mixture into 6 circles on the lined tray.
    Pop into oven 25-35 minutes until golden.
    Enjoy 😌

Cheers Elky

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thanks Elky!! Snifffff – mmm smells good straight from the oven. I will get cooking!
    Thanks Louise – I have hermanbrot.com.au bread – same 2 slices = 5g. I keep a loaf in the freezer for those times I need a slice of toast and vegemite!
    The bread I am making is from the What the Fat book so you will see it there. This loaf doesn’t get much height, but I slice it up and freeze the slices. It toasts well and goes well with my eggs, avo and bacon. 3.3g for 2 slices
    I’ll also make some coconut macaroons today – from a keto cookbook whose name I cant remember! Basically 1/4 cup almond flour, 2 cups shredded coconut, tablespn melted butter, tablesp vanilla essence, (mix these 4 ingredients together) 1/4 cup of sweetener (or to taste depending on what you use), and 4 egg whites. Whip egg whites and sweetner to stiff peaks. Fold into the other mixture.
    Makes 12 – 16 in spoonfuls on a baking tray. Bake 350degF about 15 -18 mins until tops are lightly brown. 78 cals / 7g carb each if you make 12 cookies.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all I am so afraid to eat any kind of bread keto or not, but I do fancy toast and marmite every so often!😂. Fair play to you guys that can bake it and eat it and still be in ketosis.

I am brimming with energy this morning and was wide awake at 5am! I was a little dry after drinking last night but I don’t think it has actually kicked me out of ketosis, Elky said it could just be that I made less ketones whilst the alcohol was in my system. I am hoping this is right?!?. Thank you Elky ❤️ I am so alert and buzzing that I feel I must still be in.

Hope you guys are all doing well💞. I am off to walk my dogs now. Have a great day everyone. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Birdy!! 🌼🌻
    How was your dog walk?? Do you have 2 dogs? I have 2 – mid-small labradoodles.
    I am very judicious with the low carb bread I make.😛😋 It makes a very low loaf (like a nut loaf that didn’t rise!) and I slice it into 16 or so slices – so each small slice is less that 2g. I only have 2-3 a week – and less when I am going for a loss goal. Kept out of reach in the freezer.
    If I am feeling I really need a “something” – then rather than go for more chocolate or worse! – I try instead to toast a slice of this “bread” with a spread of nut butter.
    The cloud bread is just egg and cream cheese so almost 0 carbs. I just made my first batch ( Thanks Elky – with vanilla essence and cinnamon added) and was pleased with how they turned out – and had one with a spread of cream cheese on top. Yum! Very light. The rest are packed in the freezer out of temptation.
    Glad you are over the effects of your tablets! Liked your description of the chaos in the aisle!
    Merry🌺

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Good morning everyone, I’m really enjoying reading all your post.hhave to admit it’s the first time I’ve felt part of a like minded community.
    I’m a little scared as I’m flying solo this week, I’m in the UK visiting my disabled daughter and I have no monitor or scales with me. I’m having to trust my body to tell me the right signals…… oooh er, it’s new territory for me. But I’ve tried to be sensible with my food shopping and stick to what I do at home, even minus the regular glass of wine as I’ve no hubby with me to share the experience, 85% chocolate did somehow find it’s way into my trolley though! I don’t think it will be practically possible for my daughter or her partner to go keto, but they don’t mind eating the occasionally meal with me so I’m cooking them frittata for lunch every day and we’re having a keto Sunday lunch tomorrow.
    I did have a little non scale victory last night when I went to get some fish and chips for my daughter and her partner and negotiated the sights and smells of the takeaway without getting anything for myself! I did sneak a chip ( the first in months) and was happy to find that I didn’t enjoy it!
    Birdy, sounds as though all is going well for you with all your excess energy! Well done! I have only recently added alcohol ( and keto bread) back into my life now I’m in maintenance.I kept away from it while I was discarding. I have a small glass of wine most evenings and I’m still in ketosis the next morning. Obviously I can’t measure that evening as I’m using a cheap breathalyser to measure my ketones and it won’t know what are ketones and what’s alcohol!! Funnily enough I now find most wines way too sweet for me, they now taste more like sherry! I’ve made some homemade rhubarb gin this summer and am just waiting for it to mature a little longer then I’m going to go for that with slimline tonic. Do you find the sweetners in your tonic are ok with your insulin levels? I’ve not tried it yet, I m ok with erythrytol.
    Bee girl I love spreadsheets and numbers too, have to say I’ve got totally obsessed trying different food and checking my levels it’s great fun though!!a
    MerryMelba, thank you for your macaroons recipe, they sound delicious, hat is definitely a keeper, I’ve got all the ingredients in my cupboard just waiting to be made up!
    Am I the only one who doesn’t like cloud bread, if so I’ll go and hide under the stairs!! Its the texture I’m not keen on.
    I’ve tried lots of different keto bread recipes and have settled on 2 that hubby and I both really enjoy, here are the links if anyone is interested

