Egg Pasta v Whole Wheat Pasta

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kazd
    on

I am fairly sure in the book that Egg Pasta was advocated over Whole Wheat Pasta. Having looked at the nutritional content it seems that Whole Wheat comes out top although for taste for me it would be egg pasta. I have found some recipes for Whole Wheat Egg Pasta and in fact Waitrose do a fresh version that just consists of Whole Wheat Flour, Semolina, Eggs and Water.

Your thoughts please.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I would say that most people on this diet don’t eat any pasta as it encourages us to continue with a carb craving. Getting rid of all starchy carbs completely gives your body a chance to get over any cravings. No pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no bread, and so on, not of any type or colour. The operative word in your post I WHEAT, which turns to sugar in the blood stream. If you are being strict and doing the BDS800 then there is no wriggle room for the number of calories in pasta eighter. it might be fine for you if you are not intending to be as strict as 800 cals or even low carbs, but it will slow down your weight loss and not help your blood glucose (I note you are not diabetic). Hope that helps.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The book doesn’t advocate any pasta, as far as I can recall. Pasta is in the easily digestible carb category with bread, potatoes, cereal and rice, and thus should ideally be avoided all together. Besides, it’s so high in carbs that one 2 oz serving could easily max out your allotted daily carb grams, and that’s one of those serving sizes that is very often overshot because 2 oz is a tiny amount.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

‘fraid sunshine and Esnecca are right, ALL pasta is a no-no on the BSD800 and hanging on to it, will make it harder to get rid of the carb cravings and impede your weight loss. Best to ditch all the simple carbs straight off and use veggies and protein to fill the gap.

• posted by Kazd
    on

Thank you all for your responses. Oh well, maybe on high days and feast days then. I am not diabetic but have been diagnosed with high blood sugar due to excess weight and have 4/5 stone that I would ideally like to lose, although to be fair at my age (53) I would be happy with 2-3 stone. I am not strictly following any particular diet as such but keeping to low GI foods and obvious carbs, cakes, biscuits, ice-cream, chocolate etc. I am still eating occasional new potatoes, last night for e.g. I had cod baked in a foil bag with lime, black pepper and butter, this was accompanied by 4/5 new potatoes, green beans and creamed spinach. Lunch today was an omelette but with 3 left over new potatoes fried with the peppers and spring onions, topped with cheese. Dinner tonight was a chicken stew made with barley and vegetables, served with broccoli, asparagus, green beans and creamed spinach (are you detecting a theme here with the spinach).

I have been doing this since Monday and I have also been taking in FF Greek Yogurt topped with fresh strawberries and frozen fruit topper (peach, mango, grapefruit) for breakfast. I will definitely lose weight this with as my body is used to having an ice-cream lolly and usually chocolate as well on at least 4/5 night out of 7. The jury is out on exactly how much weight I can lose but so far this week I have lost approx 2.5lbs (i know water weight but its a good start)

Please log in or register to post a reply.