Do I add back in Exercise calories earned?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ChrisBroster
    on

Hi all I am 2 weeks into 800Kcal BSD and have lost 11 pounds which is great. Currently I am running every other day for 2-3 miles which ‘earns’ me 200-400 Kcal ‘back’.
    So far I have only been adding back 100-200 Kcal when I think I really need it. Never gone over 1000 kcal total.
    Is this right I’ve Net kcal must be 800 or less , or is the BSD a finite 800 kcal regardless of exercise?
    Thanks Chris

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi ChrisBroster,
    My interpretation of the book is that for BSD800 it’s the 800 calories. BUT I don’t run 2-3 miles. I regularly walk 2-3kms.
    Take a good look at your stats and consider things like how you feel after your run, have you been losing weight on the 1000kcal? Look at the whole package – you know your body better than anyone else.
    I know from the various threads that there are people on the BSD that run. They should be able to help.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi ChrisBroster, like you I added back in about 50 percent of my big workouts. I think you almost have to because otherwise you will probably just get too hungry. Also, I think the extra protein (which is what I invariably wanted and what I tended to supplement) is good for retaining muscle mass. I’m week 10, lost over eight inches at my waistline — what I did not lose is muscle, which is a first for me on a diet. It’s been a perfect outcome and I also had a lot of energy for workouts (no freaky low blood sugar days). I’m a skier, bicyclist, swimmer, cross-fitter.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

ChrisBooster
    Like Switzerland has said you know your own body and capabilities.
    If you up your calories then your weight loss will possibly take longer……..unless as Californiagirl says you find you need it.
    Experiment.
    Personally I have always tried to stick to the 800 mark and I’ve been fine.
    I am on Week 15 and far from an athlete at 63.
    However I’ve upped my exercise and in the last two days have burned over 4,800 calories according to my Fitbit doing exercise classes and playing tennis. Chuffed to have lost 3lbs in that time……and I don’t feel hungry at all.
    Impossible to advise you, as you are the best judge……can only report my experience.

• posted by ChrisBroster
    on

Thanks everyone, I think I will keep on trying to stick to 800 but adding back in up to half my exercise calories. Day 17 and 15 lbs lost so still working. Inches coming off waist but muscle remaining I think.

on

Excellent outcome! A bit more calories seems to protect muscle — let us know as you move forward!

• posted by Timmy
    on

One thing that you need to bear in mind is that cardiovascular activity can put you in a catabolic state which means that your body will go looking for an energy source and if none is available through what you eat, then it might first and foremost go for the muscle. A way to make sure that this doesn’t happen is to eat the right thing at the right time. I’m not an expert on this, but a partially informed layperson, so I would suggest speaking to an expert in the context of doing the BSD also which makes in quite difficult!

As a general rule, I believe it would be advisable to eat whatever small amount of carbs you are consuming a few hours before you go running. Although as I said, please get this checked out by an expert first and don’t rely on what I said!

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Hi Californiagirl,
    i’ve been wondering how to maintain muscle mass on 800 cals per day.i keep my carbs to an absolute minimum, just relying on what i can get from veg and some fruits. The bulk of my diet is protein but i’m currently recovering from Sciatica and find that walking (with some light jogging involved) is the only way to manage the pain. I have noticed some loss of muscle mass but i don’t want to start eating more than i should so I can stay true to this diet.

So far i’ve lost 16lbs in 3 weeks which i am very pleased with and do feel a lot better for it.

How do I stick to 800 cals without losing too much muscle but maintain a steady weight loss throughout?

I am going to start a Pilates class soon which as i understand it is resistance training without weights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It’s really encouraging to read the posts.

Regards,

Trinity1814

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Trinity, depending on what weight you (or anyone else) is starting out and and weight you want to get to, will have varying degrees of muscle mass loss. It’s clearly better to lose as little muscle mass as possible, but if someone has several stone to lose then they will inevitably lose some muscle (otherwise we’d all end up looking like Arnie!).

The best way to stop losing muscle mass is through weights and/or strength training like Pilates whilst also eating a good source of lean, and usable, protein shortly after the workout.

I say usable protein as not all protein is the same. Usable protein is made up of 8 different amino acids (I can’t remember which ones now), and different foods have different amount of these amino acids. The human body needs the combination of the 8 amino acids to help repair/build muscle, so if your protein source doesn’t contain all 8 amino’s then it’s not really going to help. Also, different foods have varying quantities of the 8 aminos, and therefore different levels of usefulness. Eggs are by far and away the best source of usable protein, containing something like 28g of USABLE protein per 30g of protein. The next best are things like fish and lean meat such as chicken.

You can also combine two or three food sources which don’t individually contain the 8 amino’s but when eaten together will provide you with them. I’ve seen a chart in another book I read that had the different combination, but I’m wary to post it here as I’m not sure if it’s allowed! And also, some of the sources are things that we are trying to avoid, e.g rice! The book tells a similar story though, in that low GL is the way forward.

I’m pretty sure if you google food combination to provide 8 muscle building amino acids it will come up with something. Just be sure to avoid the combo’s that include lots of starchy carbs!

• posted by Trinity1814
    on

Hi Timmy, thanks for your knowledgeable feedback; much appreciated!