https://lowcarbyum.com/coconut-flour-flax-bread-or-muffins/

The macros say 4g carbs per slice but 3g of that is fibre so the net carbs are only 1g per slice….. and I can slice it twice as thin as they recommend so i get double the surface to spread my butter on!!

This one below is my husbands favourite, he says it’s as good as the ‘real’ thing! If you’re looking at calories as well there are more that the one above. I’ve also managed to roll them flat and make them into pizza bases….OMG they were gorgeous! That’s our Saturday nights sorted now that “Strictly” is back on TV!!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Enjoy your weekend fellow ketonians😊

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Merry I have two Labrador’s they are lovely, I love labradoodles too❤️ Thank you for the info on the keto bread and you are doing amazingly by keeping it on the downlow as it were. I have convinced my son to eat clean/keto Sunday to Thursday with me and then he can have treats Friday and Saturday. I will make the keto bread but not tell him what it is as I can’t think of any other way to make an easy lunch that he will eat when he is at school. I like the cloud bread but my OH doesn’t, he thinks it is just a folded omelette and that is not like a sandwich at all😂😂. But he is doing well with not eating bread anyway. He is going as low carb as he can for a man that doesn’t eat any vegetables! I made the keto butter chicken last night with cauliflower rice and he loved it! It was so so tasty. He doesn’t like me to tell him it is cauliflower and I mix it in so he can’t see it😂😂. I think we are getting there Merry and having this thread is really helping. Thank you.💖

Artful Owl well done on resisting the fish and chips💪❤️. Thank you also for the links I will try them both out and see which one my men like best. So so glad that you are enjoying being with us, we live your posts too. I still thank my lucky stars that I stumbled onto this forum, everyone is so kind and helpful💞💞. I am glad you are navigating your stay sans husband, it must be so good to catch up with your daughter😍.

I can report that my alcohol test last night has not chucked me out of ketosis! Phew 😅. So my pee stick was dark dark pink again this morning l, my BSL was only 3.8 and my breath was 5.2 but I am not sure wether that was still the booze or not! I am sure the machine doesn’t know the difference. But I will test again after lunch to be sure. I have energy for days ladies! I am also pleased that I don’t have to fast again so soon😂😂. Elky was right, it must have been because my liver was processing the alcohol, so it couldn’t make many ketones. My god the human body amazes me❤️.

Have great day everyone I am off to fry myself some eggs and bacon 🥓. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Birdy – loving the concept of ‘blood friends’ 😂 I also love the alcohol experiement; after my holiday I’m laying off the booze for a few weeks (probably…!) but will be sure to test when I next have a drink as I’ll be most interested to see what has the least impact for me personally. Now let me think, I’ll need to test sparkling wine, lager, ale, vodka, gin…..😁 I’m going to test BG and ketones again at the end of my fast, just before lunch and then try to do BG two and four hours after eating. Will then test BG and ketones again tomorrow morning just before lunch to see how a non fasted morning looks (I fast Mon, Wed & Fri). I’m ridiculously excited to have more numbers to play with – you can tell I’m an analyst by trade; any data and I’m practically dancing! Have to make sure I don’t end up with fingers like a pin cushion in my search for data 😂

Artful Owl – hope the visit is going well and your daughter and partner are enjoying the frittatas!

