Exercising with a disability

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NormanDunn
    on

I have been on the diet for seven weeks and have managed to loose two stone so I am happy with that. My problem is that exercise is very difficult. I use a wheelchair full time and have arthritis in both shoulders. Any thoughts on what exercise I can do to make sure I do not stall in my weight loss.
    Thanks

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi, along with many other myths in the dieting world, the role of exercise in weight loss is under discussion. There are many experts now coming out and saying that exercise is not that important to weight loss – Dr Mosley is one of them. You’ve already lost two stone without exercising – very well done! But as it is not essential for weight loss, my two penneth would be to say do anything that you find enjoyable and nothing that you don’t. Exercise is great for well being so whatever you can do to enhance your well being will be beneficial.

• posted by NormanDunn
    on

Thanks, it is beneficial to hear this as the assumption is that without exercise the weight loss will diminish. I will continue as before doing what little I can manage and hope the weight loss keeps going, which will allow me to do a bit more.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I heard an interview recently on radio 2 with Dr Mosley and he said that diet and exercise can be likened to batman and robin. They make a good partnership but we all know that batman does all the real work! I liked that idea.

Interesting what you say about weight loss diminishing, this is another area in the news this week. It is now being suggested that caloric restriction causes the metabolism to slow down. This isn’t a new concept actually but its not something the big diet companies really wanted to broadcast. Introducing exercise onto a metabolism that is already impeded is not the answer. The new thinking around weight loss will be how to keep the metabolism high while still losing weight. One of the answers now being put forward for this is intermittent fasting, for instance Dr M’s 5:2 or the 16:8.

• posted by NormanDunn
    on

I can see that, I do intend to go onto the 5:2 diet when my eight weeks are up. By then our choices of meals will reflect the new style of eating learned throughout the last seven weeks.

I intend to do that for about a month then hopefully return to the full blown blood sugar diet until I complete the long road to my target weight. I do realise how long it has taken me to gain the weight so I am not expecting miracles in the task of loosing weight but this is the most encouraging diet I have tried for a sustained period of weight loss.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi NormanDunn
    Congratulations on your weight loss.
    Re exercise: Prof Taylor said to concentrate on losing weight then as you feel more able bring in exercise. The important thing on his trial diet to reverse diabetes was to lose the weight

I used to do Tai Chi & found it very calming & beneficial. It was also good for balance. I must find a class again.
    Type in to Google Tai Chi sitting down & go into You Tube. Lots of it there & it helps with so many other things as well as diabetes. Give it a go

• posted by NormanDunn
    on

Thanks for the tai Chi suggestion

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Norman, I echo what janet has said! Personally speaking I have lost 3 stones while doing very little in the way of exercise, I did 8 weeks of thefast 800 and for thelast 8 weeks i have increased calories but eat no starchy carbs, well, except for a GF brownie last week which caused me problems!

Keep doing what you are doing, it must be right if you have lost 2 stones 🙂

• posted by NormanDunn
    on

Thanks for the encouragement, three stone loss here I come…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi norman I have got to say i like the tai chi idea. You can do all those head and arm movements from your chair 🙂

• posted by AlanChantler
    on

At last! I’ve found some people who might understand my position.

I too am effectively paraplegic thanks to some radio therapy administered over 34 years ago. I am also Type 2 diabetic. I enjoyed reading the book but was disheartened by chapter 8 as I knew that Getting Active as encouraged was not an option for me. However, what I read here is encouraging so I shall talk with my GP about the possibility of following the 800 Fast diet.

I do not know my weight as I am unable to stand on the scales but I just know that I need to lose a lot!

• posted by shalimar
    on

I am currently in a yoga class … but i have several problems with my feet, one knee is almost always swollen and very sensitive to having any pressure on it, and i have eroded discs in my back and recurring sciatic nerve problems … my yoga teacher has suggested chair yoga but i haven’t tried it yet.

Please log in or register to post a reply.