Since i started this 3 weeks ago the types of protein i’ve been eating are, chicken and other white meats, oily fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, bulgar wheat and quinoa, chickpeas and its derivative hummus; making sure i combine rapeseed or sunflower oil to add more flavour and make it more satisfying. Are there any other foods i should consider??

I haven’t been counting the protein or fat grams and don’t know for sure how much i’m supposed to have other than the rough guide of 1 gram of protein per kg or lb of body weight; i can’t remember which it is but i think this measurement applies to athletes, body builders and weightlifters. Should i be measuring the proteins and fat or just stick to carbs and calories?

My weight today was 15st 11lbs and i’ve lost 16lbs in 3 weeks. I’m 5′-11″ but i’ve always carried the weight well. How much protein should i be eating??

I haven’t eaten any white and or starchy carbs and confine my intake to some fruits and veg.

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Trinity.

• posted by AArrrt
    on

Day One!
    It seems there is no concluded view concerning diet starters like me who have been involved with an exercise regime for some time. Mr Moseley is silent on this
    I run every second day, totalling about 120 km per month, made up of distances from 5 to 22km.
    Ms Nike tells me that on average I am expending about 90 calories per km – in 5k I have clocked 456 calories, 16 km uses 1470 calories etc.
    Common sense would suggest adding back at least the daily deficit on days when there is one (over 5k) to preserve the 800 level, or adjust to some other figure. I intend to monitor my condition carefully, and am aware of the possible implications,but would appreciate advice from people who have dealt with this successfully.
    Thanks
    AArrrt

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Personally, I just stick to the 800 cals a day. I sit there rather satisfied when I see the calories I’ve burned due to exercise. Mind you, due to ill health I can’t do an awful lot – but I do walk the dogs!!

I guess you could use them as a back up if you get a severe case of the munchies – but otherwise I think I would leave them be!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

on

I still think you have to add “exercise-burned” calories back in, to some degree (maybe your personal threshold, based on trial and error) and my personal experience suggests that high quality protein (beef (steak my favorite), chicken, fish, eggs) and extra fat (cheese, nuts) is best. When I don’t add some back, I am hungry, tired and can easily fall off the wagon in a desperate hungry state where nothing seems to make me satisfied. I would just try to find your own sweet spot. Every body is different.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I don’t personally add them back in, for example I burned about 2000 (at least) on exercise on Saturday last, plus all I burned just from moving about. It just makes the weight loss quicker I think, as last week’s loss was very good for me. I did find I was hungery the day after the exercise, plus pretty sore and tired lol

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I didn’t add them back either and I believe that helped my weight loss.

But judge from how you feel. The science clearly demonstrates that you will burn fat for energy and most of us have plenty to burn.

My advice is only add back in if physically you feel weak.

Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by ChrisBroster
    on

Hi all,
    Just an update. I finished my 8 week BSD some 4 weeks ago.
    Results were
    26lb lost, now 14 St for a 1.82m(6ft) ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hb1ac down from 89 to 47 ๐Ÿ™‚
    Cholesterol down from 6.1 to 3.9 ๐Ÿ™‚

Overall I’m really pleased, as is my Doctor who has set me the task of maintaining that for 6 months before he adjusts my medication or…takes me off it?

Now on 5:2 diet with 1600:800 Kcal for 3 months then I’ll go up to 2000:800 for another 3 months. The key difference is changing lifestyle and type of food really not the quantity.

I am now running 3-4 times a week and doing gym workouts too. This has really made a difference to me.

Keep up the hard work everyone it’s worth it

Chris

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Fabulous results, Chris, really well done! You must be made up!

You are quite right that the difference is the change of lifestyle and type of food, which brings such amazing results. I speak as one who arose bright and breezy at 6am this morning, had the coffee made by 7am (no sugar made, gave it up ๐Ÿ™‚ ), and is still feeling great (not planning breakfast, will go for lunch) just before 9am.

Very best of luck with keeping it all going for 6 months, I’m sure you can. There is a thread here for people who’ve finished, and want to keep themselves on track by recording their weight every month (I think they’ve decided) to get the support of everyone. Might be good for you? I’m planning on joining when I have shed my last couple of pounds, later on this month.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Great results Chris. Very inspiring too. Let us know how you get on with your version of 5:2.

Like Ziggy, Nursebean and Igorasusual I haven’t added the calories back when I exercise. Personal choice here I’m sure but I agree that it helps with a quicker weight loss and fat burn.
    Last week for instance I played a game of tennis 3 times, did a 5 mile walk, a Zumba class, Spin, Body Combat and Yoga.
    My Fitbit tells me I’ve burnt anything from 1,500 to 2,000 calories every day last week. I’ve definitely not eaten that amount of calories and I haven’t felt ill or weak either.
    This is only my personal experience. I’m not a super athlete and I probably don’t approach some of these activities with extreme gusto. I’m an ordinary, fairly-active retired woman who was previously 3 stone heavier than now.

So AArrrt… you are an awful lot fitter than me and probably a lot younger so hope my answer is a bit of help with your decision.

• posted by Clparsonz
    on

Well done ChrisBroster!!

• posted by AArrrt
    on

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Now nearly completed week 3 with substantial weight reduction (3.2 kg) and no hunger.
    I do feel a bit weak when doing longer runs, so have adjusted a bit.
    All good so far!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Some really inspiring posts in this thread. Chris, that’s a fantastic outcome. Not just the weight loss but the other indicators.

And congrats to everyone else, too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.