Re keto breaks – I must admit to using these quite a lot, although I haven’t tried the cloud bread as yet. I have keto bread rolls, golden sesame bread and stupid easy bagels in the freezer most of the time. I’m trying to limit the frequency I have them, but it’s nice to know they’re there. I have to say, the golden sesame bread from Diet Doctor is lovely – possibly my favourite. I’m making fathead pizza for myself and the kids tonight, so that’s a type of keto bread base I guess; I love it (well I would, given it’s mostly cheese, which is one of my areas of…well…obsession…!).

I might have to try the cloud bread this week at some point, since so many people are talking about it. One for the list I think.

One thing I do love about fasting and eating low carb / keto – I now look forward to food and I have more interest in cooking than I have done in 20 years. I’m keen to try new things, I now think about what I’m eating or plan and anticipate what I’m going to eat after a fast, and food is something now worthy of careful consideration rather than just reaching for the first thing I can stuff in my mouth.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Beegirl you are so so funny and I laughed out load at your booze list for your experiment😂😂❤️ I am not even going to try lager! Liquid bread is a definite no no for me. But Gin, vodka and wine are still in😉

I am still so full of energy and have been dancing around the kitchen to very loud music😂😂. I have also hoovered, put washing on and done the dishes. I am currently sorting out and chucking out from my kitchen store cupboards! They are quite deep and high up so I got my stool and I can’t believe the crap I have found at the back😂😂. Nice and tidy now and all BSD and keto ingredients are all that are left in there🥰🥰

Have a great day blood buddy😂💞. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Birdy
    Yes, we were clearing out stuff from our kitchen cupboards the other day and came across a tin of sardines, expiry date 2011!
    Jennie xx
    Edited: Clearly the one that got away!

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

Can I run this past you all please as I am really not sure I am grasping this totally. I don’t know if this is over simplification and I am missing the point, but if I do the basic fast 800, keeping my carbs below 20 but add in an extra couple of hundred calories from fat, like cheese or butter, is this about right?
    I have finally just tipped into the Healthy Weight range and although I still want to lose a bit more, I know it is going to be slower, so I thought trying to go keto would help.
    Any thoughts.
    I love the idea of the keto bread recipes but I am all too aware of my failings and think my resistance would falter! Ditto alcohol, do love a rhubarb gin and tonic or 4!

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Maisiebeth,
    Well done at getting into a healthy weight range! I personally think your plan could work. My hubby and I kept to the Fast800 and 20g carbs for 12 weeks during which time we’d got to our planned finishing weight. We then slowly upped our calories each week but kept the carbs at 20g, adding in more fats and for OH also a bit more protein. We both found that we ‘ran on’ past our planned weight and kept discarding for a few more weeks. I discarded another 7lb, OH another 12lb, which was actually a bit much for him and his face looks really gaunt …… oh dear, how do I tell him🤔. Although it worked for us you might be very different but I’d be inclined to try it and see….. one size doesn’t fit all, but I’ve found that, as someone has said recently,( sorry I can’t remember who it was) you’ve got find out what works for you and run with it! Its going to be very healthy even if your weight loss is slower.
    Incidentally we eventually also upped our carb levels a little to as we wanted to add a few more veggies and fruit into our diet. But we’ve found a level now that still keeps us in ketosis…. around 30g for me and 40g for OH
    Bee girl, I love your idea for an alcohol experiment, I’d like to sign up but think I’d be a light weight, since I went keto I’m a cheap date and it does take much to get me a little merry🤪🥴🤭.
    We also try to regulate how much bread we eat, only one bread bun a day or a slice of bread. I’m finding that I’m quite content with that as I know it’s not banned and I can always have some again another day!
    I too have discovered my love of cooking again since we’ve changed our WOE. Ive always cooked from scratch but over the years it gets tedious, same old same old. Now I search the net for new keto recipes and love experimentinqa. The DD Indian butter chicken is to die for!
    My daughter and her partner are loving the frittata, she loves smoked salmon in it…. expensive tastes! Does anyone know if they freeze well? I’d like to make a big one in a deep tin, cut it into squares and freeze it for them so they can just get one out when they want and warm it through in the microway. Would that work or will it affect the texture??

