Eating 'on the road'

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AlexX
    on

Hi all
    I am one week into the Fast800 and pleased with my progress however I am off on a short trip in the UK and don’t want to de-rail. Do you have budget friendly suggestions for eating? I am thinking cottage cheese (supermarkets), boiled eggs (M&S, Boots, Pret), salad . I might have to work out what sort of things to eat before I go.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

• posted by PeggyCarterRogers
    on

I’m watching with interest as I’m away for a few days next week too! I’ll be staying in a hotel but can’t afford to eat there every night, and won’t have refrigeration facilities. Interested to see what people suggest!

• posted by AlexX
    on

I thinks I’ll be relying on those bowl salads that supermarkets have, maybe with some additional protein and seeds. That might get boring after a few days, though. I’m sure there are things to eat that I haven’t thought of. I’ll be staying in B&Bs and moving on everyday so I can have open packets.

• posted by Knitpurl
    on

We often eat at Wetherspoons. Most have 5* food hygiene ratings. I choose a skinny chicken burger without the bun (just chicken breast and salad) or for a treat the steak and salad. There are other options. Nice if you want to feel you’ve eaten out but not bust the bank – or the diet!

KP

• posted by AlexX
    on

Thanks for the idea,Knitpurl. After posting I researched shakes and have found one high protein, low carb, low sugar made of things you can recognise (protein & seeds & fibre) so I bought some and will take enough to make a shake at lunchtime – then I only have to make a decision in the evening.

• posted by Williecowan
    on

My blood sugar is creeping up (am type2) so I want to start this diet a sap, but go on holiday to Spain in 4 weeks time.
    So I am afraid I can’t maintain it when abroad ( self catering) and also concerned about feeling poorly when on hols!!
    Any advice out there?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Williecowan
    Give it a go! – You may not stick to the 800 calories while you’re away, but if you’re four weeks in and having good results, that will be a great incentive not to overindulge!
    If you’re in Spain that’ll be ideal for the Mediterranean diet style of eating.

The worst that can happen is that you stick to it for four weeks, eat normally or less healthily while you’re away, then revert back to the BSD when you get back.

I was ‘wait until after my birthday, holiday…. ” then I just decided to start
    Two and a bit weeks in, I’ve had my birthday (celebration roast potato and a glass of wine, NO cake), am just back from one break where I fitted in some really good walks, no major slip ups eating-wise, and looking forward to a holiday in a couple of weeks time.

Hope it goes well

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi I’m nearly 24 weeks into this. I’ve had 2 residential conferences in that time plus a holiday in Prague. I’m on holiday in Italy now. My suggestion would be to stay eating low carb. Self-catering can be easier because you control what you buy, rather than having to make choices in hotel. I’m staying with friends. We went shopping for foods I can eat that they might not have in. They eat pasta – I don’t. It was ice cream restaurant yesterday, Nothing I could have and portions were huge so I had sparkling water. Not easy. But I don’t want to be ill again. And I don’t want to be ill in a different country.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi all

I sometimes have to travel, and one thing which you can do is to buy from a local supermarket a packet of ham, or chicken, or beef slices, and some sliced cheese – I enjoy Emmenthal, but there are many alternatives – and then wrap the two together, to make a savoury roll which appears quite small but is incredibly filling. If you have the carbs available, these are also delicious wrapped round a half or whole small head of chicory.

Easy to put together in your hotel room! I was in Cologne last week, and enjoyed some local ham with some local cheese in this way, and the whole thing was amazingly satisfying.

Hope this helps

Please log in or register to post a reply.