Even after a few weeks on my keto experiment I’m still amazed at all the delicious foods I can eat, stay incredibly healthy and not put weight on. I’m dreaming surely?!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Wow so many posts. Great to see so much conversation going on.
    BeeGirl I’ve found that looking at recipes has given me back more of an interest in cooking too. I think I was in a rut cooking the same meals over and over again.
    Tonight I’m making burgers with low-carb onion rings. I’ve never made them before but they look lovely.
    Hope everyone has a good weekend and that each of us finds the path that suit best. I think mine will be low carb at 20g or less a day but with less emphasis on being in ketosis. Can’t concentrate on too many things at one time!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Ooh V can I have the low carb onion ring recipe please as we are also having homemade burgers😂❤️. Thanks Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Verano
    on

Birdy just read the reviews and not good! Think it may be an idea to dip onion rings into coconut flour or similar before the eggs and then dry mix. Makes sense when I used to make sole goujons I dipped them in flour, egg and then crumbs …. similar principle. Let me know how to get on!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thanks for offering to help Kafin13 – I will try to be brief!
    I started the original BSD three years ago next month and have “played” with the woe and low carb eating with usually TMAD since.
    The most I lost was two stone seven pounds which I gradually gained again. I found all the counting and preparing rather time consuming and I am easily persuaded to fall off the wagon!
    I have followed the various topics over the years and been interested to follow the ups and downs of the various members both new and old.
    In June I suddenly found a renewed enthusiasm, started to eat below 20g per day, still eating TMAD, adding in a little more fat, tried the egg fast and bought a breathalyser. I have discarded about a stone!
    I am busy reading all the latest on Keto eating and the significance of two much protein which could be a factor as I do love meat and fish. It seems I should be having about 76g per day on the calculation given from Dr B.

I am struggle with the thought of counting calories, carbs, fat and protein and at the same time planning and preparing meals.
    For now I think I will just keep the carbs right down, up the fat and perhaps lower the amount of protein and also with slip in a couple of egg fasts before we go away. Maybe the use of the breathalyser and newly purchased pee sticks will encourage me!
    Sorry to ramble on and reading this back it is obvious that I am still confused, though probably expecting the best outcome for little effort!!!!
    Yours hopefully
    B X

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Merry! I sometimes substitute the mascarpone/cream cheese with mayo (you cannot taste the difference, I promise!). That way I feel I can have more cream cheese on top, especially if I’m egg fasting which limits cheese. And I’ve never added the cream of tartar – Elky, do you think it makes a difference? I’ve done the savory and also the vanilla essence/cinnamon but Artful Owl, I’m with you, I don’t mind the cloud bread (and it’s definitely needed on an egg fast) but it’s not my favorite. I crisp mine up in a non-stick pan before eating which helps but the texture can be a bit off-putting. A fried egg in the middle of two makes it better!! Trust your judgement while you’re with your daughter, you’ve already proven you can in the F&C shop!!
    The keto bread all sounds very interesting, I’m a little afraid of opening that door in case I find it too delicious and can’t stop. Maybe in maintenance…
    Busybee – thanks for the extra info and apologies, I do remember you mentioning that before. I’m glad you’ve found renewed enthusiasm and sounds like you are staying on track. I’m the opposite of you, I found the counting makes me feel safe but I’m a bit of a control freak so having a regimen I can rely on, works for me. I do struggle with the varying opinions on protein – if I go by the “weight I want to be” calculation, then I should only be having 38-42g of protein and I’ve been trying to stick to that. It seems to have helped my weight loss recently so I could just be more susceptible to protein – on days when I was eating more, I was doing a very physical job so it seemed to offset it and I continued to lose. I think you’re on the right track with your plan, the counting and preparing can be annoying but my hope is that it won’t be forever!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all I have again woken up and am wide awake and ready to go and watch my son play rugby. The sun is shinning but it is a bit chilly here in Blighty!

V I never got around to making the onion rings as I got way laid😂. I was having a chat with my beautiful friend in LA on Skype. Much more important than cooking and stuffing my face 😂. I will do them at some point and will take your advice to dust them in some coconut flour first.

I am still in ketosis and it is definitely the way forward for me. I understand that it is a bit involved but for me watching numbers get higher and feeling like have energy for days is something I am loving. V like you said to 6T we all need to find what suits us and what works on a personal level. I am sure that no matter what we choose to do for the best for ourselves will pay off. I am still scared of all the fats and not calorie counting😱😂, but I am hoping with results going in the right direction I will soon say to myself get over it😉😍.

I hope you are still enjoying your time with your daughter Artful Owl 🦉? I do enjoy your posts😍. Maisiebeth how are you feeling today? Jennie10 2011! That did make me chuckle the worst one I found was 2016😂😂. I have got rid of all sweet chilli sauces and bbq sauces as I used to use them all the time to enhance things! The list of ingredients on the bottles just astounded me!! Let alone the sugar content😱. So we are all going to be eating a lot cleaner as it were. Morning Merry how are you today? I wish we were going into spring here too😭, but I do love the colours that autumn brings and the crisp cold mornings that my dogs love to walk in. I also get to wear my new coat that has been having in the wardrobe since before the summer😂. I love wrapping up and it fits me so much better now. ❤️ To all have an amazing Sunday and I will catch you all later. Love Birdy💞🦜(the Human pin cushion 😂)

• posted by Verano
    on

So tonight I made the Fast 800 recipe of beef rendang from the Daily Mail. It was lovely and was certainly enhanced by fresh coriander sprinkled on top after cooking and lime juice. I put in double the amount of chilli but would still add more and possibly a little more garlic. Anyway, it was really worth the effort and I think it will freeze well and is also probably a great recipe for a slow cooker. Was really pleased overall.

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

Hi all. Had a lovely day in the sunshine today, Criccieth on the North Wales Coast, beautiful and unspoilt. Sat and watched the family tuck into toasted teacakes while I had my black coffee and it actually didn’t bother me. I think because I know how well the WOE works, its no real hardship. I had packed a small bowl of greek yog and raspberries so had a sneaky spoonful everytime the waitress turned her back!
    Home tonight and I made the chicken goujons with the parmesan crust from the fast 800 recipe book, served with a salad bowl. Really tasty.
    I am really enjoying adding a bit of cheese to my diet. I have a pot with cubes of shropshire blue and I take one every now and then. Mostly I try to keep to them at mealtimes but it’s lovely just knowing they are there.
    Yesterday being official weigh day, I allowed myself a small treat in the evening. A treat size bag of maltesers. But I did the whole mindfulness thing. Savoured the aroma, the texture and the taste. Made them last longer and I think I appreciated them more. Used to before just eat one after another and then feel a bit cheated when the pack was empty! I think the slower eating and actually thinking about the food is quite a vital tool.
    My OH and I have just booked next year’s holiday so celebrate his 60th. We are heading to Italy where all the women are beautiful and stylish and if that isn’t incentive enough to get the weight off then I don’t know what is!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Ooh Maisiebeth how lovely! Italy is beautiful and I am sure you will look amazing!❤️ Now answer me this please, how the hell are most Italian women so flipping slim when their staple is pasta?!?!?😂😂

I had a whole avocado made in to guacamole today on top of a bed of wild rocket, watercress and spinach, with halluomi and baby gherkins! It was delicious. Tonight I had a pork Lon chop from my new butcher, fried it in butter then added creme fraiche and wholegrain mustard with Birdseye chilli in it. Lovely and spicy. Hope you have all had a good day. See you all tomorrow. Birdy🦜💞

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning all I am happy to report that I have discarded a pound this week. It may not seem a lot but it is to me as I am now under 14stone😃 13.13 or 83.37kg or 183 pounds. I am over the moon as it is the lightest I have been for 21 years😂😂.

Let’s see what this week brings! I am still so unsure of all the calories and fat I am consuming though. If I have another discard this week then I may begin to relax into it a bit more😂😂.

Hope you all have a fab day whatever you are doing.
    Hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Good morning everyone.
    Birdy, congratulations on breaking through your barrier, well done you!🥳🥳🤸‍♀️ It does feel great to get below a milestone from long again, I know we’re not supposed to take too much notice of the scales but we’re only human! I can share your joy, I’m the lightest I’ve been since a teenager.
    Do you think it’s down to your change over to keto? I do so agree with you the amount of fat and calories consumed goes completely against everything we’ve been told for years, it’s difficult to change focus. I tell myself not to look at calories but all those years of condition don’t go away in a few days. I’m sure we’ll relax eventually ! (I hope!) Focus on low carb🥴
    Have a great day in your new thinner world! Keep on Keto-ing on!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Well it’s the end of the first week of my keto experiment and I have to say I’m disappointed. I have disposed of just short of 1lb although earlier in the week it was 2.5lbs. I’m not expecting big losses because I’ve eaten low carb for years so no big water losses. Anyway, it’s back to the drawing board for me. I do like to weigh and log my food because it’s gives me a feeling of control. So I have a new notebook that I am going to write in rather than use FatSecret. I think when you physically write something down in black and white it makes it more real. I’m staying with keto for the moment but I think I need to be a little more mindful of my choices.
    Birdy glad you are happy with your progress, that what it’s all about really. We’re not in competition we are each but rather travelling our own path. So I hope everyone else is happy with their keto experience so far.
    Week 2 starts here!

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

Birdy, found this for you re the slim Italian women question – https://italytranslated.com/2015/03/23/la-bella-figura-10-reasons-italian-women-are-thin/ makes a lot of sense 🙂
    We went to Lake Garda last year and did a lot of people watching while sipping our Aperol Spritz. You could always tell the italians, there was generally a style and a confidence about them. There was one lady who really stood out for me, she wore white jeans with a blue shirt tucked in, loafers, minimal jewellery and make up and I think she was the most effortlessly stylish woman I have ever seen. That is what I aspire to, but maybe that is self negating because it wouldn’t be effortless!
    On balance I am really enjoying the keto woe. I have started having double cream in my coffee, enjoying cheese again and feeling very positive. The egg wraps are an epiphany. Lunch was 2 wraps, smoked salmon and mascarpone. Felt very luxurious.
    I have been struggling recently with so much science but reading the Dr Bosworth book this morning it suddenly became clear.
    Carbs turn to sugar in your blood, insulin is produced by your body to get rid of that sugar, what it can’t burn as fuel is stored in your fat cells. Consumed fat sails along with the blood without causing any issues. Simples! I think?

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

For you birdy, https://italytranslated.com/2015/03/23/la-bella-figura-10-reasons-italian-women-are-thin/ It all makes a lot of sense!

This may be duplicated as I wrote a long post earlier but it has just vanished! Probably me doing something silly rather than the thread.

I am enjoying the keto diet. love having cream in my coffee, feels very decadent. And cheese! I have missed cheese so it is lovely to bring it back. Egg wraps are a revelation, lunch consisted of 2 wraps, smoked salmon and mascapone, all very luxurious!
    Weight is going down well. This first week in keto saw a discard of about 2 1/2lb. I only want to lose another 10 or so so I am guessing it will start to really slow down soon.

I have been struggling with all the science recently but I was reading Dr Bowchers book and she summed it up for me. Basically carbs turn to sugar in your blood. Insulin is produced to clear the sugar from the blood by using it as fuel and getting your fat cells to hoover up the excess. The only way to clear the extra fat from the cells is to stop producing insulin. Fat sails through the blood unnoticed.
    I know it’s a very simplified explanation but I think I can finally get my head around it. It also explains why all those little extra snacks, a bit of fruit, a plain biscuit etc can make such a difference to the weight discard. Our bodies are amazing and very complicated things!

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Hi everyone this has just popped up on my Facebook feed, thought it might make interesting reading about the amount of fat we’re supposed to eat. That elephant in the room that, I for one am struggling with!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/much-fat-eat-ketogenic-diet

Verona, good luck with week 2, I’m sure things just need tweeking somewhere and your log keeping will make it become clear. You have shed weight not gained it., that has to be good
    Maisiebeth well done on your discard! I love egg wraps too, they’re so versatile and I’ve often used them for a meal when ive been travelling. OH and I are also excitedly planning a trip to Italy next year, which part are you going to?

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

That’s an interesting read Artful Owl, but doesn’t it contradict everything that we have been told. I thought we were supposed to increase our fat intake but the article says the opposite. Just when I thought I had it sussed!
    We are going to Sorrento next year. We did Lake Garda, staying at Salo, last year and loved it. Sorrento looks lovely and as it’s my OH’s 60th and he is also retiring on his birthday, we thought we would push the boat out and have a really classy and luxurious grown ups holiday.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Yet another bit of information to confuse me – do I increase or decrease fat?
    Also, is anyone taking MCT and if so are you using oil or powder?
    I am reading Dr Bosworth’s book and she seems to be recommending it to increase ketosis.
    X B

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Im really sorry, perhaps I shouldn’t have posted the link as, with hindsight, it is probably misleading. I was trying to show the ratio of macros and how to up fat intake when going into maintenance . But the comments underneath the diagrams is very confusing…. so my apologies everyone…. disregard🤯

Busybee I’ve never used MCT oil but I do use a lot of coconut oil in cooking as I can buy it locally in Lidl. Coconut oil does is made up of about 50% MCT fats whereas MCT oil is 100% pure. I know coconut oil helps you go into ketosis quicker and then stay there, so a bigger proportion of MCT will surely be even more effective.

Maisiebeth Lake Garda is beautiful isn’t it, I went there quite a few times in a previous life (with ex husband 😕). What a fantastic holiday you’ve got planned. I’ve driven round the Amalfi Coast but never stayed there, it is very beautiful, you need a head for heights in some places! . It’ll be a perfect place to celebrate your OH’s birthday. Pompeii and Herculeum are reachable from there too if you’re interested. We’re pushing the boat out too after 3 really challenging years ( with my daughter’s health) and are taking the whole trip by train. Paris to Zurich , a special scenic train through the Alps to Milan. Then down to Florence and on to Rome. The jury is out as to what we do then, hubby thinks we should come home but I want to push on to Sicily. Its somewhere I’ve always wanted to go, I’ll work on him😉

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Morning all!

Verano – ooh, the beef rendang is one of my favourites! A friend has borrowed my Fast 800 recipe book so I’m going to have to get it back so I can have that again.

Maisiebeth – glad you had a nice time in North Wales; my parents live in North Wales so we’re often in Llandudno and around Snowdonia. It’s very beautiful in places.

Birday – so happy for you getting under 14st! Brilliant; well done!

So, I’m going to continue testing BG and ketone levels to see how different foods work with my body. When I break my current fast for lunch today, I’m going to have poached eggs on half a slize of rye bread (probably with some butter and maybe a cheese slice!) and see how I react to that. I’m also planning on reading up on how exercise and stress impact BG levels as I need to understand that a bit better too – on Saturday, I measured BG 2 hours after a meal and then 4 hours after; the 4 hour reading was higher! Not sure why, so I’d like to understand that a bit more.

Not sure any of this will necessarily help me lose weight, but I’m finding it fascinating – first time in my life I think I’ve been really conscious of the link between what goes in my mouth and what happens in my body. I’ve always understood that what I eat or drink impacts my body (get fat, have a hangover etc) but I’m enjoying getting a more detailed understanding of the mechanisms and actual reactions in my body, as once I assimilate that knowledge I think it will help me unconsiously make better choices.

Or maybe I just like numbers and it won’t make any difference at all 😂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning Beegirl you are not alone in the confusion side of things. It is a little bit of trial and error and I am hoping I am not messing up all my hard work with too much error😱❤️ It would be interesting to see what stress does to BSL as I have packed up smoking! If I am not mistaken my BSL might be up slightly?? We shall see as more investigation is needed. I am dreading going to work a little as the girl I work with smokes and it is the first day being around her and cigarettes during the day😱😂😂.

B sorry for your gain and I am sure it will soon right itself.

Artful Owl no worries hun I am sure we are going to be reading lots of conflicting information while we navigate this woe. I am just going to plod on and see what happens. ❤️

Have a great day guys. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

That was meant to be V not B. Sorry 💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Busybee, I just finished Dr Bosworth’s book too and it’s a constant struggle in my head whether more or less fat?? I think I am going to stick with one (whatever I decide 😁) for a period of time and see how that works. Unfortunately, there is still so much trial and error because of how different we all are. I do know that whenever I eat cheese, even moderately, I gain. So, that’s banned for the time being. I’m also going to get some MCT powder – I read that it’s absorbed more easily than the oil and less chance of the runs!

• posted by Busybee
    on

I am still musing about it all but have decided to make a decision once we are back from Spain early next month.
    In the meantime the plan is to throw in a couple of egg fasts, in between eating TMAD whilst trying reducing protein and eating a little more fat though I too find I am eating too much cheese!
    Best laid plans………….. We’ll see how it goes.
    X B

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. Well two days back to eating low carb has been disastrous. Last week, following a keto no weighing or counting plan, seems to have suited me better than going back to my original BSD plan. Am I in a mess of what!!!!!!
    So this morning I weighed and measured myself. Day 1 again for me. I’m going to eat keto but try and be mindful of the fat. If this doesn’t work I may just have to accept that my weight will be my weight and no point in stressing over it. Anyway, one last try!
    Hope everyone else had a clear plan and is moving forward.

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

Hi All
    Artful Owl – your trip sounds amazing, I really hope you have a fabulous time. We are going to treat our holiday as a bit of a relax, get my OH used to retirement but we will definitely explore the area a bit and Pompeii is certainly on the list.

Beegirl – Love North Wales. We live in shropshire just over the border but it is my favourite direction to travel for a day out. Climbed Snowdon for the first time a few years ago aged 52, done it once since but unfortunately my knees were excruciating by the end of it so I think my mountain goat days are over! But there are still many fabulous, kinder walks.

I have been really trying hard on this keto diet and so far it seems to be working. My weight loss has been given a boost and I haven’t really struggled with it. Until today. Not gone off it but I am suddenly ravenously hungry. My mouth tastes and feels revolting and I have the shaky hungers. Had so many cups of creamed coffee and a small handful of nuts but I am trying to last until tea. If it wasn’t for the fact that the weight is coming off nicely I would be straight in the biscuit tin!

I have a solo few days away next week, revolving around a funeral on Wednesday, so I need to be back firmly on it otherwise there may just be too many temptations!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Maisiebeth on keto it is normal to feel hunger sooner, it is natural hunger and you should respond to it by eating. People who have been following the keto way get hungry between 12 and 24 hours and this is apparently ok. I was the same as you yesterday and have watched a couple of videos since which has pointed out that there is nothing wrong with feeding when hungry. I have pork scratching’s in the cupboard and they sort me out. I get mine from Waitrose as they only have two ingredients in them! Pork rinds and salt. They are called awfully posh😂😂. You mustn’t allow yourself to get the shakes hun. That is not good. It is yet another learning curve hun.

I have only lost a 1lb this week and I am fine with that at the moment. We will get used to this just as we did the BSD. ❤️❤️ I am loving the endless energy and am actually looking forward to going to work tonight and using it😂😂 never thought I would be saying that😂😂 hope this helps? 💞🦜

• posted by JGwen
    on

I had an interesting chat with a lady who trained as a nutritionalist today. – She is a genuine person interested in others views so we had an open conversation. Apparently the nutritionalists who say keto is dangerous and will do damage are basing this advice on a claim that after 3 months of eating no carbs your body will not longer produce the enzymes which are needed to digest carbs.

I can’t see how this is an accurate reflection of a keto diet, its not a no carb diet, its a keep carbs so low you are in ketosis diet. But that may explain why any nutritionalist would try to tell you keto is bad for you, they are mixing up keto and fat fast.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi JGwen very interesting. If you talk to any medical/nutritionist what they are actually doing is getting ketosis mixed up with ketoacidosis and that is why they say it is not sustainable and dangerous. Ketosis is a good state to be in and is very much sustainable but ketoacidosis is life threatening when our body produces excessive ketones that become out of control and get up to 10.0mmol/L causing the ph of our blood to become really acidic and this can occur in T1 patients and kill them. Sorry if you already knew that but I said I was going into ketosis to my friend who is a sister/nurse and she came back at me straight away and said be careful as you can die from ketosis. They are all miss informed unfortunately and even more unfortunate is that doctors only skim over nutrition when tracing to become doctors of say cardiovascular, or bloods so so on. They all know how to treat with medication but surely they should be taught prevention?!?! Sorry off of my soap box now.

I fell like I have been blindfolded all of my life! 💞🦜

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

Thanks Birdy. It’s strange tho. I have been doing this for over a week and not really felt hungry at all. But I suppose I have had a little bit of cheese to snack on when necessary and I have now finished that so am sort of going cold turkey! Will have a handful of nuts to tide me over until tea. OH would choose today to be late home so tea is later! Egg and bacon will sort me out no doubt 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Maisie I am sure it will, as long as you have at least 3 eggs and a half decent amount of bacon and all cooked in loads of butter 😉😉😉😉❤️ Enjoy hun. 💞🦜

Please log in or register to post a reply.